llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

1 hour ago, beketamun said:

It's a terrible problem in the UK, elderly people going to the Doctors for "free" £9.35 prescriptions for stuff readily available over the counter at a cost of about 50p, like aspirins, paracetamol and anti-inflammatories.

Unusual to find GPs prescribing aspirin or paracetamol…..

• Like 1

The NHS is one of the best funded, bloated cash cows ever. Too many snouts in the trough.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

I have acknowledged there is an issue right now but have also highlighted many are successfully getting access to them and that our local council puts a daily list up of many places across the local area where you can pick them up. Are you suggesting I am lying?

Read my post again. I am suggesting that the claim that one can walk into “any” chemist in the UK and pick up a RAT free of charge, as claimed by the twitter account that was retweeted by the supposedly serious economist Richard Denniss, is cobblers. 

13 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

The BIL used to get them wife reckoned there was 5 years supply in the cupboards when he passed away ( uk) 

54 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

The BIL used to get them wife reckoned there was 5 years supply in the cupboards when he passed away ( uk) 

Past expiry date and would all need to get thrown out.

• Like 1

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DIG85 said:

Read my post again. I am suggesting that the claim that one can walk into “any” chemist in the UK and pick up a RAT free of charge, as claimed by the twitter account that was retweeted by the supposedly serious economist Richard Denniss, is cobblers. 

It depends when it was on Twitter.  If it was many weeks ago then it would have been true.  In the last few last weeks not so much.  It has been a bit hit and miss recently for sure. 

It seems the issue is getting worse.  I’ve just gone onto the government website to see if it would let me order some and it comes up with a message saying unable to order any at this time. 

Edited by Tulip1

1 hour ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Prescribing guidelines changed a few years ago and prescribers are told not to prescribe over the counter medication because it costs the nhs so much more than the individual would pay buying it themselves. There is a caveat for those with long term conditions that might require ongoing, regular painkillers for example and the prescriber has the discretion to prescribe in that instance, also if it is a child and the prescriber feels that the parent/carer won’t or can’t buy the meds, a prescription can be written but we have to justify the decision and it is audited.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Missing the point , the cost to NHS is the point , when you could buy them for less than a pound but through a prescription a lot more , yes all returned to be destroyed, what a waste. 

5 hours ago, DIG85 said:

Up until about a week and a half ago, you could get them in loads of places free of charge, chemist's, supermarkets, corner shop, online....

There has been a shortage, presumably driven by the astronomical level of testing being done here at the moment. The shortage seems to be rectified now, I got some from the chemist's on Friday. Free of course.

There's lot of 'cobblers' going on at the moment but not what you're claiming there.

Actually, what is cobblers is the idea that a GP would issue a prescription for paracetamol or aspirin. Or anything that they know can be bought cheaper over the counter. Just doesn't happen.

4 hours ago, Parley said:

Once medication has left the pharmacy into the patient’s possession it all gets destroyed if it is returned, out of date or not. Cannot reuse so to speak as no idea how it has been stored or if it has been interfered with. It’s quite expensive appropriately destroying meds. No flushing down the toilet/sink!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s713 said:

Actually, what is cobblers is the idea that a GP would issue a prescription for paracetamol or aspirin. Or anything that they know can be bought cheaper over the counter. Just doesn't happen.

Stay on topic.

1 hour ago, s713 said:

It does happen, in exceptional circumstances.  That is for definite but it is unusual.  

• Like 1

Maybe Scomo will let the poor take money from their super to pay for RATs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Prescribing guidelines changed a few years ago and prescribers are told not to prescribe over the counter medication because it costs the nhs so much more than the individual would pay buying it themselves. There is a caveat for those with long term conditions that might require ongoing, regular painkillers for example and the prescriber has the discretion to prescribe in that instance, also if it is a child and the prescriber feels that the parent/carer won’t or can’t buy the meds, a prescription can be written but we have to justify the decision and it is audited.

You're quite right, guidelines seem to have changed in late 2017 and CCG's started getting tough on GP's in early 2020 when they were still issuing millions of £'s worth of paracetamol prescriptions as standard practice, without using discretion for special cases only.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2017/11/prescription-curbs-to-free-up-hundreds-of-millions-of-pounds-for-frontline-care/

14 hours ago, newjez said:

I should start mail ordering them to Australia, I'd make a fortune. We've got heaps of them.

It's no different to what Government's are doing and no different to what happened with early PPE supplies...you buy and sell in a market depending on who needs them the most at that current time.

If you remember, there was discourse at PPE being transferred from Australia back to China in Jan 2020, then later on Chinese airlines flying in jumbo jets full of PPE in April 2020 when Australia was hit.    And of course, the USA hijacked a plane at Singapore that was destined for Germany, and diverted it to America because it had been manufactured by an American company (3M) based in China and the USA Government trampled all over their contract to divert it all to America.  Then Donald Trump made USA States compete with each other and sold to the highest auction bidders from the USA Government stock at astronomical prices, forcing some USA states to go it alone and compete in the open market themselves.. 

Australian standards are the same as UK standards for LFT's, most of them come from China....so Australia, the UK and everybody else are probably competing for finite stock where demand has surged...so prices will rise. 

Interesting that the UK has only one LFT supplier but quite a few that have failed to meet UK standards, so they are now selling them abroad and cannot sell them in the UK where they were made!  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10362195/British-lateral-flow-tests-BANNED-UK-despite-cleared-use-EU.html

5 hours ago, s713 said:

Might not now but it was happening a couple of years back. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, simmo said:

Rubbish

thanks for that insight, which adds no value.  I'm beginning to see a pattern. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, simmo said:

The NHS is one of the best funded, bloated cash cows ever. Too many snouts in the trough.

thanks for that insight, which is backed by no information and adds no value.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

We have gone from outbreak to epidemic then to pandemic, and most likely to Endemic.

The Conversation (see link below) discusses the likely transition to Endemic and what that means for Australia. 

https://theconversation.com/covid-will-likely-shift-from-pandemic-to-endemic-but-what-does-that-mean-167782

that was written in September, aren't we nearly there already ?  Rules are being dropped as fast as possible and things are not going back to the way they were.

I got a Xmas call from an ex-colleague a few weeks ago, works for Federal Health.  We were going to meet up for a drink in a club, and she said "I've moved to the Goldie so can't make it" .  When i asked if she'd retired, she said no.  The Department had made a committment that when the pandemic is over, staff will be only required to attend the office once per week, and they didn't care which office because everyone is working online.   So she moved from NSW just over the ACT border to Gold Coast, and at some point in the future she'll have to get up early and go into Brisbane once per week.  She said her team had moved all over the place..there were 3 in QLD, some in VIC, some stayed in NSW/ACT, one in WA.   I've asked her to look out for a suitable job for me, then i could work from any state, get a house on the co

A few weeks ago we were on the Far South Coast, the guy we rented our AirBnB off said there were about 10,000 extra people in the Bega/Tathra/Merimbula/Eden this year, rentals are being sold and turned back into owner/occupiers....that in turn has driven tradies to move in, shops to open, supermarkets to expand....now people are worried if the schools are big enough, do they have enough public transport etc

What Covid has done is accelerate what was probably going to happen anyway due to technology, but cut the legs from under the way we used to live and leaves a lot of further change to happen in our cities, CBD's, and economic zones...and the value they currently hold. What are they going to do about leases, and inner city economies if neither business nor resource want to be there?  What's the point in paying top dollar for a restaurant lease if you have no clients....it will all need to rely  on tourism and a smaller permanent residence base?   It's truly seismic social and economic change, makes the Industrial Revolution look like a tea party.  A lot of things will just be abolished and consigned to history, and new values will be given to how we live.

Edited by beketamun

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, s713 said:

Up until about a week and a half ago, you could get them in loads of places free of charge, chemist's, supermarkets, corner shop, online....

There has been a shortage, presumably driven by the astronomical level of testing being done here at the moment. The shortage seems to be rectified now, I got some from the chemist's on Friday. Free of course.

There's lot of 'cobblers' going on at the moment but not what you're claiming there.

The twitter troll’s claim that one could go into “any chemist” in the UK and get a RAT free of charge was wrong.

A free commodity is always going to run out as people load up on quantities they will never use. It is not sensible to give RATs away free of charge.

Edited by DIG85

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, DIG85 said:

The twitter troll’s claim that one could go into “any chemist” in the UK and get a RAT free of charge was wrong.

A free commodity is always going to run out as people load up on quantities they will never use. It is not sensible to give RATs away free of charge.

But not by much and was time sensitive.  Whereas it is a 100% true to say the LNP is happy to let the poor folk (who won't vote for them anyway) die. 😉. Free money for car parks and gun clubs all round 🙂

Edited by Peach
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Peach said:

But not by much and was time sensitive.  Whereas it is a 100% true to say the LNP is happy to let the poor folk (who won't vote for them anyway) die. 😉. Free money for car parks and gun clubs all round 🙂

Lets not be a drama queen.

Have a look at the death statistics for Australia, UK and Germany and let your twitter friend know too.

Edited by Parley

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.