Southlander

Driver's licence. Converting from UK.

Hi all, when converting your UK licence to Australia do you relenquish your UK licence or is it returned to you once the checks are done. So then have your oz one and UK one. I have an option of renewing my UK licence now for a further 10 years so would like to keep it going if I get to keep it. 

If you have gone through the process fairly recently or aware the process is still the same please can you let me know what happens. We will be heading to qld fyi.

Many thanks

You head into a major DoT office, pay the fee and get your Qld licence for that duration. You keep your UK licence.

• Like 1

IELTS : 13/08/16: W8 S8 L9 R9. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 30/08/16, 12/09/16, 10/10/16. AHPRA sent/AIP : 05/09/16, 28/12/16. EoI/invited: 20/1/17, 01/02/17. 189 submitted: 06/02/17, Caseworker: 23/02/17. Medicals: 31/03/17. Grant: 12/04/17. Child 101 submitted: 09/06/17. Granted: 06/07/17. Landed: 01/09/17.

To renew your UK license you have to declare you are resident in the UK. So if your residence is Australia a UK license isn’t valid anyway. 
Is there a reason you want to keep your UK license? You can drive on your Aus license in UK. 

• Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Hi, I've just converted mine from UK to Aus and they allowed me to retain my UK licence.  Whilst I still have it, I believe it is illegal to use a UK licence in the UK with an address you no longer reside at, or are an overseas resident.  

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments. 

@rammygirl Hi, I am still a UK resident, my licence can be renewed as the window is open (with a nominal charge) , but is still valid for some time. Also the UK address will be continual even when in Australia. I want them for dual purposes each to their own jurisdiction. The UK driving licence though is an excellent form of ID (not necessarily your address), just like your passport 😉

What did you do with your UK licence in Australia or do you have the paper one? 

@North to South  Hi, I really only want to keep it because I can, I wouldn't voluntarily give it up 🙂, but neither would I use it beyond its primary measures. The aforementioned address will still be my UK based address for when I'm in the UK. 

Thanks again & more comments welcomed. 👍

If you are still a UK resident then you need to renew.

I kept mine till it expired but never used it. Even on trips back to the UK I hired cars on my Aus license. To hire a car in uk as a uk resident you need proof of address like a recent utility bill so I couldn’t  use my uk licence anyway. 
Aus authorities don’t like the uk license for id even though temp residents can legally use them. 

• Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

6 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Even on trips back to the UK I hired cars on my Aus license. To hire a car in uk as a uk resident you need proof of address like a recent utility bill so I couldn’t  use my uk licence anyway. 

Same here - it was a much easier process hiring a car in the UK on my Australian licence as only half the paperwork was required. Highly recommended 👍

309 visa granted and moved to Adelaide from Brighton UK in 2012. 100 visa and PR granted 2013. Became a citizen on Australia Day 2017. 

18 hours ago, Southlander said:

Hi, I really only want to keep it because I can, I wouldn't voluntarily give it up 🙂,

The funny thing is that even if you do give it up, you never really give it up.  I returned to the UK after 30+ years, with no idea where my old UK licence was. I simply filled in a form and sent it to the DVLR saying I'd lost my licence, and hey presto, they sent me a new one. 

• Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke