Jump to content
martl_2001

190/491 questions whilst waiting for restrictions to ease

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

My first post here. We're at the start of our hopeful journey to Australia. My wife and I are hoping to emigrate on a 190 or 491. Her role is in healthcare and on the SOL for these visas, although not in demand during covid it seems. We've engaged an agent and done plenty of research but that's it so far.

A few questions if anyone can help.

We've been told (by an agent) that there's no point in doing a formal assessment with an agent until later in the year when we know a bit more about the borders opening. Is this fair enough or should we at least expect to get the ball rolling with an assessment? We could spend all this time saving and planning then find out we're ineligible.

Whilst we wait, is there anything we can be doing to strengthen our case or prepare for the process?

Can we submit EOIs for both the 190 and 491 or do you have to pick?

Thanks in advance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a skilled visa (189/190), one needs to have had a skills assessment by the relevant professional authority, as a requirement. This can often take weeks, and more often than not, months. This does not include all the preparatory work that the application needs to do in order to gather the evidence required. This can also take weeks/months.

However, this is under your control, so the earlier you start, the better for you.


IELTS : 13/08/16: W8 S8 L9 R9. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 30/08/16, 12/09/16, 10/10/16. AHPRA sent/AIP : 05/09/16, 28/12/16. EoI/invited: 20/1/17, 01/02/17. 189 submitted: 06/02/17, Caseworker: 23/02/17. Medicals: 31/03/17. Grant: 12/04/17. Child 101 submitted: 09/06/17. Granted: 06/07/17. Landed: 01/09/17.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, martl_2001 said:

We've been told (by an agent) that there's no point in doing a formal assessment with an agent until later in the year when we know a bit more about the borders opening.

For the first time I'm hearing this from a migration agent (Most of them just want client's money) but I definitely agree with this statement. Since you are offshore, there is no use starting your journey now by investing your time in English test and skill assessments when you have no idea about the future of 189/190/491. There are so many people waiting without invitations since 1-2 years and are just losing their money by re attempting PTE/IELTS/OET or renewing skill assessments as most of these docs expire while waiting for an invitation. It doesn't seem the borders will open by this year end so you will just lose your documents validity if you get these done now.
It would be better to wait and see how things turn out for immigration in the future. Or maybe look for other countries in the meantime. 

And you can submit separate EOIs for both 190 and 491.

Edited by Pooja Negi

ANZSCO-254415, Registered Nurse (Critical care & Emergency)-Offshore

IELTS (L-8.5/R-8/W-7/S-8)-Oct, 2017; Applied in AHPRA- Feb, 2018; Got Referral letter from AHPRA- May, 2018; Did overseas bridging program in NSW: Nov, 2018-Mar, 2019; Did PTE (L/R/W/S-79+)- Jan, 2019; Re-applied in AHPRA- Mar, 2019; Gain Professional Licence as RN- April, 2019; ANMAC skill assessment +ve- June, 2019; EOI initial submission date for 189 & 190 with 70 & 70+5 points- July, 2019.

Updated D.O.E for 189 with 85 points: 05/01/2020
Updated D.O.E for 190 with 90 points: 05/01/2020


Age-30, PTE-20, Edu-15, Overseas work exp-10, Single-10,
State sponsorship-5

PRE-INVITE from VIC -190: 16/01/2020
FINAL INVITE: 24/02/2020
Indian PCC done: 27/02/2020
Medicals Done: 07/03/2020
VISA Lodged: 06/03/2020

Grant: 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pooja Negi said:

Most of them just want client's money)

I think that’s an unnecessary and untrue comment ... I’d be interested in your sample size for such a sweeping ‘observation’?
 

I am still doing paid GSM assessments if clients want them, but I do tell offshore clients upfront that things are very uncertain at the moment and that it is likely that the landscape will change going forward. It’s an investment in information that some people want to make in the hope that they are ready to move quickly when things start to normalise. 

  • Like 5

____________________________________________________________________

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, paulhand said:

I think that’s an unnecessary and untrue comment ... I’d be interested in your sample size for such a sweeping ‘observation’?
 

I am still doing paid GSM assessments if clients want them, but I do tell offshore clients upfront that things are very uncertain at the moment and that it is likely that the landscape will change going forward. It’s an investment in information that some people want to make in the hope that they are ready to move quickly when things start to normalise. 

I'm sorry Paul for generalizing it by saying that. I do understand that there are plenty of genuine MARA agents out there but at the same time there are agencies/agents who are just looting PR aspirants by showing a fake picture of Australia Immigration. New Applicants do need to know that things have changed drastically since 2019 (even before covid) hence there is no use in getting stuck by applying for Aus rather one should look for other countries who are still welcoming immigrants just like before. 
 

Edited by Pooja Negi

ANZSCO-254415, Registered Nurse (Critical care & Emergency)-Offshore

IELTS (L-8.5/R-8/W-7/S-8)-Oct, 2017; Applied in AHPRA- Feb, 2018; Got Referral letter from AHPRA- May, 2018; Did overseas bridging program in NSW: Nov, 2018-Mar, 2019; Did PTE (L/R/W/S-79+)- Jan, 2019; Re-applied in AHPRA- Mar, 2019; Gain Professional Licence as RN- April, 2019; ANMAC skill assessment +ve- June, 2019; EOI initial submission date for 189 & 190 with 70 & 70+5 points- July, 2019.

Updated D.O.E for 189 with 85 points: 05/01/2020
Updated D.O.E for 190 with 90 points: 05/01/2020


Age-30, PTE-20, Edu-15, Overseas work exp-10, Single-10,
State sponsorship-5

PRE-INVITE from VIC -190: 16/01/2020
FINAL INVITE: 24/02/2020
Indian PCC done: 27/02/2020
Medicals Done: 07/03/2020
VISA Lodged: 06/03/2020

Grant: 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/02/2021 at 04:22, Pooja Negi said:

For the first time I'm hearing this from a migration agent (Most of them just want client's money) but I definitely agree with this statement. Since you are offshore, there is no use starting your journey now by investing your time in English test and skill assessments when you have no idea about the future of 189/190/491. There are so many people waiting without invitations since 1-2 years and are just losing their money by re attempting PTE/IELTS/OET or renewing skill assessments as most of these docs expire while waiting for an invitation. It doesn't seem the borders will open by this year end so you will just lose your documents validity if you get these done now.
It would be better to wait and see how things turn out for immigration in the future. Or maybe look for other countries in the meantime. 

And you can submit separate EOIs for both 190 and 491.

Thanks Pooja. This is very useful advice.

When you say 'year end' do you mean calendar year or Aussie government financial year (I think I've read that's a thing!).

You mention renewing skills assessment. If we did take it and it expired, is the 'renewal' just an additional fee to extend the validity of it, or something that you'd need to resubmit all original documentation for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/02/2021 at 00:15, DukeNinja said:

For a skilled visa (189/190), one needs to have had a skills assessment by the relevant professional authority, as a requirement. This can often take weeks, and more often than not, months. This does not include all the preparatory work that the application needs to do in order to gather the evidence required. This can also take weeks/months.

However, this is under your control, so the earlier you start, the better for you.

Hi Duke

Appreciate your reply. Yeah I wasnt sure at what stage the skills assessment would happen. Because we've not had that formal agent assessment yet, we're not 100% sure if we'd have a case for a skilled visa, although from all the research we've done our case looks strong. So to jump to the skills assessment might be in vain, and I guess considering what Pooja has said about the assessment possibly expiring due to lack of processing at the moment. Seems like timing is a balancing act in that respect.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, martl_2001 said:

assessment possibly expiring

If your partner is a nurse, then they'll need ANMAC for their skills assessment. Once ANMAC issues their Letter of Determination, the latter is valid for a period of 2 years from then: ANMAC FAQs

If they choose IELTS as their preferred language testing method, the results are valid for 3 years: English language requirements

My personal opinion would be that I would rather have everything ready to submit for when the time comes.

  • Like 1

IELTS : 13/08/16: W8 S8 L9 R9. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 30/08/16, 12/09/16, 10/10/16. AHPRA sent/AIP : 05/09/16, 28/12/16. EoI/invited: 20/1/17, 01/02/17. 189 submitted: 06/02/17, Caseworker: 23/02/17. Medicals: 31/03/17. Grant: 12/04/17. Child 101 submitted: 09/06/17. Granted: 06/07/17. Landed: 01/09/17.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/02/2021 at 07:58, martl_2001 said:

formal assessment with an agent

This is different to the skills assessment, in case this wasn't clear.


IELTS : 13/08/16: W8 S8 L9 R9. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 30/08/16, 12/09/16, 10/10/16. AHPRA sent/AIP : 05/09/16, 28/12/16. EoI/invited: 20/1/17, 01/02/17. 189 submitted: 06/02/17, Caseworker: 23/02/17. Medicals: 31/03/17. Grant: 12/04/17. Child 101 submitted: 09/06/17. Granted: 06/07/17. Landed: 01/09/17.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you can do is this

Prepare and research all the documentation required for a skills assessment: financial proof (banks take forever and usually only carry 7 years of personal history), work references (usually also takes months to gather), begin collecting videos/pics of work or whatever else is required (usually found on website or just email skill assessor) etc

Prepare a high quality resume, with direct hyperlinks to any said information. 

Study for your english test: usually takes a solid month of studying (failing costs +$300 and people usually take multiple tests) 

Study for your skills assessment: should take a few weeks for reading, never let the assessor catch you off guard.

Collect you entry/exit information: department of border control has that info from your country of origin, so submit a request (takes a week for reply)

Organize and save all info on a google drive.

Understand that everything takes longer than you expect.

You can do a lot of the leg work yourself, your wallet and migration agency will thank you for that.

P.S. where are you located?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, martl_2001 said:

Thanks Pooja. This is very useful advice.

When you say 'year end' do you mean calendar year or Aussie government financial year (I think I've read that's a thing!).

You mention renewing skills assessment. If we did take it and it expired, is the 'renewal' just an additional fee to extend the validity of it, or something that you'd need to resubmit all original documentation for?

The Aus FY will end in June and it doesn't seem the borders will open up for all by then, So year end basically means 2021 Dec. I even read on the news that they wont open up until 2022 mid year so its just wait and watch and counting your stars!

The renewal of skill assessment depends upon the authority. Since you haven't mentioned her job code, So I wont be able to comment on what will be the exact procedure. As @DukeNinjamentioned that for RNs, its ANMAC who does the assessment for Nurses and the LOD is valid for 2 years. In case it gets expired before receiving an invitation, one has to submit fresh professional references, Good standing certificates and English tests should be valid at that time along with paying the renewal fee in order to get the re issuance. Might be similar for other job codes but cant be sure.


ANZSCO-254415, Registered Nurse (Critical care & Emergency)-Offshore

IELTS (L-8.5/R-8/W-7/S-8)-Oct, 2017; Applied in AHPRA- Feb, 2018; Got Referral letter from AHPRA- May, 2018; Did overseas bridging program in NSW: Nov, 2018-Mar, 2019; Did PTE (L/R/W/S-79+)- Jan, 2019; Re-applied in AHPRA- Mar, 2019; Gain Professional Licence as RN- April, 2019; ANMAC skill assessment +ve- June, 2019; EOI initial submission date for 189 & 190 with 70 & 70+5 points- July, 2019.

Updated D.O.E for 189 with 85 points: 05/01/2020
Updated D.O.E for 190 with 90 points: 05/01/2020


Age-30, PTE-20, Edu-15, Overseas work exp-10, Single-10,
State sponsorship-5

PRE-INVITE from VIC -190: 16/01/2020
FINAL INVITE: 24/02/2020
Indian PCC done: 27/02/2020
Medicals Done: 07/03/2020
VISA Lodged: 06/03/2020

Grant: 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/02/2021 at 08:58, martl_2001 said:

Hi everyone,

My first post here. We're at the start of our hopeful journey to Australia. My wife and I are hoping to emigrate on a 190 or 491. Her role is in healthcare and on the SOL for these visas, although not in demand during covid it seems. We've engaged an agent and done plenty of research but that's it so far.

A few questions if anyone can help.

We've been told (by an agent) that there's no point in doing a formal assessment with an agent until later in the year when we know a bit more about the borders opening. Is this fair enough or should we at least expect to get the ball rolling with an assessment? We could spend all this time saving and planning then find out we're ineligible.

Whilst we wait, is there anything we can be doing to strengthen our case or prepare for the process?

Can we submit EOIs for both the 190 and 491 or do you have to pick?

Thanks in advance.

 

It depends on the situation. Unless you have an occupation on the Priority List or are a business person the options will be limited.

I am upfront with all enquiries from off shore candidates and advise that the opportunities are currently very limited due to border restrictions. Skilled programs (189/190 and 491) are operating in a very limited capacity. Most State programs are not sponsoring off shore candidates at this stage.

As such, an assessment now will be limited and the options will likely to change considerably when State programs re open fully.

If candidates still want an assessment knowing this, I am happy to do so.


Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/02/2021 at 15:22, Pooja Negi said:

For the first time I'm hearing this from a migration agent (Most of them just want client's money) but I definitely agree with this statement. 

I think that the term "Migrating Agent" has become misused over time.

Please remember that overseas operators do not need to be registered and most are not. The majority of overseas migration businesses are not Registered Migration Agents. I have seen horrible tactics and misleading advertising from unregistered operators.

 

 

  • Like 3

Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raul Senise said:

The majority of overseas migration businesses are not Registered Migration Agents

But some are 😉 despite the difficulties in maintaining an offshore registration and clients should check the credentials of anyone they are considering working with. 

  • Like 1

____________________________________________________________________

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/02/2021 at 18:46, Domo said:

What you can do is this

Prepare and research all the documentation required for a skills assessment: financial proof (banks take forever and usually only carry 7 years of personal history), work references (usually also takes months to gather), begin collecting videos/pics of work or whatever else is required (usually found on website or just email skill assessor) etc

Prepare a high quality resume, with direct hyperlinks to any said information. 

Study for your english test: usually takes a solid month of studying (failing costs +$300 and people usually take multiple tests) 

Study for your skills assessment: should take a few weeks for reading, never let the assessor catch you off guard.

Collect you entry/exit information: department of border control has that info from your country of origin, so submit a request (takes a week for reply)

Organize and save all info on a google drive.

Understand that everything takes longer than you expect.

You can do a lot of the leg work yourself, your wallet and migration agency will thank you for that.

P.S. where are you located?

Thanks Domo. This is golden advice. We're UK based.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, martl_2001 said:

Thanks Domo. This is golden advice. We're UK based.

No problem, I'm a carpenter from canada and applied for my 190 visa Last year Feb 2020. I actually used the down under center immigration agency in ealing Broadway, london, uk. Flew out there and everything! I recommend using them, they have a fixed cost, so you cant run up the bill, but you'll have to do a lot of legwork yourself! I was initially worried about working on a per hour basis with a MARA agent, but because of the fixed cost I went with them. plus they're reputable, lots of help and support from our FB group!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×