back from brissy reccie!

kellyjamie

Im glad you liked North Lakes as a pom living in Northakes it greatbut not really meet any other poms in the street im expect or shopping centre even through my oh can spot a pom a mile off lol in my inlaws street they have poms next door and across the road from them but . I wouldnt say Northlakes a little britain yet as i enjoy the oz atomsphere lol

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad you had a great holiday...but not being negative...the real test is when you live here.

I have to agree Earlwood i been here 8 weeks on Monday and i only got a tempoary assignment in the work sense and i do stil think about the promotion i left behind in London and small things and this weekend a test for me as it my mums wedding and i only got hold o f her 1hr 30 min after the cemoriny. It looking like i have to commute to sydney as the OH has decide she doesnt want to move away and it making me think what i have done. I love being here with her and my new family but the one thing i dont want to not have here is a good career even through i sound selfish i want the same things as most people and knowing if i work in sydneyso we can have that good life style:unsure:

Im with Earlswood this time. I dont agree that he is the "voice of doom!" . I actually think in this post he is the "voice of realism!" There you go Earlswood! Someone loves ya!

It is different being on a holiday or reccy to living. Will someone still feel the same when they are coming home to a strange house every night, going to work, working perhaps more hours in the heat!, not having the familiarity of what you know around you, not having family to rely on! some do find it hard to cope when the reality hits home!!

Dont get me wrong, some find it easy! I did! In 2 weeks I knew that I was here to stay! Not everyone is that lucky! Earlswood, good comment mate!

Good comment, Jo. And I think it's true that the real test is actually living there, as Earlswood says (that's twice I've agreed with you now, E!):swoon:

I do worry about the things Jo has mentioned and I don't think there's anything that can prepare you for when/if the "OMG, what have I done" moment hits you...I'm not sure whether I'll be a JoHatts or an Earlswood when it comes to how easily I settle in!

Mrs Tyke xx

Guest JoanneHattersley
Good comment, Jo. And I think it's true that the real test is actually living there, as Earlswood says (that's twice I've agreed with you now, E!):swoon:

I do worry about the things Jo has mentioned and I don't think there's anything that can prepare you for when/if the "OMG, what have I done" moment hits you...I'm not sure whether I'll be a JoHatts or an Earlswood when it comes to how easily I settle in!

Mrs Tyke xx

Thanks Mrs T!

Where and when u heading our way then?

Hi Jo,

Our online application shows as of Friday 25 July that "further processing" is underway, so things are moving a little for us now!

Depending on the dreaded house sale and the other bits and bobs (we didn't front-load meds and PC's, because of the backlog) we should be there within the year - sooner, if we can!

Get the kettle on, Mrs! :biglaugh:

Mrs Tyke xx

Guest JoanneHattersley
yes, we're coming to Brissie! Oh, you've twisted my arm - a glass or three it is!!:biglaugh:

Mrs Tyke xx

Ah screw it, I hate odd numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

thanx everyone, we are well aware that living there will be different to what weve just experienced thats obvious but we are just relieved that we found somewhere that we got a good feel for and felt comfortable in. im also glad in a weird way i had a few emotional days as it made me realise it wont be a bed of roses and i have a slight idea of what to expect. as one said atleast were off to a positive start and we know exactly where we want to go and settle we know what schools are kids will go to and where we will do our first shop etc etc, we know our way round so when we go back for us there will be some familiarity already there and as i mentioned we have made some fantastic friends whom we will be keeping in touch with. you know when you meet people and you just immidiately hit it off you feel like youve known them for years? so all these things have got to be in our favour and as far as were concerned is going to give us a slight headstart, thanx again all:cute:

shirley, definately pack long trousers, t shirts a few jumpers, cardigan and light jacket for night as the temps really drop and its quite chilly. we still had vest tops on but not really shorts and we didnt need swimming stuff either as its too cold tho take them just incase. theres a wonderful beach area just 50min up the sunshine caost called currimundi beach and lagoons and it has these warm shallow lagoons and great sand where you could spend all day and they have free bbqs aswell its a lovely day if you get the weather, any other questions just ask x

Guest Angelcake

I KNOW that Jo and I think anyone with an ounce of intelligence can work out that going on holiday is no-where near the same as living in a place.

To me thats just common sense - of course its different!!! I don't need Earlswood telling me that, Im an intelligent girl - Ive already figured that one out!

The OP was suggesting that in anyway it was the same, just given her true opinion on her reccie. Her holiday trip.

What irritate's me is Earlwood constantly patronising people who havent been out there yet and treating us as if we are complete idiots.

Angelcake

Guest scots-in-oz!

Great post Kelly! Really informative & it's nice to hear about how you got on there.

Such a shame we didn't meet you in Edinburgh, would have been great to have chatted about your trip! Never mind, we'll have to meet up in Brissie once we're all there! Looks like we're probabally heading to Brissie too now! See you there!

Mags:wubclub:

x

Guest Sandra,Mike and boys

Hi Kelly

Well, what a fab post. You have put me to shame with all your detail. We really enjoyed meeting you guys and I am sooooo pleased that you have decided Brissie is def for you. We felt the same, and like you said, I know that not all can do a reccie, but seeing it in the flesh has def meant that we are sure with our decision. Also like you it means we are fortunate to have a sense of familiarity when we return. For those that can't go then at least you have POI as the info that people share on here is invaluable.

The only prob now is that you guys are not arriving sooner!!! Mind you, it will mean we will have our BBQ skills- or at least Mikes!- fully developed and we can give you a true aussie welcome.

Sandra XX ( the headless chicken/stressed one!!!- we are so not organised yet!)

Guest Fawcett

What a fantastic, positive post. I've been reading all the problems, the home sickness, the lonliness, and lack of friends, and all those reports that there's no social life. It was a bit worrying. But we'll get ourselves outthere meeting people, and i now feel a lot happier.

Thanks

Carol

• 1 month later...

thanks for a brill account of your reccie, it has done half the job for us before we go out for our reccie in June next year. Can you tell us where you stayed, as have booked, with Emirates, our flights, but are looking for accom for 3 weeks, and don't want to stay with relatives!! Looking for a 3 bedroom place/ place for a family of 4.

Thanks

Guest Supermidwife

Hi, we're getting excited now as we,re going for our reccie in October. We've booked the flights with Emirates so hope they're okay as we've always gone with Singapore. Were the staff on the flights good with children? It sounds like you had a great trip, and wanted to ask which hospitals you visited. How far away from the north Lakes area were they? Sorry it sounds like a grilling but it's so helpful to get as much info as poss. Thanks

Hi there, what a great post, we are headed out in October and hearing posts like this just makes you feel so positive, we have booked a house through www.holidaysinredcliffe.com.au for three weeks till we find our long term rental, I found them quite reasonable, I liked the idea of having a house for the first few weeks rather than a hotel room or apartment.

Vicky John Brad Brooke

hi, i visited prince charles hospital and also north side private (think that was its name?) which are together and were about 20min drive from north lakes tho can differ according to traffic. also visited caboolture public and private and all these were very nice and helpful. i went to redcliffe aswell but the woman was so rude and unhelpful it totally put me off there, but if your staying around that area you should try sizzlers just round from redcliffe hospital it was great esp with kids. we found emirates ok, not as good as many had raved about but ok. the staff on glasgow to dubai and the same return leg were fantastic but the rest werent greta to be honest, we will fly with singapore next time, but everyone has different opinions x

Guest HappyBunny
How excited are you!!!

That’s not a bad thing, I think that’s excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have been surfing the net looking at where we might live, we are thinking south. Beenleigh area, admittedly based on the net. I think its half way between Central Brisbane and Surfers.

Did you go south?

What made you choose the North? if you have that is.

We loved the Sunshine Coast but for building trades the wages are better south. We were told to avoid Beenleigh and have only visited once and weren't impressed. we are just south in Ormeau which is fab, so is Pimpama, Oxenford and Pacific Pines which are all approx halfway between Brisbane and Surfers.

Hi all, so weve been back over a week now after our reccie to brisbane, below i will detail all what we found out and hope i dont bore you all! apologies now if i drag on!

First i wont repeat all sandra said as we met all the same people they did, we virtually holidayed together! Dale, Fran and Luke thankyou so much guys for wonderful accomodation and superb hospitality. We also spent time with ******* and co, jo eddie, tina, johatts and some other families and can honestly say were so happy to of met all you guys and chuffed to consider you all our new friends, we look forward to returning your hospitaliy. and of course our new found friends sandra mike and boys, whom we all just hit it off straight away! were all so alike and we are ecstatic we have found them as friends and look forward to many years of barbies and drinks!

So Brisbane, well before i start i must state THESE ARE ONLY MY OPINIONS AND OZ WILL DEFINATELY NOT BE FOR EVERYONE.

We flew with emirates glasgow-dubai-singapore-brisbane. planes are very spacious even my hubby managed whos 6'5, food wasnt bad and entertainment good. the staff on the glasgow to dubai and the same return leg were wonderful, the rest of the staff werent great. the flights themselves were fine and we experienced no delays. we totally hated dubai i wouldnt even go there for free! the airport is unbelievably busy, people lying on the floors sleeping everywhere and the people are so rude and abrupt! the whole place looks like one large building site and we really didnt like it, the walk from the plane to actually getting outside is so far, yes you get complimentry strollers but good luck finding one! i felt very uncomfortable there. we were only in singapore airport for a short time, which is very clean and we would definately like to visit singapore, tho it was probably the most strict airport ive ever been through. on arrival at brisbane airport our baggage was through in record time, then we realised my hubby left his wallet on the plane with EVERYTHING in it! so it was a mad dash to emirates desk to get it back, which they done without a problem. all things considered i wouldnt fly with emirates again and if for no other reason than to avoid dubai.

So brisbane, well we absolutely loved it and have found it is definately for us! although we were there during "winter" the weather was great a pleasant 20-22 during the day and a surprisingly cold 8-11 at night. tho i must say they have no dusk or dawn and the light to dark is like turning off the light switch as is the change in temp! for those concerned by the lack of day light hours and early nights dont fret it definately does not stop people enjoying the lifestyle.

Houses/areas.

we stayed in mango hill next to north lakes, which has i feel undeservedly been titled little britain which i find hard to understand as apart from the people we were purposely introduced to everyone was aussie!! we loved this area and its probably number one choice for us. it has a lovely community feel to it, it feels safe and comfortable which after uprooting 11000 miles is probably just what we will need! we also checked and liked, narangba 10min further out, warner 15-20 closer to the city and also cashmere near to warner. the house market is slowing slightly even tho all the sales people will tell you (and told us) that its red hot and will only rise, the aussie gov held interest rates for a 4th time at 7.25% so people are definately not buying or spending as much, and the credit crunch is reaching their shores aswell. we found caboolture nice aswell. 10yr ago you wouldnt of considered it but now it has and is being totally redevelpoed and you can buy new builds there the exact same house as you would get in north lakes for $100k less as its the last train stop and 20 min further out the city!

Shopping.

i dont quite understand why people slate the clothes shopping? i found it totally fine and ask my OH thats no mean feat! i really didnt have a problem with it. they dont have next or gap but do have a store called colorado which is very similar. the rest of the clothes were great. Food shopping is very on par with the UK price wise. fruit and veg is a bit srange, here its the same price all year round over there the price depends on whats in season! we tried both coles and woolworths and definately prefer woolworths, it was slightly cheaper and the choice was amazing! their meat counters are unbelievable every flavour sausage you can imagine, great for the barbies! for those yearning the old brit foods they do stock some such as hellmans, heinz beans salad cream and for the scots - irnbru (being an adopted scot this was vitally important to my chances of settling!). the shopping centre at north lakes was fab and it still has more development to go.

Cars and petrol.

we checked out some show rooms and found that new cars are roughly priced the same as here but definately hold their value, as with the weather they dont rust as much. we seen cars on the roads that were 20 yr old. the price of petrol is rising aswell and to us theirs is cheap when converting to sterling, but when living there and on their wages its is getting expensive and is a talking point aswell.and the driving is no where near as bad as people say, tho on the highway they do put the foot down and they dont acknowledge if you let them out at a junction or anything, but we found driving easier, i never had road rage once!

People.

what can i say, we honestly hand on heart found them to be the friendliest people we have met, dont get me wrong we encountered a few rude and ignorant people but you do everywhere. but on the whole we were very taken aback by their way. nothing was a problem and whenever you go into a shop people acknowledge you and ask how you are and it rarely seems forced. my husband was surprised when he took our 2 yr old for a walk and 3 seperate people walked past and all of them said "hi, how you doin". any time we asked for help people were more than willing to help and would often ask whre we were from and if we were on hols and when we said we were going to emigrate, they answered with "good on ya mate thats great, all the best and enjoy australia"!!!!! as i say you will get arsehole everywhere we certainly have our share in the uk but generally, lovely people.

Schools and work

we looked at both private and state, all very good. we looked at north lakes state school, lakes private, genesis private and st.columbans private and were impressed with them all. i visited 3 hospitals about work when i get out there and 2 were great and very helpful told me to contact them nearer the time i need sponsorship and they will offer me sponsorship without a prob and help me get perm res. the other one (redcliffe) was awful and the woman totally unhelpful and basically told me no. my OH will be a plumber and will have no prob getting work, he actually made a contact in mcdonalds who told him providing hes willing to start at the bottom(he,l be newly qualified) he would pay him roughly $50k per year plus buy him tools, a company van mobile phone and help him get his regs! we were pleased with this as he will be starting a whole new career with little experience.

travel,

their transport system was excellent! very cheap and spotless. always on time cant say much more except we were very very impressed.

on the whole for us a very sucessful trip and we have made very good contacts for the future. we have made some wonderful new friends and i must admit i had a couple of wobbly days out there where i wasnt sure and i felt disheartened but the new friends we have were wonderful and gave us invaluable advice and we have realised that these people will become our family eventually, so if you do nothing else when you move you MUST put yourself out there and make friends as they will be priceless in making the move successful. we loved every minute of it and we knew on the flight home that when we got back we would either appreciate what we have and want to stay here having enjoyed a wonderful holiday or, realise what we had just found, and for us we have found the place we want to live and bring up our kids and enjoy our life in and thats brisbane. now its definately not without its faults, my god you wouldnt believe how hard it is to find restaraunts with highchairs ireally was close to losing the plot! and they have bugs and critters tho to be honest we only seen spiders and snakes in zoos. and they annoyingly price things with 99c but yet when charging you round it all up to the nearest dollar. but apart from that we loved it. i can absolutely see why it wouldnt be for everyone and also why some people return home, but for us were happy with the decision and feel its right for us. we visited sydney for 3 days and i absolutely hated it if that was my only option to go to get into oz i wouldnt go as it wasnt for us atall, but others love it, so different strokes for different folks. i would say if you want to and can afford to do a reccie then do one as its invaluable, and no amount of research on the internet can compare to actually being there in the flesh! SO, i shall shut up now and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask and i shall answer if i can hope this helps some of you

Kelly and family xx:wubclub:

Hi Kelly,

Great to read your news and you all had a fab time I agree with everything you said about Aus though we haven't been to Brisbane yet we hope to relocate to the Gold Coast or Brisbane having been to Aus a few times in the past,

We are going out in Nov flying with Emmirates from Glasgow to Brisbane this is the 1st time we have flown with them as wasn't sure of the 8hr wait in Dubia but were told you get a complimentary hotel room so decided to give it a go can you tell me if this is true and how you felt about it I also didn't like Dubia but we just had a fuel stop so wasn't there for long can you book a room in advance as I certainly don't fancy being the ones lying on the floor for 8hrs Ha Ha.

I couldn't believe your OH got a job offer in MacDonalds don't think that would have happened in UK.

Pleased you enjoyed your trip.

Evelyn

We

Archived