Visa and travel exemption received – advice please

EllieC

Hi all,

So glad to have found this forum! 12 months later than planned (thanks COVID!), my partner and I finally received our 4 year TSS visa and travel exemption to move to Sydney.

We have had a bit of a nightmare with the cost of flights (work are not covering our moving expenses but that’s another story…) and are booked to travel from London> Doha> Sydney at the end of March with Qantas, which is the cheapest we could find. I’m slightly worried with flight cancellations and needing to get a negative test before flying – feels so close but also those final hoops to jump through. Has anyone successfully got on a Qantas flight recently with no last-minute cancellations?

Living

We are in our late twenties and previously lived in London (Vauxhall/ Oval area) – enjoy pubs, bars and nice restaurants but equally love the outdoors (hiking, beaches etc). Does anyone have any advice on where would be best to move? We are thinking Zetland, Waterloo, Paddington, Bondi Junction, Surry Hills, Moore Park, Redfern. We need to be a commutable distance to CBD ideally and do not have a huge budget for renting.

Moving

Only have a 20kg luggage case included with our flight. We do not have any white goods, furniture etc to transport but I would like to bring as much of my personal items, clothing, shoes etc as possible. Does anyone have any recommendations on how best to transport - I do not think we will be needing a container – potentially a few storage boxes etc? I’ve seen MoveCube and Sendmybag mentioned on here, any experiences of either?

Sorry for all the questions, any help/ advice would be much appreciated. I’ve loved reading all your threads 😊

Thanks,

Ellie

3 hours ago, EllieC said:

We have had a bit of a nightmare with the cost of flights (work are not covering our moving expenses but that’s another story…) and are booked to travel from London> Doha> Sydney at the end of March with Qantas, which is the cheapest we could find. I’m slightly worried with flight cancellations and needing to get a negative test before flying – feels so close but also those final hoops to jump through. Has anyone successfully got on a Qantas flight recently with no last-minute cancellations?

Please double-check your flight details because Qantas hasn't operated any international flights since the start of the pandemic and they haven't yet announced when they'll resume.  If however you are booked on a code-share that's operated by Qatar Airways then obviously it would be different.

• Like 1

Definitely check out Movecube. There are three sizes, so one is likely to fit your bill.   It goes by sea, so it will be in transit for 6 weeks or so.   Many of our members have used them. 

It's very hard to judge what you can afford to rent from browsing the internet.  Real estate agents in Sydney are shocking - they shamelessly Photoshop the images they post, and they often use a fisheye lens (which makes rooms look larger than they really are).  So it's easy to get the impression there are nice places at reasonable prices in an area, when in fact there aren't. 

This is quite a handy section of realestate.com.au, giving you an overview of each suburb including the average rental per week:

https://www.realestate.com.au/neighbourhoods/

Alexandria, Zetland, Waterloo, Moore Park and Redfern are once-dodgy areas which are now full of  huge apartment blocks, so you'll find lots of rentals there, but they're not known for their lively social scene.    If you find something cheap in Paddington, Surry Hills or Bondi Junction, it's likely to be a cockroach-infested dump, as those are pricey areas.   If you're willing to pay Bondi Junction prices, then look at Randwick instead.  Not on the train line, but there's an express bus that goes on the motorway so it's very fast.  The other bonus is that it's a short bus ride (or a pleasant walk) to a couple of Sydney's best beaches. 

If money is tight, I would be going further West, where you'll get a better vibe for your money and the commute (by train) is still pretty good.  Marrickville, Summer Hill are both on a train line and each has a lively main street with lots of eateries and pubs. Dulwich Hill was up-and-coming when we lived in that area too.

Edited by Marisawright