Citizenship by Descent Timeline

Robin’s Emigrating

On 18/02/2021 at 14:47, Laura Zorzi said:

Yes, they can use their British passports, but they also need a visa & travel exemption if their Australian citizenship is not approved before departing. 

Yes - if hasn’t got citizenship then enter Australia as you normally would with tourist visa and British passport. Citizenship can be granted while they are in Australia 

1 hour ago, talktosi said:

Spoke to a migration consultant ( in UK) last week who said processing times are around 12 months - then another 2 months or so to apply for citizenship certificate and then apply for passport 

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. There was a chap earlier in the thread that applied a little before us and got it in 3-4 months, but they might have got lucky or the backlog may have increased since then. We’re currently on about 4 mo the and crossing our fingers. 

Yes - if hasn’t got citizenship then enter Australia as you normally would with tourist visa and British passport. Citizenship can be granted while they are in Australia 

Anyone heard anything about timing got eVisitors? The website said they usually respond within a day, but we’re currently on day 3. Hopefully will come through in the next few days.

2 hours ago, talktosi said:

Spoke to a migration consultant ( in UK) last week who said processing times are around 12 months - then another 2 months or so to apply for citizenship certificate and then apply for passport 

In my opinion (and experience), 12-month wait seems a bit too much. 
Further, once your child's citizenship application is approved, you do not have to apply for the certificate, but it will be posted to the postal address you declared.

• Like 1

Just now, Laura Zorzi said:

In my opinion (and experience), 12-month wait seems a bit too much. 
Further, once your child's citizenship application is approved, you do not have to apply for the certificate, but it will be posted to the postal address you declared.

Our daughters application was approved in just under 3 months. Does anyone know how long it normally takes for the citizenship by descent extract to then arrive in the post? (In the UK specifically.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/02/2021 at 16:51, Robin’s Emigrating said:

Anyone have any updates on the latest citizenship by descent timelines? We applied for ours for our daughters around 2 months ago (we’re based in the UK) but no response yet. Have heard it can take around 3 months, and its within the 75% timeline of 5 months on the website, however am hoping we can get it within the next months or two or it will start causing us a headache with our move plans.

Anything anyone can share about recent experiences would be really appreciated. Alternatively, if you think we could still migrate prior to the citizenships arrival, then let me know how this would work. Note that they both have UK passports, just waiting on the Aussie citizenships and passports

It took 4months for my baby to get her Australian citizenship by descent and waiting for her Australian passport to arrive in the mail. 

On 05/05/2021 at 21:48, JennySN said:

It took 4months for my baby to get her Australian citizenship by descent and waiting for her Australian passport to arrive in the mail. 

Do you mind sharing when you applied? I can see that they have now updated the timeline to 8months for 75 percentile and 10 months for 90 percentile.

I am waiting for my newborn child's citizenship certificate, applied a month ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Applications for my 2 sons lodged 1/5/21 and email today saying they are now Australian citizens and expect to receive certificate within next 6 weeks.  Is that a record ??!!

I beat your record by 2 days 🤣 Lodged 3/5/21 and got my email this morning!  I woke my teenagers up by playing the Aussie national anthem, they weren't impressed 😀

I'm in a state of shock, I was thinking 6 months and I'll be lucky. 

Edited by Nikki C
  • Like 1
  • Congratulations 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I lodged my application from Ireland on 15th May and received by Australian citizenship on 15th July.  

Very straightforward process no doubt helped by my mum having held onto every Australian passport she has ever possessed.  This came in handy when I was asked to provide a record of her movements since she left Outer Harbour in Adelaide by ship in 1961.  

Can’t quite believe I’m an Australian citizen after all these years, especially after having been refused for being 10 points short when I was 18.  No plans to move over there as I’m happy with my lot here in Ireland but with 3 teenage children you never know what might happen in the future.