llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

On 13/12/2021 at 09:53, Parley said:

Seems very quick to get another jab after only 3 months. I will probably get mine at 6 months.

Where will it end? If you get your 3rd jab after 3 months, you might want a 4th jab in another 3 months.

So another maybe half hour out of your life. Well worth doing if it stops you getting really sick.

I had a couple of chats with my Sister in the UK. She was talking about Boris and his supposed cover up of the Christmas party at no10 last year. Then she went on to say how she had got together with my nieces and their kids over Christmas. She knew she shouldn't but did it anyway. They didn't have many cases in their area. A few months later, before vaccines, my niece caught it, she's a teacher and thought probably from kids at school. She was very sick, got sent home from work a few times after she thought she'd recovered, no energy, 3 kids herself. My sister goes to see her and quite often she's asleep on the couch. She's jabbed now but long covid.

My sis mentioned my nieces hubby wasn't well and had a couple of days in bed, they put it down to flu. My Sister didn't sound very well but she was putting it down to a cold as the weathers crap. 

We got a message from her a couple of days later that nieces hubby had a positive covid test, she was still feeling rough but had gone to the gym Christmas party with the rest of the family, bar the nieces hubby. The 2 guys who run the gym are unvaxxed as they think they are fit enough to fight it off and take vitamin C.

We're waiting for the next installment.🤭

Edited by Paul1Perth
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

New data from England shows that 99% of the 8 million who have tested positive for Covid have never tested positive again 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1039639/Weekly_Flu_and_COVID-19_report_w49.pdf

2F0894FB-B81D-4D1D-BE9A-DC7CC4D65CB0.png

Probably because they won't have the test because they don't want the bad news. Even if they felt ill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Probably because they won't have the test because they don't want the bad news. Even if they felt ill.

Yes. I doubt whether people who are fully vaccinated bother to get tested when they have symptoms.

• Like 2

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Yes. I doubt whether people who are fully vaccinated bother to get tested when they have symptoms.

I think it's probably the other way around.

• Like 2

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

2 hours ago, Parley said:

All 50M of them? Some assumption that. But, I'm sure you know someone who knows someone....

3 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

New data from England shows that 99% of the 8 million who have tested positive for Covid have never tested positive again 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1039639/Weekly_Flu_and_COVID-19_report_w49.pdf

Interesting, does that include the omicron variant?  Just been on Sky News that the UK is probably on 200,000 cases per day at the moment, doubling every 3 days.  And they are repeating the same crap as last year, saying they are trying to "save Christmas".  Which they did last year, and then 70,000 people died in the wave that it spread.

• Like 3

Just reading news today, 

nsw could get 25k a day in January, talk about project fear . 

Brace yourself for more lockdowns , wonder what this will do to mental health of people. 

• Like 2

On 14/12/2021 at 06:07, Parley said:

I think most would.  I got pinged last week and immediately booked a PCR test for the following morning.  Thankfully negative.  My friend is quite unwell at the moment and has been for two weeks.  She has every Covid symptom you could imagine but it’s not Covid.  She’s finally seen a doctor and has a bad chest infection and sinusitis  She has done a lateral flow test every day and has had 3 PCR tests as well just to make sure.  People that have Covid symptoms and don’t bother getting tested are selfish and uncaring.  Most people aren't like that and wouldn’t ignore the possibility they may have it.  I’ve no doubt some do but I hope it would be a low percentage. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Just reading news today, 

nsw could get 25k a day in January, talk about project fear . 

Brace yourself for more lockdowns , wonder what this will do to mental health of people. 

How it is today is the best it's going to be.  NSW current vaccination rate is 93.2%, there has been ample time and sacrifices made to prep for this.  Many people are no longer bothering to get tested and there will be many thousands of positive cases per day, next week.

Even with this knowledge, restrictions have been lifted today in SA and ACT.  There is no going back.  No more full lockdowns, just common sense, distancing, no scaremongering, and get on with it.  We are in the middle of summer, health services are well prepared with forecasts, and levers to pull if it looks like getting bad.

If you need support for your mental health, these are some good links, or try your GP for personalised support applicable to your own circumstances.  Medicare allows you a free mental health plan with a number of counselling sessions.

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/mentalhealth/services/Pages/programs-older-people.aspx

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I think most would.  I got pinged last week and immediately booked a PCR test for the following morning.  Thankfully negative.  My friend is quite unwell at the moment and has been for two weeks.  She has every Covid symptom you could imagine but it’s not Covid.  She’s finally seen a doctor and has a bad chest infection and sinusitis  She has done a lateral flow test every day and has had 3 PCR tests as well just to make sure.  People that have Covid symptoms and don’t bother getting tested are selfish and uncaring.  Most people aren't like that and wouldn’t ignore the possibility they may have it.  I’ve no doubt some do but I hope it would be a low percentage. 

Do those PCR tests work?

Here they are advertised on radio and it closes with the disclaimer that a negative result does not necessarily mean an absence of Covid.

Doesn't really fill you with confidence.

11 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I think most would.  I got pinged last week and immediately booked a PCR test for the following morning.   

If the UK current rate is around 60,000 per day but they estimate around 200,000 actual cases, potentially rising to half a million a day, many people are not getting tested.  Many may not show any symptoms to know they need testing, but I was having a conversation this morning with somebody who said people are just accepting it if they fall ill, but most people they know "think they've had it" . Go figure?  They are all vaccinated but perhaps not as socially conscious as you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Parley said:

Do those PCR tests work?

Here they are advertised on radio and it closes with the disclaimer that a negative result does not necessarily mean an absence of Covid.

PCR tests are very accurate.  It's the LF tests that you can do yourself that are less accurate, but they can be used as a risk-based tool to help you decide if you should be around other people or not. If you get a positive LF result you then you go for the more expensive PCR to confirm.   LF's are free in the UK, but they have run out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Do those PCR tests work?

PCR tests are the best ones and excellent. The lateral flow tests are just the ones you can do at home.  They can give a negative result in the early days of Covid.  I guess like a pregnancy test can be negative if taken too early when there isn’t enough hormone to pick up.  The flow tests play a good part though I think.  Key workers are asked to do them regularly although it’s an ask not a must.  The company I work for are big on reminding us of this and the need to do one twice a week (regardless of no symptoms as many people don’t have symptoms).  Indeed several people from other offices have had a surprise positive flow test at home which they followed up with a PCR that confirmed Covid.  Just think of all the people that avoided contact with those Covid cases who would have gone about their business spreading it without knowing had they not have taken the flow test.  

Edited by Tulip1

43 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

PCR tests are the best ones and excellent. The lateral flow tests are just the ones you can do at home.  They can give a negative result in the early days of Covid.  I guess like a pregnancy test can be negative if taken too early when there isn’t enough hormone to pick up.  The flow tests play a good part though I think.  Key workers are asked to do them regularly although it’s an ask not a must.  The company I work for are big on reminding us of this and the need to do one twice a week (regardless of no symptoms as many people don’t have symptoms).  Indeed several people from other offices have had a surprise positive flow test at home which they followed up with a PCR that confirmed Covid.  Just think of all the people that avoided contact with those Covid cases who would have gone about their business spreading it without knowing had they not have taken the flow test.  

The ones I'm referring to I think are called Rapid Antigen Tests

Yes you can buy them in the chemist, a pack of 2 for about $12 each I think.

https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/114086/rightsign-covid-19-antigen-test-(nasal-swab)-self-test-2-pack-(not-for-sale-in-wa-sa)

Edited by Parley

54 minutes ago, Parley said:

The ones I'm referring to I think are called Rapid Antigen Tests

Yes you can buy them in the chemist, a pack of 2 for about $12 each I think.

https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/114086/rightsign-covid-19-antigen-test-(nasal-swab)-self-test-2-pack-(not-for-sale-in-wa-sa)

That’s the same as the lateral flow tests.  They are free here and given out all over the place.  Our local Sainsbury’s often has a staff member stood outside giving them out.  I get them free from work, I have boxes of the things.  Just looked at one of my boxes and it does actually say rapid antigen test on it.  

• Like 1

Good analogy from my TikTok feed.

Covid-19 is like your wife. Initially you try to control it. After a while you realise you can't and in the end you just have to learn to live with it.

• Haha 4

Very moving interview on the BBC news tonight with an ICU nurse in London who pointed out that out of the 11 patients in ICU, 9 are unvaccinated.  She said the staff are finding it difficult to be sympathetic towards those patients.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Very moving interview on the BBC news tonight with an ICU nurse in London who pointed out that out of the 11 patients in ICU, 9 are unvaccinated.  She said the staff are finding it difficult to be sympathetic towards those patients.

I don’t think anyone has much sympathy for the unvaccinated.  I don’t really care what people decide but you make a choice and you have to live with it.  If an unvaccinated person gets very ill then it’s a risk they alone took and it’s back fired.  I don’t wish anyone dead but little sympathy for someone who’s massively increased their chances of serious illness/dying out of choice. 

• Like 2

Just a few days after opening the borders, QLD is bringing some restrictions back. As of tomorrow you are advised to again wear face masks when shopping, on public transport etc. 

https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/health-alerts/coronavirus-covid-19/current-status/public-health-directions/mandatory-masks

From 1am AEST Saturday 18 December, face masks will be required in Queensland when you are:

• at indoor shopping centres and retail centres
  • visiting hospitals, disability accommodation services and residential aged care facilities
  • on public transport
  • on taxis and ride shares
  • at an airport or on a plane.

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

14 hours ago, simmo said:

I think Xmas is cancelled.

Screenshot_20211217-055625_Chrome.jpg

93,045 new cases in the U.K.  I know where I’d rather be…

9 hours ago, calNgary said:

Just a few days after opening the borders, QLD is bringing some restrictions back. As of tomorrow you are advised to again wear face masks when shopping, on public transport etc. 

https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/health-alerts/coronavirus-covid-19/current-status/public-health-directions/mandatory-masks

From 1am AEST Saturday 18 December, face masks will be required in Queensland when you are:

• at indoor shopping centres and retail centres
  • visiting hospitals, disability accommodation services and residential aged care facilities
  • on public transport
  • on taxis and ride shares
  • at an airport or on a plane.

I was in Sydney CBD and a shopping centre in the inner  west yesterday and surprised by the volume of people masked. I’d say it was 90%.  In the U.K. when mask mandates were removed it was certainly lower than that. 

Another notable difference is the volume of people masked outdoors.  Almost never see that in the U.K.  

also a massive upswing in testing.   We went to get our day 1 test a week ago and waited for 3 minutes for our turn.   6 days later there we arrived at 19:30 and were told there was was a 3 hour wait and they closed in 30 minutes, so we returned at 06:45 the next morning, 15 minutes before opening to join a queue that took an hour to get to the front.   There were 4 test bays and our car of 4 people took maybe 5 mins to process   

In my personal opinion from my observations, Aussies are far more concerned about Covid right now than Brits. I have no idea why. 

• Like 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

1 hour ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

In my personal opinion from my observations, Aussies are far more concerned about Covid right now than Brits. I have no idea why. 

Because this is all new to us.  Most states have had two years of pretty normal life with no Covid.  Even NSW and Victoria, outside the capitals, haven't experienced much Covid.   I think the Brits have become inured to high death rates, whereas we still regard every death as an avoidable tragedy.  

• Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I think I will stop checking in to shops.

Having listened to the person who is visiting Queensland and bought a takeaway coffee and is faced with being carted off to Hotel Quarantine and missing Christmas, it is not worth it.

https://www.3aw.com.au/its-a-disgrace-victorians-warned-against-going-to-queensland-after-woman-is-blindsided-by-covid-19-rules/

• Like 1