Best state to apply to for midwife with a family?

armada

33 minutes ago, armada said:

Thanks Drumbeat 🙂 I sent my CV and an expression of interest to them yesterday as they are actively recruiting midwives for regional WA. However, I'm not sure how desperate they are to consider recruiting from offshore. I thought someone on the inside might be able to give a little more insight into this...

Up until 3 weeks ago I could have sent you some contacts but I've just taken early retirement so don't have access to the address book anymore.

Edited by Drumbeat

14 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Sydney isn't regional.   It's true that it's doable, but it's doable in the same way that London is doable.  Sydney housng is double the price of everywhere else in Australia except Melbourne.   

If I understand correctly, the problem isn't the OP's job - a midwife could find work in many regional areas.   The problem is the OP's husband who is a data scientist, which I suspect means his work opportunities are all in the capital cities?  

Yep Sydney isn't regional.

I was joining two of the OP statements, one that they might apply for 190 and two that they had discounted Sydney as it was too expensive.

It comes down to what you want, I wouldn't want to move all the way around the world and not have the amenities of a world class city on my doorstep, whilst I know plenty others have moved to Australia specifically to miles from anywhere (and plenty more want something in between those scenarios)

But if the only thing stopping you doing Sydney is money, then it doesn't have to be, there are many compromises or options to make it affordable 

18 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The problem is the OP's husband who is a data scientist, which I suspect means his work opportunities are all in the capital cities?  

This sentence is worth some consideration as well.

Data scientist opportunities in WA without Oil or Mining experience are few and far between. Yes you could drop a rung or two and work back up, but the majority of the big data science players are in Sydney (Parramatta and North Sydney), Melbourne (or a few in ACT).

35 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

This sentence is worth some consideration as well.

Data scientist opportunities in WA without Oil or Mining experience are few and far between. Yes you could drop a rung or two and work back up, but the majority of the big data science players are in Sydney (Parramatta and North Sydney), Melbourne (or a few in ACT).

I’m sure you could be  right, but the OP mentions in her first post in reference to Queensland that her husband has seen lots of jobs there for him? 

58 minutes ago, ramot said:

The Sunshine Coast is a regional area, but sadly as far as I know according to a midwife friend of mine many positions  are casual with not that many permanent positions. 
It’s a lovely place to live, so might be worth a try looking for a position.

Good luck

Yes this is the impression I have been getting across the board really. My husband would be the main breadwinner once we emigrated so moving somewhere he can work is most important but we put me down as the main applicant as I am in healthcare, which seems to carry greater weight atm

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

Even in the UK during COVID a worker in Milton Keynes that used to commute to London to do the job and is now doing it from home is still employed in the city.

It would require a massive rewrite of contracts to make them "regional" employees.

Remember that as soon as they say you have to work from home contractually they become liable to paying expenses when you need to go to the office and providing "office level" kit for your home and "office-level" Comms.

Whilst it remains an allowance and not a requirement the above expenses aren't required.

Yeah even before Covid he was working from home a lot and had been given the equipment to do this and now he has just changed jobs they have couriered all his equipment to him so I think it's pretty standard for what he does

9 minutes ago, armada said:

Yeah even before Covid he was working from home a lot and had been given the equipment to do this and now he has just changed jobs they have couriered all his equipment to him so I think it's pretty standard for what he does

I do something not a million miles dissimilar to what I suspect your OH does, that being said whilst I almsot never work outside my home I am still technically employed in the City, it is what the contract says not the actual working patterns that govern regional working in AUS

This of course works in reverse also. He could therefore work for a local data science company but be deployed to a client contract in the City, so long as this was not a permanent move and he was still employed by the local company the fact he went to work in the City would not mean he was no longer a regional employee

Edited by Ausvisitor

4 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

I do something not a million miles dissimilar to what I suspect your OH does, that being said whilst I almsot never work outside my home I am still technically employed in the City, it is what the contract says not the actual working patterns that govern regional working in AUS

This of course works in reverse also. He could therefore work for a local data science company but be deployed to a client contract in the City, so long as this was not a permanent move and he was still employed by the local company the fact he went to work in the City would not mean he was no longer a regional employee

So if a large multinational was headquartered outside of WA, but they had a satellite office somewhere in WA (e.g. Perth) - if the contract of employment stated that your primary place of work was your home address (e.g. in regional WA) would this be considered a violation of the 491 visa? In this instance you would be whole invested in regional WA, living there, spending money in the local economy, but just had an employer out of the area? 

1 minute ago, armada said:

So if a large multinational was headquartered outside of WA, but they had a satellite office somewhere in WA (e.g. Perth) - if the contract of employment stated that your primary place of work was your home address (e.g. in regional WA) would this be considered a violation of the 491 visa? In this instance you would be whole invested in regional WA, living there, spending money in the local economy, but just had an employer out of the area? 

It is a lot more difficult than this.

If the employer can force you to come into the office (despite you working from home) then you are still technically office based.

Most contracts (almost all) do not state your place of work as your home address they say you are employed by XYZ corp, Perth and the employee is allowed to work from home to complete their duties. - This is still a city job; if it says you are employed by XYC, Perth however all work will be perfomed from Nowheresville, WA then you are OK.

It will all come down to the actual specifics of the contract, now unless you are an absolute "rock-star" no multi-national (or even multi-state) company is going to mess with their carefully crafted employment contract to allow someone to bend the visa criterion to fit their specific needs (firstly it means they hae loads of different contracts hanging around so can;t make decisions easily without checking all contracts, secondly if the change is seen to be only to allow them to employ a 491 visa holder it is likely they'd be in trouble legally)

• Like 1

Just now, Ausvisitor said:

It is a lot more difficult than this.

If the employer can force you to come into the office (despite you working from home) then you are still technically office based.

Most contracts (almost all) do not state your place of work as your home address they say you are employed by XYZ corp, Perth and the employee is allowed to work from home to complete their duties. - This is still a city job; if it says you are employed by XYC, Perth however all work will be perfomed from Nowheresville, WA then you are OK.

It will all come down to the actual specifics of the contract, now unless you are an absolute "rock-star" no multi-national (or even multi-state) company is going to mess with their carefully crafted employment contract to allow someone to bend the visa criterion to fit their specific needs (firstly it means they hae loads of different contracts hanging around so can;t make decisions easily without checking all contracts, secondly if the change is seen to be only to allow them to employ a 491 visa holder it is likely they'd be in trouble legally)

This is of course all academic.

You first need to find someone who would employ your OH

Next, you need to highlight your needs to have them assign working rights to your regional area

Next, you need their legal team to craft a contract that categorically states this

I'd imagine you could easily find someone who'd employ you, the majority of these would probably say they are happy to write whatever in the contract, only after accepting the offer will you run up against HR/Legal and they won't normally be as accomodating. 

Every company will be different, so there will be no size fits all answer to this question (it has been asked many times on this forum - including by myself, and it's why I went for the 190 rather than the (as it was then) 489)

7 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

This is of course all academic.

You first need to find someone who would employ your OH

Next, you need to highlight your needs to have them assign working rights to your regional area

Next, you need their legal team to craft a contract that categorically states this

I'd imagine you could easily find someone who'd employ you, the majority of these would probably say they are happy to write whatever in the contract, only after accepting the offer will you run up against HR/Legal and they won't normally be as accomodating. 

Every company will be different, so there will be no size fits all answer to this question (it has been asked many times on this forum - including by myself, and it's why I went for the 190 rather than the (as it was then) 489)

All helpful points and kind of leads us back to where we started, going for a 190 but not in WA as they only offer this to midwives for regional work. Ho hum.

11 minutes ago, armada said:

All helpful points and kind of leads us back to where we started, going for a 190 but not in WA as they only offer this to midwives for regional work. Ho hum.

There is nothing to stop you posting an EOI for a 190 for a state and also posting a seperate EOI for a 491 for a different state (just don't do this on the same EOI - I'm not sure you can anyway if you are going across visa types)

You can then make your call when you see which comes in quicker.

Remember that after a few years you can move anywhere (and maybe even quicker than that your OH could apply with his skills onshore for a 190 where you want to be)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, armada said:

Wow, so much helpful advice 🙂 Thanks for all your responses. I think we're slowly swinging back round to the idea that we could make it work in WA if we got the right area. My hubby already has a work contact in Perth so he's going to explore options for remote working or flexible hours. Since Covid there has been a huge shift to remote working in the UK that looks to be permanent. His current job is now 95% remote so if a company in WA would allow him to do that then we could easily live by a regional hospital in the South West. After a year of making no material progress on our visa application and getting very despondent, we're actually feeling some glimmers of hope, so thanks everyone!! 😄

Even though covid hasn't affected us that much remote working was adopted early and has continued. The company I worked for have carried on paying everyone as normal. I have a friend who works there, lives in Yanchep and the office is in East Perth, so he has a long trip each day. He's been to the office maybe 3 times since last February. A lot of that time he told me he didn't even bother logging in, no-one was checking and there wasn't much work to do.

He's still working from home, loving it. The company have started asking people to go back in for 3 days a week. They have a big rent bill, they're nice offices.

• Thanks 1