Jobs in aerospace/motor industry?

engoz

Hi all.  My family and I want to move to Australia but I am struggling to find information on whether there is much work in the aviation/space/motor/innovative technology industries for a senior engineer/manager.  It seems that the majority of engineering work is in either IT/mining/construction.  If anyone can provide information on these sectors in Oz I would be very grateful.  Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, engoz said:

Hi all.  My family and I want to move to Australia but I am struggling to find information on whether there is much work in the aviation/space/motor/innovative technology industries for a senior engineer/manager.  It seems that the majority of engineering work is in either IT/mining/construction.  If anyone can provide information on these sectors in Oz I would be very grateful.  Thanks in advance!

Consider that Australia has a population of only 25 million people (compared to nearly 70 million for the UK), there's bound to be less budget for aviation/space/innovative technology.  Australia buys its military hardware and its planes from other countries, and all the major car manufacturers have shut down their factories because it's cheaper to import cars from their Asian hubs.  That's another reason there's less work in Australia, by the way - many aviation/car industries started in the UK and although they're now multinational, they've retained their base in the UK.    Whereas multinationals who want to operate in the Pacific won't headquarter themselves in Australia, they'll choose an Asian country because that's a bigger market.

Having said that, I'm sure there must be some niche operators in Australia and they would struggle to find experienced staff.  I'd say the best approach would be to research the industries, find the companies and approach them directly, rather than hunting for job ads.

https://www.spaceindustry.com.au/

https://www.industry.gov.au/funding-and-incentives/transitioning-australias-automotive-manufacturing-industry