Bulya

Brit tea drinkers moving to Australian-style coffee

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

My youngest works in Dome, a decent coffee outlet here. When we were on holiday in the UK we went into Stockport on the bus for a swim. After we called in a cafe for a coffee near the bus stand. Got an instant nescafe, out of a big catering tin, big mugs though. Went to sit down and there were signs on the walls about not leaving your bag unattended, so they wouldn't get nicked. My son couldn't believe that someone would steal a bag whilst they went up for a coffee.

Aussie kids lack a bit of street wiseness. Bit dodgy around Stockport bus station.😅

Are you sure the signs about not leaving your bags unattended were so they didn’t get nicked? Many bus/train stations, just like airports have signs up saying that. It’s a security notice because of what an unattended bag could contain. I’ve never seen a sign that says don’t leave your bag in case it gets nicked but I have seen many that say don’t leave your bags unattended which is a security notice as police will clear an entire area and call in the bomb squad if a bag is suddenly left without its owner with it. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Parley said:

Most of the tradies i've seen are more likely to buy a pie with sauce and a can of coke.

Not here in Canberra.  They queue for high grade covfefe 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, newjez said:

My wife doesn't like my espresso machine. Don't know why. She prefers a cafetiere with creamy milk. Personal preference I guess.

I don't like home espresso machines much either, as a rule. 

A few years ago, I had to buy some espresso machines for the tea rooms at work, and I went on the internet to research the best options.  I discovered a site called CoffeeGeek (I think) which had an astonishing amount of advice.    The bottom line, basically, was that there wasn't a home espresso machine that could produce anything close to a barista-made coffee from a professional espresso machine.  You might as well just buy a moka pot, because that produces a better cup than a home machine.  

That may have changed, who knows. Most people seem to have moved on to capsule machines which are no use at all.  I need at least two capsules to make one half-decent cup and my husband needs three or four.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

This is my home machine which produces a nice cup I think.

https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/espresso/bes920.html

There are lots of inputs into a good coffee though, the beans of course are important too.

Commercial machines can cost $20000 or more, but i think a lot of that is about being able to produce a lot of coffees quickly.

I want it all, and I want it now.

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I don't like home espresso machines much either, as a rule. 

A few years ago, I had to buy some espresso machines for the tea rooms at work, and I went on the internet to research the best options.  I discovered a site called CoffeeGeek (I think) which had an astonishing amount of advice.    The bottom line, basically, was that there wasn't a home espresso machine that could produce anything close to a barista-made coffee from a professional espresso machine.  You might as well just buy a moka pot, because that produces a better cup than a home machine.  

That may have changed, who knows. Most people seem to have moved on to capsule machines which are no use at all.  I need at least two capsules to make one half-decent cup and my husband needs three or four.

No, I hate capsule machines.

Mine is about the cheapest espresso machine you can get. It has a steamer but I never use it. It just forces water through the coffee and gives a nice creamer. As good as any shop coffee I've tasted.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

8 hours ago, Parley said:

There are lots of inputs into a good coffee though, the beans of course are important too.

Commercial machines can cost $20000 or more, but i think a lot of that is about being able to produce a lot of coffees quickly.

That’s very posh.  Mine is a kettle and some Nescafé Gold. 

• Like 5

When it all boils down, (pardon the pun) it is only water and a flavouring of your choice.

But then there is tira misu...Ahhh

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 3

I've got a delonghi dedica. I just looked it up and they are £190. I paid less than £100 for it. Must have been on a special. The only problem I have is that it won't fill a cup. It gives about a cm shot, so I have to press the button five times to fill a cup. I have about three cups in the morning, then I'm buzzing so I switch to green or herbal tea. I can't drink normal tea. It makes me feel sick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

When it all boils down, (pardon the pun) it is only water and a flavouring of your choice.

But then there is tira misu...Ahhh

Cheers, Bobj.

Plenty of covfefe in that.  

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Are you sure the signs about not leaving your bags unattended were so they didn’t get nicked? Many bus/train stations, just like airports have signs up saying that. It’s a security notice because of what an unattended bag could contain. I’ve never seen a sign that says don’t leave your bag in case it gets nicked but I have seen many that say don’t leave your bags unattended which is a security notice as police will clear an entire area and call in the bomb squad if a bag is suddenly left without its owner with it. 

If you see the types hanging round Stockport I'm pretty sure it was so they didn't get nicked.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, newjez said:

I've got a delonghi dedica. I just looked it up and they are £190. I paid less than £100 for it. Must have been on a special. The only problem I have is that it won't fill a cup. It gives about a cm shot, so I have to press the button five times to fill a cup. I have about three cups in the morning, then I'm buzzing so I switch to green or herbal tea. I can't drink normal tea. It makes me feel sick.

I think you are doing it wrong. You will over extract and get a bitter result.

Your machine is probably giving you one shot of espresso, like a short black.

Try filling your cup 3/4 full with hot water first and just add one shop of coffee from your machine on top.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Try filling your cup 3/4 full with hot water first and just add one shop of coffee from your machine on top.

I'll give it a shot. But I fear it may taste watery. I like my coffee like my women. Bitter and strong.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Parley said:

Tried it, but it really wasn't very nice.

Posted (edited)
On 04/03/2021 at 12:30, newjez said:

Tried it, but it really wasn't very nice.

Try a double shot then or use a smaller cup.

But don't keep pushing water through a head of coffee that has already been extracted. Add more fresh coffee.

More expensive machines produce more pressure and will get more flavour out of the coffee. The machine needs to be warmed up too, left on for 10 minutes or so before brewing. Nice fresh beans is the other factor and put those together and you get a nice coffee as a result.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

But don't keep pushing water through a head of coffee that has already been extracted. Add more fresh coffee.

More expensive machines produce more pressure and will get more flavour out of the coffee. The machine needs to be warmed up too, left on for 10 minutes or so before brewing. Nice fresh beans is the other factor and put those together and you get a nice coffee as a result.

I don't have a problem with the taste. It is just annoying pressing the button. You can program it to do a longer shot, but it seems to forget.

Personally I think there's something wrong with my machine. A double shot only lasts for four seconds. I would have thought an espresso shot should go for longer than that. My wife took out one of those five year warranties when she bought it, so if it stops working I'll get another one. But I can't be bothered getting someone to look at it. It still makes a good cup of coffee.

1 hour ago, newjez said:

Personally I think there's something wrong with my machine. A double shot only lasts for four seconds. I would have thought an espresso shot should go for longer than that. My wife took out one of those five year warranties when she bought it, so if it stops working I'll get another one. But I can't be bothered getting someone to look at it. It still makes a good cup of coffee.

Yes that doesn't sound right. Mine counts down from 30 seconds.

I don't like coffee so maybe I'm wrong but, coffee doesn't seem the big deal here that it is in Australia. Everybody out walking in Oz used to have a coffee on them, don't really see that here. Granted, if you're walking down Bond St or Carnaby St that might be different but, normal places, I don't see it.

The comments about Aussie tradies being connoisseurs made me laugh. All the ones I saw having a chicken sausage and a can of monster for their brekkies must have been the exceptions.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, s713 said:

I don't like coffee so maybe I'm wrong but, coffee doesn't seem the big deal here that it is in Australia. Everybody out walking in Oz used to have a coffee on them, don't really see that here. Granted, if you're walking down Bond St or Carnaby St that might be different but, normal places, I don't see it.

The comments about Aussie tradies being connoisseurs made me laugh. All the ones I saw having a chicken sausage and a can of monster for their brekkies must have been the exceptions.

They were.  Bloody hard to get a covfefe here early in the morning.  And they usually clean out all the croissants too!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, s713 said:

First job site I worked on in sydney apprentice would do the smoko run , around 15 cups a day he would bring back along with pies , / bacon and egg rolls etc

A lot of flaff over a hot beverage.

I have a capsule machine and the shop in blue water sells about a million different types, surely they can't all be crap?

Anyway I have 1.5 tea spoons of kenco granules, no milk.  I don't have the time or inclination to worry about expresso, espresso, crème, flat, americano, froth, beans, bla bla bla.

If it's that complicated then I will have a nice cup of tea. (In a mug or cup - I don't care)

• Sad 1

On 06/03/2021 at 07:41, newjez said:

Check the instructions on mine you can re programme it to last longer

On 28/02/2021 at 17:26, simmo said:

Yes the Greeks, Italian, Spanish even Turks make great coffee.  The little independent cafés are where to get it.  We even have them here😂

Well I never.  Fancy that.  😐

All this perfecting the perfect coffee sounds about as hard work as that internet dating malarkey. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

All this perfecting the perfect coffee sounds about as hard work as that internet dating malarkey. 

I was just thinking the same thing Tulip.

• Like 1