Mooloolaba or Maroochydore to live

Rthursty

Hi,

We are retirees moving from.Sydney and considering Mooloolaba or Maroochydore in the Sunshine Coast.  Are there areas to avoid in Maroochydore in terms of safety? What areas would you recommend for retirees not wanting to drive and have access to facilities like medical, shopping, group exercise, safe beach swimming, entertainment i.e. theatre, public transport,  community atmosphere, seniors clubs

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Rthursty said:

Hi,

We are retirees moving from Sydney and considering Mooloolaba or Maroochydore in the Sunshine Coast.  Are there areas to avoid in Maroochydore in terms of safety? What areas would you recommend for retirees not wanting to drive and have access to facilities like medical, shopping, group exercise, safe beach swimming, entertainment i.e. theatre, public transport,  community atmosphere, seniors clubs

Thanks.

M'bar and M'dore pretty much feel like the same suburb, to the point where they are sometimes referred to as 'Moolooladore'. It's more of a younger scene and not really the suburbs I'd want to retire to, although I'm sure many do. As you may be aware, Buderim is very popular with the older generation. We live in Caloundra and it has a bit of everything, and in my opinion is the best place to live on the SC. To my knowledge, there are no 'bad areas' on the sunny coast, but some suburbs are certainly more desirable than others. You should head up here and take a look now that the school hols are over, and the NSW-QLD border has reopened.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Sydney schmydney! 🙄

If you don't like big cities, then obviously you're not going to like Sydney.  However, when you get old (like me), you really appreciate what big cities have to offer.

The OP is accustomed to hopping on a bus or train to get almost door-to-door no matter where they need to go, with frequent services.  It's easy to manage without a car in Sydney, even if you're elderly and not able to walk far.   Once you are outside the capital cities in Australia, that's not usually the case.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

If you don't like big cities, then obviously you're not going to like Sydney.  However, when you get old (like me), you really appreciate what big cities have to offer.

The OP is accustomed to hopping on a bus or train to get almost door-to-door no matter where you need to go, with frequent services.  It's easy to manage without a car in Sydney, even if you're elderly and not able to walk far.   I doubt it's as easy on the Sunshine Coast.

If you are really old like me, and live on the Sunshine Coast then  I can assure you that life is good here. There is public transport which realistically doesn’t compare to a city, but it does exist, but if you are eligible there is a very cheap door to door car service that you need to get assessed for. The drivers are volunteers, will help with the shopping and also pack it away if needed. There is volunteer hospital pick up, free pick up from surf clubs etc. Caloundra has a theatre, not up to Sydney standard shows, but very popular. Almost Every club, activity you can think of is here. Medical facilities are mostly well catered for. The area is thriving.

Friends of mine who live in Buderim always use the bus service to go to Maroochydore plaza etc.Transport to Brisbane is pretty useless.

If anyone moves to the coast thinking it’s like Sydney, that’s plain daft, it obviously isn’t , but as someone who has lived here for 18 years, it’s a lovely place to live, and my neighbours who moved from Sydney a couple of years ago would never go back. Houses are being snapped unseen from buyers from Sydney and Melbourne.

No where is perfect, different places appeal to different people, I would never knock anyone wanting to live in a city, I enjoyed visiting Sydney regularly pre covid, but city living is not for me, just as living in the outback isn’t, but anyone wanting a lifestyle change, is sensible asking for advice, but should also  have a fair idea of what to expect.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

The OP is accustomed to hopping on a bus or train to get almost door-to-door no matter where they need to go, with frequent services.  It's easy to manage without a car in Sydney, even if you're elderly and not able to walk far.   Once you are outside the capital cities in Australia, that's not usually the case.

Actually I do like cities but as I've never been much of a go-getter, I couldn't afford to live in Sydney and have a similar lifestyle to what I have here in QLD. Considering the price tag, I think that Sydney is over-rated when you compare it on the world scene. After living there a while you feel like a goldfish; "bridge, opera house, fireworks... oh look, a bridge!"

1 hour ago, ramot said:

No where is perfect, different places appeal to different people

That is absolutely true, and that's why I made the comment. I got the strong impression (from previous posts) that the OP wants all the same conveniences they have in Sydney, which simply isn't going to happen in a smaller city.    

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Actually I do like cities but as I've never been much of a go-getter, I couldn't afford to live in Sydney and have a similar lifestyle to what I have here in QLD. Considering the price tag, I think that Sydney is over-rated when you compare it on the world scene. After living there a while you feel like a goldfish; "bridge, opera house, fireworks... oh look, a bridge!"

How many Sydneysiders do you think visit the CBD that often?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ken said:

That would depend upon whether or not they are real Sydneysiders or merely people from the 'burbs!

I would count myself as a real Sydneysider and I didn't visit the CBD that often, except for work.  The CBD is OK but it isn't that interesting or lively a place compared to the vibrant social life in some Inner West suburbs, Eastern Suburbs, Northern Beaches, etc etc....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 21/02/2021 at 19:49, ramot said:

Friends of mine who live in Buderim always use the bus service to go to Maroochydore plaza etc.Transport to Brisbane is pretty useless.

I have been to Buderim and liked the elevation, I assume it gets a bit cooler and breezier being set back, as well as being quieter.  How quick is it to get to Mooloolaba/Maroochydore from Buderim. Is the road on the tourist route?  Is there a direct bus service to hop on and off?  Just imagine the parking around the beaches there would be quite difficult if you wanted to spend a decent amount of time there?