llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Parley said:

Lets not be a drama queen.

Have a look at the death statistics for Australia, UK and Germany and let your twitter friend know too.

Agreed. Could you imagine where we would be if Federal Labor were running the response to Covid-19? Good grief.  Actually then, the unions would be running the show.

Edited by Dusty Plains

1 hour ago, Peach said:

Whereas it is a 100% true to say the LNP is happy to let the poor folk (who won't vote for them anyway) die.

Really? "100% " true"?

The only political party that is "happy" that the pandemic came along and improved their chances of being re-elected, is Labor at the state level in WA, QLD and Victoria.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, s713 said:

Actually, what is cobblers is the idea that a GP would issue a prescription for paracetamol or aspirin. Or anything that they know can be bought cheaper over the counter. Just doesn't happen.

When the prescription is free (as is the case for the elderly and those with chronic conditions in England, or they live in Scotland or Wales) how can it be bought cheaper over the counter?

Here in Australia where prescriptions aren't free, GPs still issue prescriptions for over the counter medicines even though they aren't needed. I got a prescription for low dose Aspirin a few months back (didn't use it as I just bought the item).

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia) www.kbfayers.com

19 minutes ago, Ken said:

When the prescription is free (as is the case for the elderly and those with chronic conditions in England, or they live in Scotland or Wales) how can it be bought cheaper over the counter?

Here in Australia where prescriptions aren't free, GPs still issue prescriptions for over the counter medicines even though they aren't needed. I got a prescription for low dose Aspirin a few months back (didn't use it as I just bought the item).

I have been on low dose aspirin for over a year now. A packet of 114 tablets costs less than $4. Directed to me by a cardiologist and by a GP but never prescribed by either. 

Its cheaper than toothpaste.

4 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

I have been on low dose aspirin for over a year now. A packet of 114 tablets costs less than $4. Directed to me by a cardiologist and by a GP but never prescribed by either. 

I take those.  100mg daily dose and cheaper than a bottle of water!

22 minutes ago, Ken said:

Free to the patient if they're eligible, or the £9.35 chargeable to payers is to cover handling and processing costs, and probably the time it takes to write the prescription...so the assumption is that those who get it for free, are leaving the £9.35 cost to be picked by the taxpayer...so it's not free.   Tesco sell 16 generic paracetamol for 29p.  As most GP's are near chemists, it would be easier for the GP to send somebody over the road and buy it for them. 

In Australia you can now get 100 paracetamol for about $5, you couldn't do that here 10 years ago....it was all branded stuff and stupidly expensive. 

10 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Also worth saying, you wouldn't be able to buy such amounts in the UK...i think they limit to 32, and have seen a sizeable drop in overdose, organ damage and suicides. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beketamun said:

Also worth saying, you wouldn't be able to buy such amounts in the UK...i think they limit to 32, and have seen a sizeable drop in overdose, organ damage and suicides. 

1x100mg per day is the limit for low dose Aspirin.

Covid has hit most parts of QLD quite hard this last couple of weeks (compared to what we have seen since it all began) and we have a few thousand new cases. Its very difficult to even get a test of any sort at the minute. Rules have also relaxed/ changed in relation to who needs to quarantine and get tested, where you have to wear a mask etc etc

They are advising you go and get a RAT test but everywhere seems to have sold out. One of the major testers Sullivan Nicholades have said they are no longer testing at all. People are attending hospitals for tests so some are queing for hours. To be honest its all gone a little bit crazy again so lets hope things can be sorted a little this next few weeks.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DIG85 said:

The twitter troll’s claim that one could go into “any chemist” in the UK and get a RAT free of charge was wrong.

A free commodity is always going to run out as people load up on quantities they will never use. It is not sensible to give RATs away free of charge.

No it wasn't wrong. As I said, that has been the case all through the pandemic until about a week and a half ago, when there was a shortage. That shortage is now on the way to being rectified, I have some myself as of last week, and you will soon again be able to get them free in "any chemist".

So, there's probably been about 2 weeks in nigh on 2 years where there's been a shortage and they haven't been readily available "for free" in "any chemist's". Or the supermarket/online/corner shop.....

Edited by s713

59 minutes ago, s713 said:

No it wasn't wrong. As I said, that has been the case all through the pandemic until about a week and a half ago, when there was a shortage. That shortage is now on the way to being rectified, I have some myself as of last week, and you will soon again be able to get them free in "any chemist".

So, there's probably been about 2 weeks in nigh on 2 years where there's been a shortage and they haven't been readily available "for free" in "any chemist's". Or the supermarket/online/corner shop.....

I really don’t understand why are you are finding this difficult. It was wrong at the time it was written and is still wrong.

24 minutes ago, DIG85 said:

I really don’t understand why are you are finding this difficult. It was wrong at the time it was written and is still wrong.

Whatever makes you feel better.

4 hours ago, beketamun said:

Annoyingly you can’t get panadol osteo in the uk because people were overdosing, although I think Australia has tightened access a little bit as well for the same reason. I’m gutted as it’s such a good analgesic. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, calNgary said:

Covid has hit most parts of QLD quite hard this last couple of weeks (compared to what we have seen since it all began) and we have a few thousand new cases. Its very difficult to even get a test of any sort at the minute. Rules have also relaxed/ changed in relation to who needs to quarantine and get tested, where you have to wear a mask etc etc

They are advising you go and get a RAT test but everywhere seems to have sold out. One of the major testers Sullivan Nicholades have said they are no longer testing at all. People are attending hospitals for tests so some are queing for hours. To be honest its all gone a little bit crazy again so lets hope things can be sorted a little this next few weeks.

Cal x

Have they spoken about when they expect case numbers to peak in Qld?

This is the scary bit for us all with reopening (WA to follow soon I hope), fingers crossed we can make it past this chaotic phase with as few hospitalisations as possible while Omicron spreads and the vaccines do their thing, before case numbers taper off and stabilise (I hope!)

Edited by MacGyver

:evilface_frowning_s

11 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

I did it for a couple of years. 5 or more years it was seen as a great prevention of strokes etc and virtually recommended to everyone. More recently that changed a bit and now they say only on advice from your doctor.

The annoying thing I found is if you get a simple cut, it can be hard to stop the bleeding. Not great if you are out somewhere.

• Like 1

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Is the UK the only country to test for Covid for free?  I’ve just read online about price gouging in Australia with LFT doubling in price.  My friend in France texted me to say LFT were €5 each after being free until October last year.  PCR tests are between €25-45 but free if you are a close contact.  Surely it’s counter productive to charge and must distort the figures?

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Is the UK the only country to test for Covid for free?  I’ve just read online about price gouging in Australia with LFT doubling in price.  My friend in France texted me to say LFT were €5 each after being free until October last year.  PCR tests are between €25-45 but free if you are a close contact.  Surely it’s counter productive to charge and must distort the figures?

PCR tests are free in Australia and have always been free. but there are very long queues currently.

The rapid antigen tests are around $10 to $12 each. The argument is about whether it is mandatory to have a test or not. Ie if you go out in a risky scenario deliberately, should you get a free test.

It sounds like free tests will be coming but probably not for everyone. I know the English love getting everything for free but it is not quite the same culture in Australia or other countries.

Must admit I am stuggling to see the point in these tests now. Their time has passed I think. Just get your booster and don't worry about it.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 1

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

On 02/01/2022 at 15:17, s713 said:

Actually, what is cobblers is the idea that a GP would issue a prescription for paracetamol or aspirin. Or anything that they know can be bought cheaper over the counter. Just doesn't happen.

Some people don't pay for prescriptions. I get them to prescribe everything they can.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Must admit I am stuggling to see the point in these tests now. Their time has passed I think. Just get your booster and don't worry about it.

The problem i have heard about is some people are being told they MUST show a negative result before they can return to work. With no tests available within a 80km radius it is proving tricky for them to do this. I believe 2 of our local stores will be receiving some today but it will be another toilet roll disaster with idiots that dont need them buying stockpiles.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

30 minutes ago, calNgary said:

The problem i have heard about is some people are being told they MUST show a negative result before they can return to work. With no tests available within a 80km radius it is proving tricky for them to do this. I believe 2 of our local stores will be receiving some today but it will be another toilet roll disaster with idiots that dont need them buying stockpiles.

Cal x

Its like the toilet paper rush. Its the fear of missing out.

Certainly there are people who have a specific need to have a negative test, either for their employment or for other essential needs. However, for the rest of us, unless we have flu like symptoms, or we are absolutely desperate to get into Queensland, or both, then we do not need to line up at a testing site or need to purchase Antigen Rapid Test.  Allow the stocks to be  reserved for people showing symptoms.

A member of my family recently had cold-like symptoms. I purchased 2 packets of the Antigen rapid test Kit, with two tests in each package. I walked into my local IGA and there were boxes and boxes of the test kits, and probably as many toilet rolls in the IGA. 

It cost me $54 which is ok. My family member, convinced that she had Covid-19, took three of the tests over time. Result? All three tests were negative.    

3 hours ago, Parley said:

The annoying thing I found is if you get a simple cut, it can be hard to stop the bleeding. Not great if you are out somewhere.

Miniscule price to pay.  Better than getting a blocked artery and a heart attack when you're "out somewhere".

55 minutes ago, calNgary said:

The problem i have heard about is some people are being told they MUST show a negative result before they can return to work. With no tests available within a 80km radius it is proving tricky for them to do this.

this is the plan...make the system break down completely.  It's difficult to reconcile two contradictory positions, but that is exactly what NSW have done.

Promote a policy and say it's because you're putting health services and safety first, then ensure it cannot be enforced so it breaks down.  Test capacity planning was ignored in the preference to remove all restrictions and encourage spread of the disease, which is what NSW did and it's slammed both themselves and ACT.....despite the infection figures that were freely already available from overseas.  Are we meant to assume that they cannot read and interpret data, despite the health data to the contrary? 

No, it was pure politics from a new leader anxious to make a political point, then to reverse ferret in 8 days and had already lost all control of the situation, that really takes some expertise to accomplish between 16th December and January 4th !    

They have got their predictions totally wrong on the rate of spread, where they had begrudgingly warned of 25,000 cases by the end of January, and they've hit it a month early.  They even had that sop Coatsworth saying that 25,000 cases per day would never happen and that was only 2 weeks ago.  That's the Coatsworth who was released from his job a few weeks before Xmas and seems to have become a media pin-up guy rather than a serious Doctor. 

Who is to blame...who cares, it'll get lost in the long grass, we are where we are, nobody's fault. That'll be the answer to those worst affected.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-04/nsw-records-highest-hospitalisation-and-covid-cases/100736056

As testing sites continue to be overwhelmed, one of the country's largest pathology companies is shutting down most of its 29 testing clinics across Sydney, until further notice.

Australian Clinical Labs has been operating both drive-through and walk-in testing sites.

"These closures have been necessary due to the significant increase in testing volumes across the state," the company said.

20 hours ago, Peach said:

But not by much and was time sensitive.  Whereas it is a 100% true to say the LNP is happy to let the poor folk (who won't vote for them anyway) die. 😉. Free money for car parks and gun clubs all round 🙂

I suppose one could equally - and just as stupidly - say that the ALP is happy to let poor folk die, given that two-thirds of Australia's COVID deaths have occurred in one, ALP, state.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DIG85 said:

I suppose one could equally - and just as stupidly - say that the ALP is happy to let poor folk die, given that two-thirds of Australia's COVID deaths have occurred in one, ALP, state.

Although it's only fair to point out that most of those deaths occurred in aged care homes run by the Federal government and the Victorian government staff were not even allowed to enter those homes to help.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Although it's only fair to point out that most of those deaths occurred in aged care homes run by the Federal government 

Ah yes, the federal government was supposed to have erected some force field that could magically have stopped the virus at the door of every single aged care home once it had ripped though the rest of the community. If there had been vast numbers of deaths in aged care homes in other states, you may have a point. But funnily enough, the vast majority of aged care home deaths due to COVID occurred in Victoria, which suggests that there was something going wrong in that state more than any other.

There have been COVID outbreaks in aged care homes in almost every country in the world. Which is unsurprising given the majority of their residents are in their 80s and 90s and have generally come there to die with underlying health problems (most residents die within 2 years of entering a care home).

Edited by DIG85