llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

2 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

What newjez said was, "It seems to happen when someone who has had covid takes the vaccine".    That is a different thing from the usual "long covid" which people get immediately after having covid.  Newjez's post is the first I've ever heard of it.    But the point is, that's someone who already had covid and then the vaccine is triggering some kind of relapse.  Not good news but not an issue for someone who''s never had Covid in the first place.

And that is what i posted, so i didn't misunderstand anything.

I wonder if it only happens after taking AstraZeneca? or can happen with Pfizer also.

I had never heard of Long Covid in Australia so not worried about it myself. But it could put people off as another risk with AZ.

Who can say for sure they never had Covid and recovered without seeking medical attention. Would be terrible if they then caught Long Covid from the vaccine.
This was Newjez warning to you anyway so take it up with him if you want to argue about it.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Parley said:

I had never heard of Long Covid in Australia so not worried about it myself. But it could put people off as another risk with AZ.

You can't catch Long Covid from any vaccine.

Long Covid is something you continue to suffer immediately after you've had Covid.   I'll say that again.  Long Covid is something you continue to suffer immediately after you've had Covid.  It's already been fairly well researched.  

Getting the vaccine appears to HELP people who have Long Covid.

@newjez has raised a completely different situation that his friend has experienced. It isn't Long Covid because that is what I described above.  I haven't seen any other reports so far but obviously they'll have to find a new name for it because it is something different.  Newjez said the main symptom was tiredness, like chronic fatigue, which isn't quite the same as Long Covid either.  

Given the millions who have been vaccinated, it must be a fairly rare side effect for there to be no reports on the side effects registers yet. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Posted (edited)

AstraZeneca banned for all under 60s in Italy due to teen death'https://www.theaustralian.com.au/world/the-times/astrazeneca-banned-for-under60s-after-teen-death/news-story/8222a97df30eeced9c668814c4928d90

Italy’s vaccination campaign has been thrown into chaos after experts banned the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine for the under-60s only days after young Italians were encouraged to take it.

The restriction on the use of the vaccine followed the death last Thursday from blood clotting of an 18-year-old woman in Liguria who had her first jab on May 25.

1. The Canadian National Advisory Committee on Immunization recommended back in March that the AZ vaccine is not given to adults under 55. Belgium and France have completely banned AZ for under-55’s.

2. Germany, Italy, Ireland, Portugal, Spain and Estonia have banned AZ for under-60’s.

3. Sweden, Finland and Lithuania have banned AZ for under-65’s.

4. Iceland has banned AZ for under-70’s.

5. Norway, the Netherlands and Denmark have banned AZ for all ages.

6. The USA FDA has also refused to approve AZ for emergency use based on the information currently before it, and whilst AZ has pivoted to now seeking full/non-emergency approval, it is telling that the US Government is rapidly jettisoning its AZ stockpiles.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 2

On 11/06/2021 at 15:08, Parley said:

I don't think it is a matter of not caring about it. But in the middle of a global pandemic it would be very foolish to rush to opening them too soon.

The world needs to get on top of Covid first so I expect 18 months to 2 years is a reasonable timeframe to aim for.

reasonable unless, like me, you haven't been able to see you significant other for 15 months! Or all of the other people who can't see family around the world.

I'm all right Jack apparently

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Parley said:

AstraZeneca banned for all under 60s in Italy due to teen death'https://www.theaustralian.com.au/world/the-times/astrazeneca-banned-for-under60s-after-teen-death/news-story/8222a97df30eeced9c668814c4928d90

Italy’s vaccination campaign has been thrown into chaos after experts banned the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine for the under-60s only days after young Italians were encouraged to take it.

and this would be a surprise because....?

I'm finding it interesting to see the increasing debate about "letting Covid grumble along" instead of eradication, and also the number of people who are saying we must stop having lockdowns and making people wear masks, and just rely on contact tracing instead.  I wonder if the powers-that-be are testing the water?

If that's beginning to be the prevailing wisdom, then I can't wait to get my second vaccine.  It seems to me that if we stop having lockdowns and stop imposing restrictions, there's every chance Covid will escape sooner rather than later.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

20 hours ago, Parley said:

I had never heard of Long Covid in Australia so not worried about it myself.

Long Covid (after the initial infection, not  vaccines) has been reported on by the Medical Journal of Australia in December last year.  About a third of the patients treated at St. Vincent's Hospital in Sydney were experiencing long Covid.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/22/covid-patients-plagued-by-symptoms-months-after-infection-australian-study-shows

This is a podcast of "long haulers" in Australia:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/audio/2020/jul/28/what-do-we-know-about-the-long-term-effects-of-covid-19

and I know there is at least one Australian Facebook support group for long Covid sufferers.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'm finding it interesting to see the increasing debate about "letting Covid grumble along" instead of eradication, and also the number of people who are saying we must stop having lockdowns and making people wear masks, and just rely on contact tracing instead.  I wonder if the powers-that-be are testing the water?

It could also be a coordinated effort to scare the public into getting the vaccination, precisely for the reasons that you've outlined.

My kids are 15 and 16 and sooner or later they will be expected to have a covid jab.  

What are other pio parents thinking about getting their kids vaccinated?

6 hours ago, simmo said:

My kids are 15 and 16 and sooner or later they will be expected to have a covid jab.  

Mine are 16 and nearly 20.  I figure at that age they are able to make their own decisions regarding getting vaccinated but I would be encouraging them to do so.  It's a bit different for me though because I'm in Australia and it will be a while before they are eligible and even once they are they will be offered the Pfizer vaccine, which hasn't yet been shown to have any rare, deadly side effects.  I would still encourage them to have the AZ vaccine if that was what was on offer but I could understand why some parents may be hesitant.

• Like 4

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

22 hours ago, rtritudr said:

It could also be a coordinated effort to scare the public into getting the vaccination, precisely for the reasons that you've outlined.

Public should be getting the vaccine not because they're scared but just so the world can get back to some sort of normal. I reckon you'll have to prove you've been vaccinated soon to have any chance of getting on a plane.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, simmo said:

My eldest is 31 so is now eligible. We asked him when he's getting it, he's already booked in. Youngest is 25 and the sooner the better I reckon. It's the Pfizer one for them though I think.

Edited by Paul1Perth
  • Like 1

Had my 2nd AZ jab today.

• Like 2

On 14/06/2021 at 12:38, Parley said:

The restriction on the use of the vaccine followed the death last Thursday from blood clotting of an 18-year-old woman in Liguria who had her first jab on May 25.

1. The Canadian National Advisory Committee on Immunization recommended back in March that the AZ vaccine is not given to adults under 55. Belgium and France have completely banned AZ for under-55’s.

2. Germany, Italy, Ireland, Portugal, Spain and Estonia have banned AZ for under-60’s.

3. Sweden, Finland and Lithuania have banned AZ for under-65’s.

4. Iceland has banned AZ for under-70’s.

5. Norway, the Netherlands and Denmark have banned AZ for all ages.

6. The USA FDA has also refused to approve AZ for emergency use based on the information currently before it, and whilst AZ has pivoted to now seeking full/non-emergency approval, it is telling that the US Government is rapidly jettisoning its AZ stockpiles.

Lots of countries banning use of AZ , so I presume these countries are taking advice from their medical experts ? 
who right then these countries or Australia to say it’s safe. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Lots of countries banning use of AZ , so I presume these countries are taking advice from their medical experts ? 

I wish people would stop using sensationalist language.  Most are not "banning" the use of AZ, they're restricting it to certain age groups on medical advice. Big difference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, simmo said:

Had my 2nd AZ jab today.

We're having the 2nd AZ jab in a couple of weeks.

Any side effects after the 2nd jab @simmo?

Great news.

AstraZeneca about to be banned for all 50-59 year olds in Australia. They are finally seeing sense.

This follows the recent death of a 52 year old woman in NSW.

4 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Aus isn't saying it's safe, everyone knows the risks, there are risks in every medical procedure and jab, you can have a bad reaction to the pfizer one too and the vaccine hasn't been out that long. Could turn out that any of them has a long term affect no-one has thought of.

People have bad reactions to the flu jab or other vaccines sometimes.

You have the choice not to have it or wait for pfizer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

My wife had her 2nd one a couple of weeks ago. Took a couple of panadol as soon as she got home and had zero side affects.

On 16/06/2021 at 07:57, NicF said:

It's a bit different for me though because I'm in Australia and it will be a while before they are eligible and even once they are they will be offered the Pfizer vaccine, which hasn't yet been shown to have any rare, deadly side effects.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/heart-inflammation-linked-to-small-number-of-pfize

Myocarditis linked to small number of Pfizer recipients in Israel

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I wish people would stop using sensationalist language.  Most are not "banning" the use of AZ, they're restricting it to certain age groups on medical advice. Big difference.

Oh matron 

nobody is using sensational language at all , just asked a simple question who’s correct 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Aus isn't saying it's safe, everyone knows the risks, there are risks in every medical procedure and jab, you can have a bad reaction to the pfizer one too and the vaccine hasn't been out that long. Could turn out that any of them has a long term affect no-one has thought of.

People have bad reactions to the flu jab or other vaccines sometimes.

You have the choice not to have it or wait for pfizer.

countries in the list are saying the opposite to Australia 

4 hours ago, Toots said:

It's the morning after and I feel fine. I was rough after the first one though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

Oh matron 

nobody is using sensational language at all , just asked a simple question who’s correct 

You were the one saying countries were banning it. No-one will know who's correct for a few years yet.

Fantastic news today and i feel vindicated in my stance.

It does show you should be a bit skeptical of the so called experts as they change their minds.

• Like 1