Hi guys,

My friend is happily married in Australia and has children (everyone Australian citizen by birth)

He went abroad to a Middle Eastern country about 3 years, got married and had a child (about two years old now) - they are lawfully married in that country.

His child is an Australian Citizen by descent and has a valid passport.

He now wants to bring his "wife" and daughter to Australia and needs some guidance.

He was looking at de facto partner visa and parent visa (as she is under 18, he was going to sponsor her as he is a direct relative of the child) - but his unsure if either of these are in the right direction.

I know its an odd scenario, but I know in the middle east its not uncommon for people to be married to multiple women.

Please provide come guidance, thank you!

The second marriage will not be recognised by Australian immigration so a spouse visa is out of the question. I would contact an agent to look at other possibilities.

I do hope people stick to the visa issues, the personal circumstances are not that unusual in other countries and should not be judged here.

• Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

7 hours ago, Kawa223 said:

He was looking at de facto partner visa

To be considered to be in a de facto relationship you must, amongst other criteria, “have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others” (my emphasis added)  

• Like 1

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post.