llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

6 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

It absolutely is a myth.

I've no doubt that someone said that in the early days, in fact I think you said you had a video where Fauci stated it.  That's as maybe, but it wasn't the concensus, it wasn't what most people were saying and it wasn't a commonly held point of view.  

Go right the way back to the start and sticking with the USA, their FDA set out the threshold for a vaccine to be licenced as being:

• "prevent disease or decrease its severity in at least 50% of people who are vaccinated"

During vaccine development, pharma firms were sharing their ongoing findings:

• Jan 28 2021, Novovax interim data "nearly 90% effective but a seperate trial showed less effective against a new variant coming from South Africa"
  • May 6 2020, Sinovac "vaccine induced antibodies in above 90% of participants"
  • Pfizer Nov 2020 "90% effective in preventing C19"
  • the list goes on an on, take a read if you are interested

Manufacturers, governments, health services were not saying these vaccines were 100%.  I'm afraid you are wrong on this.   But even these 90%+ numbers were huge. Way higher than you normally see from vaccines.  But as reported here in May 2020 and  here in Sep 2021, expectations quickly had to soften as new variants emerged.  And here is Dr Fauci again, speaking in September 2020:

• ""I'd like it to be 75% or more," Fauci said, but he acknowledged that may not be realistic."

So you can see from the evidence, it IS a myth that at the start they were sold as 100% effective at stopping you from getting Covid

I don’t doubt what your saying but media, top government officials and even the American president shouldn’t be saying that it stops you from getting Covid.

I know it was very early on but it was said and that’s all I’m saying.

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

I don’t doubt what your saying but media, top government officials and even the American president shouldn’t be saying that it stops you from getting Covid.

Scientists used to say the Earth was flat too. No point in continually bringing up ancient history though

• Like 1

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

18 minutes ago, Parley said:

Scientists used to say the Earth was flat too. No point in continually bringing up ancient history though

Maybe it is flat 🤔

11 hours ago, Lavers said:

I don't remember this, but then it has been a long time.  Can you share a link pls?

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

Interesting read - thanks.  I note that he went on to correct his statement a few minutes later - I have a mental image of someone actually intelligent yelling into his earpiece "what the hell did you just say you great bumbling oaf"

BIDEN: Well, the virus — look, it’s real simple. We have a pandemic for those who haven’t gotten a vaccination. It’s that basic, that simple. Ten thousand people have recently died; 9,950 of them, thereabouts, are people who hadn’t been vaccinated.

This is a simple, basic proposition. If you’re vaccinated, you’re not going to be hospitalized, you’re not going to be in an ICU unit, and you are not going to die. 

Biden also stated, accurately, that vaccinated people are less likely to catch the virus than unvaccinated people and, if they do catch it, are less likely to get sick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school