Sponsor partner on 820 after ex on 189 left me

debanjanbasu

The Immi website hasn't been of much help. I just need one answer, a yes or no. Following is my situation:

1. I and my ex-girlfriend applied together, when I applied for my 189 visa about 3 years ago. We were neither married, nor registered any NSW relationship certificate, but lived together before the application for 3 years.
2. We did receive our PR within a year
3. Within months, she decided to leave me, and is not even in Australia now.
4. I have been seeing someone for the past 8 months. Can I sponsor her for the 820 visa ? Am I still eligible ?

I've already reached out to 3 registered migration agents, with differing answers. Browsed through several pages of the immi site in vain.

A restriction defined as a waiting period of 5 years should have more clarity around it.

All I seek is a yes or a no 😢.

Just now, Marisawright said:

If you’ve only been seeing someone for 8 months then you can’t sponsor them as your de facto partner yet, whether you’re eligible or not

Thanks for the prompt reply @Marisawright 🙏

I totally understand that. But I'm considering sponsoring her after 4 more months. Which should allow us to have the 12 months total relationship period. Honestly, I do love her, as she's a good person, and documents to prove the genuinity of our relationship are quite in abundance.

So would I be eligible thereafter ?

50 minutes ago, debanjanbasu said:

I'm considering sponsoring her after 4 more months. Which should allow us to have the 12 months total relationship period

No it would not.  It is not enough to be in a relationship.  You must be in a relationship that is the equivalent of marriage.   The time while you were dating does not count.   Most people would know each other for several weeks or months before deciding to live as a couple.  You will have to show proof of the date you made that decision, and your 12 months period counts from then.  You must be able to show that for all of those 12 months, you have shared your home, finances, etc.    

The limit on sponsorships does not apply to you because you did not sponsor your first partner.  She was a dependent on your visa which is a different thing.

19 hours ago, debanjanbasu said:

The Immi website hasn't been of much help. I just need one answer, a yes or no. Following is my situation:

1. I and my ex-girlfriend applied together, when I applied for my 189 visa about 3 years ago. We were neither married, nor registered any NSW relationship certificate, but lived together before the application for 3 years.
2. We did receive our PR within a year
3. Within months, she decided to leave me, and is not even in Australia now.
4. I have been seeing someone for the past 8 months. Can I sponsor her for the 820 visa ? Am I still eligible ?

I've already reached out to 3 registered migration agents, with differing answers. Browsed through several pages of the immi site in vain.

A restriction defined as a waiting period of 5 years should have more clarity around it.

All I seek is a yes or a no 😢.

Yes, if you can meet the requirements for 820 sponsorship.

From what you have posted you may struggle, unless you are married or have registered your relationship.

19 hours ago, debanjanbasu said:

Not sure why you have received different answers. Did you have a consultation with the Agents or just a phone call.

The matter would be straight forward to provide direct answers once all the relevant information regarding your relationship and girlfriends visa history is knows.