Bulya

Brit tea drinkers moving to Australian-style coffee

9 hours ago, simmo said:

The shots are the same size. The rest is water and frothy milk with a pretty pattern.  

Some facts; 

Coffee is as good (probs better) in Europe than Australia. The Aussie coffee thing is Aussies being Aussies desperately  trying to be to the best in the world at something (anything). The term long white or flat white is a bastardisation of something available for hundreds of years in Europe just called something else you just need to know what you are ordering.  

The op in its article post ed a picture of a bloke posing beside an Italian coffee machine.  I suppose these are modified to make "Aussie coffee" 😂

In Scotland the coffee (from proper coffee shops) is stronger, with a more bitter taste due to the strong Italian influence (and Italians know a thing or two about coffee).

The Australian coffee if find is smoother and less bitter, probably less authentic from a European perspective but I personally prefer it. I know many people who take the opposite view and prefer the Italian style coffee/taste/strength. In Scotland I only ever have an espresso after dinner, whereas in Australia I enjoy coffee in the morning, due to the taste differences. One isn’t better than the other, personal taste more than anything.

• Like 2

:evilface_frowning_s

16 hours ago, simmo said:

I never go to those. So many great little cafés do real coffee for half the price.

Good call.  Probably plenty of them where you are as well.  When I left the UK there weren't many independent coffee shops, and I don't remember any in the bit of the UK I was living in. Lots of tea shops, but the coffee there was usually instant or from a (bad) coffee machine at the time.  Used to go to places like Starbucks and Costa fairly frequently before we moved.  Last time I was back in the UK I tried getting coffees from such places and regretted it instantly.  

• Like 1

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

7 hours ago, MacGyver said:

In Scotland the coffee (from proper coffee shops) is stronger, with a more bitter taste due to the strong Italian influence (and Italians know a thing or two about coffee).

The Australian coffee if find is smoother and less bitter, probably less authentic from a European perspective but I personally prefer it. I know many people who take the opposite view and prefer the Italian style coffee/taste/strength. In Scotland I only ever have an espresso after dinner, whereas in Australia I enjoy coffee in the morning, due to the taste differences. One isn’t better than the other, personal taste more than anything.

I agree.  Although Australia's passion for coffee was learned from the Italian migrants, the Australian taste is for a smooth flavour, whereas both the French and the Italians in Europe prefer a more bitter blend.   As you say, it's taste - mainly what you grow up with.   In France and Italy, people had to mix the best beans with cheape stuff to make it affordable, and since everyone grows up with that taste, they prefer it.  I find it too bitter.   

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

17 hours ago, simmo said:

Some facts; 

Coffee is as good (probs better) in Europe than Australia. The Aussie coffee thing is Aussies being Aussies desperately  trying to be to the best in the world at something (anything).

You would say that (of course).  Your "facts" aren't shared by foodie nerds  including Heston Blumenthal  who, after his 2013 visit,  nominated Australian coffee ("decent coffee") as one of the 5 Australian food trends he wanted the UK to adopt.   

I often have to explain to people that the best coffee you can get is in Australia. They can’t quite believe it.

No one's disputing the fact that the Oz coffee culture was developed by post WW2 European migrants, notably the Italians.  

• Like 3

I was really surprised to hear the other day that coffee is grown in Australia. It's less than 1% of the coffee consumed in Australia so I guess that helped it slip under the radar, but still surprised not to have heard about it before.

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

1 hour ago, Ken said:

I was really surprised to hear the other day that coffee is grown in Australia. It's less than 1% of the coffee consumed in Australia so I guess that helped it slip under the radar, but still surprised not to have heard about it before.

Grown in Qld 

49 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Grown in Qld 

NSW as well - ABC included a farm "near Byron Bay" in their report.

• Like 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

Grown in Qld 

There is a small orchard in Proserpine, about 5000 bushes.

One of the most fragrant of flowers. I have a coffee bush, grown from seed from a neighbouring bush.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NicF said:

Good call.  Probably plenty of them where you are as well.  When I left the UK there weren't many independent coffee shops, and I don't remember any in the bit of the UK I was living in. Lots of tea shops, but the coffee there was usually instant or from a (bad) coffee machine at the time.  Used to go to places like Starbucks and Costa fairly frequently before we moved.  Last time I was back in the UK I tried getting coffees from such places and regretted it instantly.  

Some of the best coffee is from builders cafes. A lot of people are too stuck up to go in them so they miss out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simmo said:

Some of the best coffee is from builders cafes. A lot of people are too stuck up to go in them so they miss out. 

Do they have espresso machines in builders' cafes?

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I know most people don't care, but Barista bought coffee is hugely destructive to the environment. I make that statement on the basis of the following presumptions:

(1) Most people don't own or utilise a keep cup (2) Most people who buy Barista coffee will buy more than one coffee a week in a disposable cup (3) Most people will throw that disposable cup into landfill if there is no recycling bin available. 

Now multiply the above over millions of people every day and I think it could become an environmental problem. Happy to be corrected though.

16 minutes ago, Red Rose said:

I know most people don't care, but Barista bought coffee is hugely destructive to the environment. I make that statement on the basis of the following presumptions:

(1) Most people don't own or utilise a keep cup (2) Most people who buy Barista coffee will buy more than one coffee a week in a disposable cup (3) Most people will throw that disposable cup into landfill if there is no recycling bin available. 

Now multiply the above over millions of people every day and I think it could become an environmental problem. Happy to be corrected though.

I always buy barista made coffee. I always sit down and drink it in the cafe, in a china cup. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Are you asking me if all builders cafes have espresso machines?

I doubt it

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I always buy barista made coffee. I always sit down and drink it in the cafe, in a china cup. 

I always drink coffee in a china cup. It spoils the taste if you don't.

Although to be honest, most of my coffee comes from my own coffee machine. 

Edited by newjez

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Same, I hate take away in a paper cup.  

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

You know when it’s good coffee if it’s busy early on with tradies 

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

I’d have thought the food had more to do with that. Also it depends on your definition of good coffee. Some people think the filter stuff is fine 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I’d have thought the food had more to do with that. Also it depends on your definition of good coffee. Some people think the filter stuff is fine 

My youngest works in Dome, a decent coffee outlet here. When we were on holiday in the UK we went into Stockport on the bus for a swim. After we called in a cafe for a coffee near the bus stand. Got an instant nescafe, out of a big catering tin, big mugs though. Went to sit down and there were signs on the walls about not leaving your bag unattended, so they wouldn't get nicked. My son couldn't believe that someone would steal a bag whilst they went up for a coffee.

Aussie kids lack a bit of street wiseness. Bit dodgy around Stockport bus station.😅

When I worked in North Manchester I used to lock my car whilst returning my trolley in the car park.  Not paranoid, people would watch cars a distance from the trolley parks (you had to return the trolley for your pound) and nick the bags of groceries from the boot and run!

I still do it, and I never leave stuff on my table when ordering coffee.  It still surprises me that people leave expensive phones and bags unattended.

• Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Going by experience Butchers block in Turramurra opens 5.30 am full of tradies  picking  up a coffee, no food 🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Trades couldn't possibly know what good coffee is. 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Going by experience Butchers block in Turramurra opens 5.30 am full of tradies  picking  up a coffee, no food 🤷‍♂️

Most of the tradies i've seen are more likely to buy a pie with sauce and a can of coke.

• Confused 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Parley said:

Most of the tradies i've seen are more likely to buy a pie with sauce and a can of coke.

Need to get out more, not at 5.30 am in the morning.  😂😂😂

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

My wife doesn't like my espresso machine. Don't know why. She prefers a cafetiere with creamy milk. Personal preference I guess.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!