Jump to content
llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

Recommended Posts

Just now, Parley said:

I wonder if they will switch him to Pfizer for 2nd dose. Would be worrying having a 2nd dose after a reaction like that.

Quite possibly. I have been told that my second AZ dose is due on 16 September and that could be a Pfizer jab. I was not aware that vaccinations were mix and match but apparently so for the over 60's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, simmo said:

Martial law in Sydney!

Screenshot_20210731-111100_Chrome.jpg

The army doesn't have much else to do.  May as well make themselves useful.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Our other Son-in-Law who is 35 and lives quite close to us had the first jab of AZ a few days ago. He had a horrible reaction.  My daughter found him in his underwear laying on the bathroom floor tiles due to a high fever even though we are in the middle of winter.  He had weird symptoms such as hearing continuous sounds similar to the sound frogs or crickets. Our daughter gave him a decent dose of Aspirin and that helped to reduce the fever and nausea.  He is OK now, thankfully.          

He shouldn’t have had aspirin. Tell her to use paracetamol and consult a Dr next time. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Quite possibly. I have been told that my second AZ dose is due on 16 September and that could be a Pfizer jab. I was not aware that vaccinations were mix and match but apparently so for the over 60's.


Surprised that they're even contemplating using the Pfizer jabs on the over-60s when they're struggling to find enough doses for the young people who can't have AZ.   Sounds like some  careless/wasteful planning somewhere if that's what ends up happening.  Unless you have a very late afternoon appointment, in which case they might use up any leftover Pfizer on you.  Bonus is that's the case, because it looks like a mixed vaccine can be beneficial.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, calNgary said:

Yes we are in lock down. The cases however are all nearer the city, the panic is because a few of those infected and spreading it are school students at 3 different schools. Its also because we havent had this many active cases since (i think it said) Aug last year and as this is the fast spreading Delta varient they had to do this strict lockdown.

 Cal x

Stay safe Cal. It’s more frightening I think when you’re not used to it. People are generally more compliant too. Hopefully be stamped out soon. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

He shouldn’t have had aspirin. Tell her to use paracetamol and consult a Dr next time. 

My bad as they say. Yes it was paracetamol. She did contact the doctor who advised paracetamol initially but also Aspirin if the fever did not subside after an hour or so.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Our other Son-in-Law who is 35 and lives quite close to us had the first jab of AZ a few days ago. He had a horrible reaction.  My daughter found him in his underwear laying on the bathroom floor tiles due to a high fever even though we are in the middle of winter.  He had weird symptoms such as hearing continuous sounds similar to the sound frogs or crickets. Our daughter gave him a decent dose of Aspirin and that helped to reduce the fever and nausea.  He is OK now, thankfully.          

They do recommend taking paracetamol.


Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

My bad as they say. Yes it was paracetamol. She did contact the doctor who advised paracetamol initially but also Aspirin if the fever did not subside after an hour or so.  

My wifes a nurse and when she had her first AZ jab took paracetomol as soon as she got in. No symptoms, went to work the following day. Same for the 2nd jab.

I got my first AZ about 6 weeks ago, felt fine and ignored my wifes advice to take paracetomol, just in case. 

Woke in the night feeling cold but sweating, felt achey and tired the next day. Should have listened.😁

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AZ jab is usually good.  It's the 2nd Pfizer jab that has stuffed people up.  My reaction hit on a Friday night and I had to run a steaming hot bath to get rid of the chill, then went straight to bed with a few co-codamol.  Was fine the next day. 

The girls at work were all absent after there's, not a single person came in.  And they are all nurses or ex-nurses so used to getting vaccinations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Robert Dyson said:

The AZ jab is usually good.  It's the 2nd Pfizer jab that has stuffed people up.  My reaction hit on a Friday night and I had to run a steaming hot bath to get rid of the chill, then went straight to bed with a few co-codamol.  Was fine the next day. 

The girls at work were all absent after there's, not a single person came in.  And they are all nurses or ex-nurses so used to getting vaccinations.

My experience is the opposite.   I only know one person who's had the Pfizer jab and she was fine with both.  All my other friends have had the AZ jab and all of them felt crook after the first jab, but absolutely fine after the second. 

  • Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Parley said:

I wonder if they will switch him to Pfizer for 2nd dose. Would be worrying having a 2nd dose after a reaction like that.

It’s quite unusual to get a reaction with the second dose of AZ.  It’s the first dose that can give the reactions.  In contrast, Pfizer gives little reaction with the first dose but a higher one with the second dose.  While not pleasant, they are all ‘normal’ as in some people will get them in varying degrees.  I got no reaction, some get light reactions and some get nasty ones but they only last a day or two and whilst unpleasant are not in any way considered bad.  The fever mentioned by Dusty is very common, the sounds aren’t common but some have had them.  A colleague said it sounded like someone was drilling in her head for a few hours.  She did get advice as worried and it is very unusual but ok.  She had no reaction at all with her second jab. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

My experience is the opposite.   I only know one person who's had the Pfizer jab and she was fine with both.  All my other friends have had the AZ jab and all of them felt crook after the first jab, but absolutely fine after the second. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-04-01/pfizer-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-side-effects-surprising/100030750

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/coronavirus/pfizer-covid-vaccination-side-effects-thousands-taking-sickies-after-second-dose-ng-b881931450z

Quote

If you're gearing up for your second dose of the Pfizer vaccine, it's worth noting that side-effects - sometimes so severe a day off work is required - are far more common after the second dose.

According to AusVaxSafety.org.au, which sends people a text message link to a feedback survey after they've received their injections, only 37.3 per cent people reported an adverse side effect after their first jab - the most common being pain at the injection site.

However, that figure blew out to 57 per cent of respondents who reported at least one adverse side effect after their second jab.

According to the website, 218,852 out of 384,120 people reported an adverse side effect after their second dose, with fatigue being the most common (43.9 per cent of participants) followed by pain at the injection site (43.1 per cent).

Of the other side effects, a headache was reported by 34.1 per cent of the participants, muscle aches by 33.8 per cent, chills by 22.5 per cent, joint aches by 19 per cent and a fever by 14.3 per cent.

More than a fifth of respondents reported missing work or study for a short period, with 1.5 per cent of people seeing a doctor or visiting an emergency department in the days after their second shot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Robert Dyson said:

I didn't say Pfizer didn't have a reaction.  I said I only know ONE person who had it and she was OK.  I'm not trying to draw any conclusions from that. 

 My main point was that lots of people have a bad reaction to the first dose of AZ (though not to the second).  It's the experience of myself, my oh and all my friends, and it's been on the news as well.


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

My bad as they say. Yes it was paracetamol. She did contact the doctor who advised paracetamol initially but also Aspirin if the fever did not subside after an hour or so.  

Surprising. It's a blood thinner. Usually paracetamol and ibuprofen if needed. Glad he's ok. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

My wifes a nurse and when she had her first AZ jab took paracetomol as soon as she got in. No symptoms, went to work the following day. Same for the 2nd jab.

I got my first AZ about 6 weeks ago, felt fine and ignored my wifes advice to take paracetomol, just in case. 

Woke in the night feeling cold but sweating, felt achey and tired the next day. Should have listened.😁

It wouldn't have helped hours later. A dose lasts 4-6 hours. 

They say to only take as needed but as I'm a big panadol fan and seem to have constant headaches I pre-dosed then took again 6 hours after. My bad indeed. Still felt ropey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I didn't say Pfizer didn't have a reaction.  I said I only know ONE person who had it and she was OK.  I'm not trying to draw any conclusions from that. 

 My main point was that lots of people have a bad reaction to the first dose of AZ (though not to the second).  It's the experience of myself, my oh and all my friends, and it's been on the news as well.

Yes of course,  I just thought it worth adding those reports because you only know of one person that's had it.  

Of the other 348,000 in Australia who've had Pf,  57% have responded to say they had a reaction to the second jab.  That's significant because it's the opposite of what you'd usually expect, and the opposite of AZ.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Robert Dyson said:

Yes of course,  I just thought it worth adding those reports because you only know of one person that's had it.  

Of the other 348,000 in Australia who've had Pf,  57% have responded to say they had a reaction to the second jab.  That's significant because it's the opposite of what you'd usually expect, and the opposite of AZ.

 

My experience of people having the two (from work), AZ - more people had a reaction to the first dose and Pf - more people had a reaction to the 2nd (I do wonder if it's the proximity of the doses with the Pf), the nurse who administered my first Pfizer did say the 2nd is designed to look for the first and bind.  I had a sore arm with the first dose, about 8 hours after the 2nd had a headache, had to take next two days off work and really came good about 5 days after the jab.


I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UK to begin rollout of 3rd jab booster shots from next month.


I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eleven Local Government Areas in Queensland are in a lockdown which has been extended by 8 days. LGA's include Brisbane, Gold Coast ,Sunshine Coast,  Lockyer Valley etc. There are 13 new Covid-19 cases with a total of 31 cases.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/08/2021 at 09:40, Marisawright said:


Surprised that they're even contemplating using the Pfizer jabs on the over-60s when they're struggling to find enough doses for the young people who can't have AZ.   Sounds like some  careless/wasteful planning somewhere if that's what ends up happening.  Unless you have a very late afternoon appointment, in which case they might use up any leftover Pfizer on you.  Bonus is that's the case, because it looks like a mixed vaccine can be beneficial.

They did say that AZ will pretty much be gone as an option by October because of greater availability of Pfizer as well as the arrival of Moderna.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, rtritudr said:

They did say that AZ will pretty much be gone as an option by October because of greater availability of Pfizer as well as the arrival of Moderna.

That's more or less the information I received back in mid June when we had our first AZ Jab. Things may have changed since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 01/08/2021 at 09:38, Robert Dyson said:

From Indian sources in Mumbai and Madras, the Delta variant is causing a death rate per thousand 3x that of the first wave.  Their official figures are 400,000 deaths, but more probably it is around 4 million because of political suppression and poor record keeping.  A future variant, if allowed to happen could be 10 or 100x worse.

More news on the data coming from the Delta variant and countries that have more evidence-based records than India are prepared to release.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-03/covid-delta-danger-sees-experts-prepare-for-hospital-surge/100334558

 

Quote

The raw data from NSW is backed up by early studies out of Canada, Scotland and Singapore which show the Delta strain appears to be associated with a higher risk of hospitalisation and death.

And last week leaked internal documents from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention declared "the war has changed", citing studies showing Delta caused more severe illness than earlier variants.

//

Greg Kelly, a Sydney-based paediatric intensive care specialist, said it was clear with the Delta strain that the things that worked once "aren't working anymore".

"Delta is testing countries and places that had really good control," Dr Kelly said.

"Like China, Vietnam and Singapore. And in Florida, for example, it is about to pass its hospitalisation rate from their two waves last year.

"And what we are seeing is more cases in children. Local data in Australia shows about 25 per cent of new cases are in children, and we are treating more children at our hospitals. 

"In the US they are seeing substantial numbers of critically ill children, and that could be a sign of things to come.

//Professor Tony Cunningham, from Sydney's Westmead Institute for Medical Research, said it was becoming "pretty clear" from overseas studies that Delta appeared to be a "two- to three-fold increase in hospitalisation".

This could be very important because "what to do with children" caused major disruption in the UK with knock-on effects to the parents being able to go out to work and expecting schools to stay open, even with kids at much reduced risk of catching or passing on the virus.   If there is hard evidence coming that Delta is a game-changer and kids are now going to be as badly affected as adults and can catch, spread and be susceptible to critical illness, all schools must close.

 

Edited by Robert Dyson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There couldn’t be a better advert for getting vaccinated than this - 

Of the 54 in ICU - 48 not vaccinated,  6 have had one dose and zero double vaccinated. 
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2021 at 15:14, Rossmoyne said:

Which then begs the question, why bother to get the jab?

You suffer less, less burden on the health system and you are less likely to pass it on.

It's quite amazing that this message hasn't been absorbed yet!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone be in any doubt that the NSW govt response was and is flawed to say the least? 2500 Qantas staff stood down today and NSW borders likely shut for another 2 months at least. Horrendous. The economic damage of delaying a full and early lockdown clear for all to see. Political posturing gone wrong. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×