llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.  "During the course of 2021" could still mean most of the supplies won't arrive till after October.  And you note it's only A vaccine for everyone, when we all know we need two jabs.  So nothing much has changed if you ask me.  We might have a decent number of people half-vaccinated by the end of the year.  Whoopee-do.

He didn't say that at all.

Don't forget it is only 3 weeks between pfizer doses. I'll probably be fully vaccinated long before you get your 2nd injection and i haven't had anything yet.

I want it all, and I want it now.

3 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Remember how it was always referred to as the "Oxford AstraZeneca" vaccine by the UK government and UK media.  Since there are questions about safety and reports of efficacy being lower than some others, the Oxford part has been quietly dropped by most outlets.

I thnk its no better or worse than the others but as usual the EU have been falling over themselves to give it a bad name. Big pharma is corrupt to the eyeballs anyway at least AZ are providing their product at cost for now, all the other are 5-6 times the price 🤔 thats what you get for being ethical???

• Like 4

7 hours ago, simmo said:

It's the morning after and I feel fine. I was rough after the first one though.

Update!!  dont feel rough but very tired - a jet lag feeling.  nowhere near as bad as last time.

• Like 1

The contraceptive pill gives 1/1000 women (and some men apparently ) blood clots.

AZ 1/250000.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.  "During the course of 2021" could still mean most of the supplies won't arrive till after October.  And you note it's only A vaccine for everyone, when we all know we need two jabs.  So nothing much has changed if you ask me.  We might have a decent number of people half-vaccinated by the end of the year.  Whoopee-do.

The bit that sounds like politician speak is:

Are we on track to offer every Australian a vaccine who is eligible during the course of 2021?

What does 'eligible' mean?  Right now according to health.gov.au  it's:

Anyone aged 40 years and over, as well as other priority groups can be vaccinated

But that could change (positively or negatively).  I think this is where there might be smoke and mirrors.

• Like 2

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

4 hours ago, parley3 said:

AZ should be discontinued altogether.

Not before my 2nd jab next week I hope.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, parley3 said:

Pfizer and Moderna are more effective and safer vaccines.

There have been quite a number of clot cases from AZ, people are in hospital, some in intensive care and  some deaths. There is a better and safer alternative.

Also the public have lost confidence in AZ so it will not have the desired result of getting the majority of people vaccinated.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/doctors-warn-over-50s-cancelling-appointments-despite-expert-second-doses-are-safe-20210617-p581wy.html

The AZ is confirmed as 92% effective in preventing hospitalisation after two doses (Pfizer is 96%)  You make out it has a poor outcome in terms of the risk of being hospitalised, that’s incorrect.  

If you want to state ‘there has been quite a number of clot cases with AZ’ it would perhaps be a good idea to also state the amount of doses given.  That then gives an honest and fair representative of the situation.  One clot death is one too many of course but the enormous amount of deaths prevented is incredible.  Sadly that means little if your loved one has succumbed to a clot death but it means so much to the great many alive today who otherwise wouldn’t be. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, parley3 said:

AZ should be discontinued altogether.

It takes up to 4 weeks after the vaccination for the body to produce effective quantity / quality antibodies
She was just unlucky that she caught covid before her body had time to produce sufficient antibodies to fight off the virus.

Dr Campbell on YouTube has evidence-based lectures on the virus almost every day.
He had one a few weeks ago comparing the side effects of the Pfizer and Astra Zeneca vaccine.

The Pfizer vaccine is not risk free a very tiny percentage of people to get an inflamed heart muscle!
The Astra Zeneca vaccine has very tiny percentage of people who get a blood clot.
Dr Campbell believes that the small number of cases of bad side effects could be caused by
The way the vaccine is administered.

I am not medically trained it is just my opinion.

• Like 1

You can ignore reality but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality

10 hours ago, parley3 said:

He didn't say that at all.

Don't forget it is only 3 weeks between pfizer doses. I'll probably be fully vaccinated long before you get your 2nd injection and i haven't had anything yet.

you’re the one who quoted what he said. Read it again. He’s talking about the end of the year, and the course of 2021 and A vaccine,, not two. Consistent with what they’ve been saying recently. You may get two jabs before end year but I bet many don’t 

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

2021-06-18_9-30-31.jpg

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, simmo said:

It's the morning after and I feel fine. I was rough after the first one though.

That's good.  I also didn't feel the best for a day or so after the first one.  Fingers crossed the 2nd one won't be the same.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, simmo said:

The contraceptive pill gives 1/1000 women (and some men apparently ) blood clots.

AZ 1/250000.

I didn't know there was a contraceptive pill for men.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

2021-06-18_9-30-31.jpg

The truth will eventually come out 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Parley said:

2021-06-18_9-30-31.jpg

Trump nailed it again.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Parley said:

Also the public have lost confidence in AZ so it will not have the desired result of getting the majority of people vaccinated.

Incorrect parley.  You are scared of it, fair enough.  That doesn't mean the "public" feel the same way.

In fact, I'm part of the "public" and happily got jabbed with AZ.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Parley said:

I didn't know there was a contraceptive pill for men.

Yes.  Men can have babies too now. Don't ask me how, it's just what I've been told.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Incorrect parley.  You are scared of it, fair enough.  That doesn't mean the "public" feel the same way.

In fact, I'm part of the "public" and happily got jabbed with AZ.

Not everyone obviously but enough people for it to be a problem for the rollout.

It is only natural that if there is one vaccine that is seen as slightly better and slightly safer many people will insist on that one. No matter how much the government tries to convince them they will be stubborn until they get their way.

I make another prediction. AZ will not be used at all next year. When it comes time for everyone to get their next year 2 shot like the annual flu shot everyone will be on Pfizer or Moderna.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Rallyman said:

The truth will eventually come out 

What’s so funny FWP ?

Don't you want to know the origin of the virus 🤷‍♂️

Australia were the first to ask for a enquire into the origin and just look how the Chinese reacted slapping tariffs on everything  they could to try and hurt us economically. 

So yes imho let’s get the truth as to its origin and we might be able to learn more about it. 

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 4

I think the dropping of Oxford from Oxford AstraZeneca is simply because it’s too unwieldy.  It’s mostly referred to as AZ.  The top scientists from Oxford University who were involved in the research were honoured in the Queen’s birthday honours so it doesn’t sound as though the government wants to disown the connection.

Feeling good after second dose of AZ.  Both OH and I had reaction after first jab but absolutely fine after the second.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

What’s so funny FWP ?

Australia were the first to ask for a enquire into the origin and just look how the Chinese reacted slapping tariffs on everything  they could to try and hurt us economically. 

So yes imho let’s get the truth as to its origin and we might be able to learn more about it. 

Watch out, we’re getting off topic again 

• Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

40 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Watch out, we’re getting off topic again 

I think it’s important to get to the bottom of its origin as it might give us insight to fighting future virus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Feeling good after second dose of AZ.  Both OH and I had reaction after first jab but absolutely fine after the second.

Phew. What a relief.

As we had the first AZ dose in Oz and the second in England I could probably make a case for the English version being superior, given we had no reaction to that one🤣  What do you think?  Sound feasible?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

As we had the first AZ dose in Oz and the second in England I could probably make a case for the English version being superior, given we had no reaction to that one🤣  What do you think?  Sound feasible?

Could be. You probably need to be alert for symptoms for up to 4 weeks.

Even if you feel fine next day clots may develop over time so after a month i think you can relax.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

What’s so funny FWP ?

What's funny is the desperation for edge conspiracy theories to be correct and the constant sharing of crap from spurious sources to try to evidence it, whilst totally ignoring the huge volume of other evidence because it inconveniently doesn't align to the agenda.

Every rational person wants to understand the truth, because then we stand more chance of it not happening again.  What you seem unable to understand is when people keep putting forward hysterical, unsubstantiated theories or unfounded assertions or severely biased reports it isn't helping to achieve that.  In fact it's obfuscating the facts and that prevents and hinders progress.

I'll say again what I've said before.  It's entirely possible that this thing was man made. It's entirely possible that it was made in a lab in Wuhan.  Right now there's no conclusive evidence one way or another, but that vast majority of evidence that does exist and the vast majority of scientists who have studied it believe this isn't the case.   So a rational person would conclude that it's probably not man made but we should keep an open mind and we should keep looking.

An irrational person takes as probable that sensationalist nonsense that unscrupulous outlets and individuals peddle in order to get the gullible to click the links to their content and drive up their sponsorship/advertising revenue.

Edited by FirstWorldProblems
  • Like 2
  • Congratulations 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school