Robin’s Emigrating

Citizenship by Descent Timeline

Anyone have any updates on the latest citizenship by descent timelines? We applied for ours for our daughters around 2 months ago (we’re based in the UK) but no response yet. Have heard it can take around 3 months, and its within the 75% timeline of 5 months on the website, however am hoping we can get it within the next months or two or it will start causing us a headache with our move plans.

Anything anyone can share about recent experiences would be really appreciated. Alternatively, if you think we could still migrate prior to the citizenships arrival, then let me know how this would work. Note that they both have UK passports, just waiting on the Aussie citizenships and passports

From experience, two months without any communication from them is not a long time.

If it is urgent, you can contact the Australian High Commission in London and explain the urgency, they are very responsive.

The alternative can be for your daughters to enter on a visitor visa and wait for their Australian citizenship onshore.

• Thanks 1

Laura Zorzi

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 1569722

www.movingtimemigration.com

Thanks Laura. I assume that our daughters would still be able to enter Australia, even with the current travel restrictions and using their British passports, on the grounds that they're dependents of an Australian Citizen (my wife) and an Australian Permanent Resident (myself)?

Yes, they can use their British passports, but they also need a visa & travel exemption if their Australian citizenship is not approved before departing. 

Laura Zorzi

MARN 1569722

51 minutes ago, Laura Zorzi said:

Yes, they can use their British passports, but they also need a visa & travel exemption if their Australian citizenship is not approved before departing. 

If their Australian citizenship is approved before departing, they won't be able to use their British passports, as an Australian citizen can't get a visa to enter Australia. I've been here before. They would need to get their Australian passport.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

Thanks. Here's another quick question...what happens is their citizenship is approved but we haven't had enough time to get their Passports? Could they travel on their British passports and show some type of certification of their citizenship, or would we have to wait until their passport has arrived? My understanding from reading the government website is that visas cannot be issued to Australian citizens for use in overseas passports. As such am wondering if we could show some type of citizenship proof, or would have to rush getting a passport through.

For dual citizens without their Australian passport, there is the option of the ADV Australian Declaratory visa (not really a visa though!) - Form 931. It allows dual citizens to have their Australian citizenship status linked to their foreign passport in some circumstances: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/form-listing/forms/931.pdf

• Thanks 1

Laura Zorzi

MARN 1569722

14 hours ago, newjez said:

If their Australian citizenship is approved before departing, they won't be able to use their British passports, as an Australian citizen can't get a visa to enter Australia. I've been here before. They would need to get their Australian passport.

"

they also need a visa & travel exemption if their Australian citizenship IS NOT approved before departing. "

Laura Zorzi

MARN 1569722

On 14/02/2021 at 23:51, Robin’s Emigrating said:

Anyone have any updates on the latest citizenship by descent timelines? We applied for ours for our daughters around 2 months ago (we’re based in the UK) but no response yet. Have heard it can take around 3 months, and its within the 75% timeline of 5 months on the website, however am hoping we can get it within the next months or two or it will start causing us a headache with our move plans.

Anything anyone can share about recent experiences would be really appreciated. Alternatively, if you think we could still migrate prior to the citizenships arrival, then let me know how this would work. Note that they both have UK passports, just waiting on the Aussie citizenships and passports

Apologies if this is off topic (is that allowed?) but are you doing kids citizenship application separate from a partner/spouse 309 application? This is my current dilemma. My wife is Australian and Im British. We live in UK and have 2 x UK born kids. I'm wondering whether to do a single Aus visa application covering both me and kids, or whether to do seperately (either in parallel or kids first then me).

I suspect there might be a clear winner and I'd love to know what it is!

Yes that correct. While you can’t do a 309 visa for your kids (that’s for spouses only), you can technically do a visa application for them instead of applying for citizenship. I can’t remember the number for the visa, but it’s out there. However there’s little point in doing so as they’ve a direct claim to citizenship from your wife, so easier to apply directly for citizenship and then an Australian passport. Typically the 309 will take longer than the citizenship anyway.

1 hour ago, Robin’s Emigrating said:

Yes that correct. While you can’t do a 309 visa for your kids (that’s for spouses only), you can technically do a visa application for them instead of applying for citizenship. I can’t remember the number for the visa, but it’s out there. However there’s little point in doing so as they’ve a direct claim to citizenship from your wife, so easier to apply directly for citizenship and then an Australian passport. Typically the 309 will take longer than the citizenship anyway.

Thanks - Im guessing its best to get the kids citizenship first, and then I apply - rather than running the applications in parallel which could get messy when I have to declare dependants and their citizenship..

Even if the 309 is based on your de facto/spouse relationship, you can add your kids as secondary applicants.

However, if you were an Australian citizen at the time of their birth, it is cheaper and easier to apply for their Australian citizenship by descent instead.

Laura Zorzi

MARN 1569722

@AliGWe had the same concern but ended up submitting both in parallel (with the kids citizenship listed as ‘other’ in my 309/100 application). Visa was approved so didn’t seem to cause any issues.