llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

33 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

You were the one saying countries were banning it. No-one will know who's correct for a few years yet.

Sorry my bad for saying                  “ banning” ok not giving it to certain age groups which is a completely different approach to Australia saying anybody over 50

all conflicting approaches, when you see this happen it’s maybe the reason why vaccination has not been taken up here as in say uk .  

My friends daughter who is 26 had AZ ages ago as she was going on a placement with vulnerable adults, nothing else was available at the time.  She discussed it with her GP who reminded her that the risk of clots from the contraceptive she was taking was much much higher.

My friends in Uk have kids under 30 that had AZ too.  Tens of millions of people of all ages worldwide have had it with no issues, unfortunately they are publicising the bad reactions without context.  Fair enough they have changed the age now I hope the dithered will now get a vaccine.

I got my first AZ a month ago.

• Like 3

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

I will finally be able to get vaccinated.

Great news today.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Posted (edited)
On 14/06/2021 at 15:05, Marisawright said:

and this would be a surprise because....?

I'm finding it interesting to see the increasing debate about "letting Covid grumble along" instead of eradication, and also the number of people who are saying we must stop having lockdowns and making people wear masks, and just rely on contact tracing instead.  I wonder if the powers-that-be are testing the water?

If that's beginning to be the prevailing wisdom, then I can't wait to get my second vaccine.  It seems to me that if we stop having lockdowns and stop imposing restrictions, there's every chance Covid will escape sooner rather than later.  

Luckilly the powers that be have acted decisively.

They care about that poor woman and don't want a repeat.

I will now be able to get vaccinated. 

Edited by Parley

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, simmo said:

Had my 2nd AZ jab today.

How are you mate after getting covid early on. 

Edited by Rallyman

Really this was inevitable. So many over 50 refusing AZ it was just a matter of time.

I suppose it show that some of us amateurs no a lot better than the so called experts?

• Haha 1

On 16/06/2021 at 01:32, simmo said:

My kids are 15 and 16 and sooner or later they will be expected to have a covid jab.  

What are other pio parents thinking about getting their kids vaccinated?

I’d let my 15 yr old son make his own mind up but I expect he’d have it as he’s keen on travelling. 

• Like 1

I have a nurse friend in the UK battling long covid. She gets breathless very easily. Previously fit and well, now on restricted duties 6 months after her original illness. She’d had her 1st AZ jab a few days before testing positive. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I have a nurse friend in the UK battling long covid. She gets breathless very easily. Previously fit and well, now on restricted duties 6 months after her original illness. She’d had her 1st AZ jab a few days before testing positive. 

AZ should be discontinued altogether.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I wish people would stop using sensationalist language.  Most are not "banning" the use of AZ, they're restricting it to certain age groups on medical advice. Big difference.

Remember how it was always referred to as the "Oxford AstraZeneca" vaccine by the UK government and UK media.  Since there are questions about safety and reports of efficacy being lower than some others, the Oxford part has been quietly dropped by most outlets.

• Haha 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

17 hours ago, simmo said:

Looks like Trump was right again. Hydroxychloroquine drug touted by Trump as Covid treatment can increase survival rates by 200%, study finds https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15229892/hydroxychloroquine-trump-covid-survival/

except of course it doesn't find that, it isn't a peer reviewed study, it isn't a clinical trial (it's an observational data study of 255 cases), it's current a pre-print rather than a published study and early peer reviews and to conclude cause and effect from that would be bonkers.

Of course that won't stop irresponsible reporting to the gullible.

The rest of us will await the clinical trial and if it looks good, then we'll get excited. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

9 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

except of course it doesn't find that, it isn't a peer reviewed study....Of course that won't stop irresponsible reporting to the gullible.

Also remember Trump was advocating it as a preventative, whereas this study refers to using it as a treatment for the critically ill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

45 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Also remember Trump was advocating it as a preventative, whereas this study refers to using it as a treatment for the critically ill.

Damn pesky facts, always coming along to ruin an hysterical narrative

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

How can you say AZ should be discontinued parley3?  It’s saved countless lives all over the world and the makers are not making huge profits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, parley3 said:

AZ should be discontinued altogether.

I don't think @HappyHeart is suggesting the vaccine caused the problem?     None of the vaccines are effective immediately, her friend was just unlucky to catch Covid before the vaccine took effect.  

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

How can you say AZ should be discontinued parley3?  It’s saved countless lives all over the world and the makers are not making huge profits.

Pfizer and Moderna are more effective and safer vaccines.

There have been quite a number of clot cases from AZ, people are in hospital, some in intensive care and  some deaths. There is a better and safer alternative.

Also the public have lost confidence in AZ so it will not have the desired result of getting the majority of people vaccinated.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/doctors-warn-over-50s-cancelling-appointments-despite-expert-second-doses-are-safe-20210617-p581wy.html

Edited by Parley

20 minutes ago, parley3 said:

Pfizer and Moderna are more effective and safer vaccines.

Yes, but we can't get any more supply till October.  I'm sure many other countries are in the same position.  The longer we delay the start of vaccinations, the longer it takes to get everyone vaccinated.   You're basically saying, let's just put everything on hold for 5 months.

You say there are "a number of" clot cases.  How many out of how many vaccines?  How many deaths as a percentage?  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, parley3 said:

There have been quite a number of clot cases from AZ, people are in hospital, some in intensive care and  some deaths. There is a better and safer alternative.

Also the public have lost confidence in AZ so it will not have the desired result of getting the majority of people vaccinated.

Can we stop with the misinformation and scare-mongering.  In the UK alone there are 1/4 mil AZ doses given each day - heaven knows how many millions around the world per day.  Hardly a loss of confidence......

• Like 2

The public in Australia presumably?  I had my second dose of AstraZeneca last night and the queues were huge.  I think back to this time last year with hundreds dying each day and the world praying for a vaccine.  Fast forward and you’re talking of banning one because of the risk of a blood clot which it has been stated time after time is statistically less than the risk of taking the contraception pill.  By all means, you choose a different vaccine and hope you don’t catch Covid in the meantime but don’t talk of banning a very effective vaccine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

The public in Australia presumably?  

Yes obviously I am referring to Australia after today's decision to restrict it to over 60s only.

6 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, but we can't get any more supply till October. 

We get deliveries every month.

5 minutes ago, parley3 said:

We get deliveries every month.

But not enough, we are still just getting the supplies from our original order and that's why they're having to go slow with the Pfizer.  We aren't going to get a large delivery until October, remember?

3 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

But not enough, we are still just getting the supplies from our original order and that's why they're having to go slow with the Pfizer.  We aren't going to get a large delivery until October, remember?

From todays press conference...

Health Minister Greg Hunt asked Pfizer to speed up delivery of the rest of the mRNA vaccine doses Australia was due to receive by the end of this year.

He said Pfizer had promised to deliver 1.7 million more doses by the end of this month and 2.8 million doses next month – more than was expected.

“Are we on track to offer every Australian a vaccine who is eligible during the course of 2021? The answer remains, and the advice we have, is yes,” Mr Hunt said.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, parley3 said:

From todays press conference...

Health Minister Greg Hunt asked Pfizer to speed up delivery of the rest of the mRNA vaccine doses Australia was due to receive by the end of this year.

He said Pfizer had promised to deliver 1.7 million more doses by the end of this month and 2.8 million doses next month – more than was expected.

“Are we on track to offer every Australian a vaccine who is eligible during the course of 2021? The answer remains, and the advice we have, is yes,” Mr Hunt said.

Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.  "During the course of 2021" could still mean most of the supplies won't arrive till after October.  And you note it's only A vaccine for everyone, when we all know we need two jabs.  So nothing much has changed if you ask me.  We might have a decent number of people half-vaccinated by the end of the year.  Whoopee-do.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rallyman said:

How are you mate after getting covid early on. 

I lost over a stone in weight and i've put that back on 😞 but apart from that I think i'm ok thanks.

• Like 1