Citizenship by Descent Timeline

Robin’s Emigrating

Anyone have any updates on the latest citizenship by descent timelines? We applied for ours for our daughters around 2 months ago (we’re based in the UK) but no response yet. Have heard it can take around 3 months, and its within the 75% timeline of 5 months on the website, however am hoping we can get it within the next months or two or it will start causing us a headache with our move plans.

Anything anyone can share about recent experiences would be really appreciated. Alternatively, if you think we could still migrate prior to the citizenships arrival, then let me know how this would work. Note that they both have UK passports, just waiting on the Aussie citizenships and passports

From experience, two months without any communication from them is not a long time.

If it is urgent, you can contact the Australian High Commission in London and explain the urgency, they are very responsive.

The alternative can be for your daughters to enter on a visitor visa and wait for their Australian citizenship onshore.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Laura Zorzi said:

Yes, they can use their British passports, but they also need a visa & travel exemption if their Australian citizenship is not approved before departing. 

If their Australian citizenship is approved before departing, they won't be able to use their British passports, as an Australian citizen can't get a visa to enter Australia. I've been here before. They would need to get their Australian passport.

Thanks. Here's another quick question...what happens is their citizenship is approved but we haven't had enough time to get their Passports? Could they travel on their British passports and show some type of certification of their citizenship, or would we have to wait until their passport has arrived? My understanding from reading the government website is that visas cannot be issued to Australian citizens for use in overseas passports. As such am wondering if we could show some type of citizenship proof, or would have to rush getting a passport through.

14 hours ago, newjez said:

If their Australian citizenship is approved before departing, they won't be able to use their British passports, as an Australian citizen can't get a visa to enter Australia. I've been here before. They would need to get their Australian passport.

"

they also need a visa & travel exemption if their Australian citizenship IS NOT approved before departing. "

On 14/02/2021 at 23:51, Robin’s Emigrating said:

Anyone have any updates on the latest citizenship by descent timelines? We applied for ours for our daughters around 2 months ago (we’re based in the UK) but no response yet. Have heard it can take around 3 months, and its within the 75% timeline of 5 months on the website, however am hoping we can get it within the next months or two or it will start causing us a headache with our move plans.

Anything anyone can share about recent experiences would be really appreciated. Alternatively, if you think we could still migrate prior to the citizenships arrival, then let me know how this would work. Note that they both have UK passports, just waiting on the Aussie citizenships and passports

Apologies if this is off topic (is that allowed?) but are you doing kids citizenship application separate from a partner/spouse 309 application? This is my current dilemma. My wife is Australian and Im British. We live in UK and have 2 x UK born kids. I'm wondering whether to do a single Aus visa application covering both me and kids, or whether to do seperately (either in parallel or kids first then me).

I suspect there might be a clear winner and I'd love to know what it is!

Yes that correct. While you can’t do a 309 visa for your kids (that’s for spouses only), you can technically do a visa application for them instead of applying for citizenship. I can’t remember the number for the visa, but it’s out there. However there’s little point in doing so as they’ve a direct claim to citizenship from your wife, so easier to apply directly for citizenship and then an Australian passport. Typically the 309 will take longer than the citizenship anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin’s Emigrating said:

Yes that correct. While you can’t do a 309 visa for your kids (that’s for spouses only), you can technically do a visa application for them instead of applying for citizenship. I can’t remember the number for the visa, but it’s out there. However there’s little point in doing so as they’ve a direct claim to citizenship from your wife, so easier to apply directly for citizenship and then an Australian passport. Typically the 309 will take longer than the citizenship anyway.

Thanks - Im guessing its best to get the kids citizenship first, and then I apply - rather than running the applications in parallel which could get messy when I have to declare dependants and their citizenship..

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @krolley. We’re in the same boat and are starting to get concerned as our flights are booked for May 3rd. How long do you have before flying? 

Any folks have thoughts about whether we should apply for a visa using their British citizenship now in case their Oz citizenship doesn’t arrive in time? My understanding is that if their Oz citizenship is granted, we can no longer apply for a visa so would have to eother wait for their Oz passport or try and get their citizenship linked to their British passports using an ADV Declaratory 931 visa, as mentioned by @Laura Zorzi above. Any thoughts welcome! Perhaps we should also consider sending a letter to the embassy?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All - We've still not received the kids citizenships. Does anyone what would happen if we applied for a visa and an exemption using their British passports, and the Australia citizenship was then approved after the visa was issues, but before we flew? Would we still be able to use the visa to enter the country, or would we have to then wait for their passport to arrive (or seek an ADV)?

We fly on May 3rd and I'm considering just getting the visas and exemptions now, particularly if they would remain valid after issuing of the citizenship as we could then be sure they've a path into the country on the date of our flights.

Also, if anyone knows what type of visa the kids would need, it would be greatly appreciated. 

3 hours ago, Robin’s Emigrating said:

Hey All - We've still not received the kids citizenships. Does anyone what would happen if we applied for a visa and an exemption using their British passports, and the Australia citizenship was then approved after the visa was issues, but before we flew? Would we still be able to use the visa to enter the country, or would we have to then wait for their passport to arrive (or seek an ADV)?

We fly on May 3rd and I'm considering just getting the visas and exemptions now, particularly if they would remain valid after issuing of the citizenship as we could then be sure they've a path into the country on the date of our flights.

Also, if anyone knows what type of visa the kids would need, it would be greatly appreciated. 

An Australian citizen cannot hold a visa. However, an Australian citizen cannot be refused entry to Australia, so the issue is more likely getting the airline to uplift you. An ADV is an option as is an ‘undocumented uplift’ as detailed here: https://uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/PassportsWelcomePage.html. The AHC is, now, offering a limited number of emergency appointments. 

Thanks @paulhand. That’s useful. I guess the question that comes to mind is at what point we should apply for the visa if we’ve still not heard anything about the citizenship? I don’t know the name of the visa, how long it takes or how much it costs, but I’ve we’ve still not heard about the citizenship soon then I’m thinking we should apply for the visa - otherwise we could find ourselves with neither citizenship or visa come the day of our flight. 

I assume we’ll also have to apply for an exemption if they’re using the visa route. Not sure how long that takes, but would also need to factor that in.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All , im also in the same boat, applied for citizenship by decent for my child  on last December, its still in recieved state. When we contacted the embasy here they pointed that the Visa is processed in Australia.. does anyone know the contact email in australia who is processing the visa 

i ve applied my 309 before the child is born , now i got the 309 granted but still the child visa is pending 

Can we link him to the 309 , he was born while uts processing .. 

Any input on this will be very help full , thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...