llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Skani said:

Was their daughter older?   I'm just wondering if they chose her to stay for schooling in Australia?

Possibly, I really can’t remember, definitely young though,  as at the time I thought one child here one child not, why? 

Edited by ramot

15 hours ago, newjez said:

Seriously?

Maybe you guys perspective is different from ours in the UK. But we saw a very bad virus. Now we see a much reduced virus. Soon we will see very little virus.

Vaccination is wonderful at reducing the threat. 

The change in the UK has been extraordinary.

The R number is back to 1.2ish in the UK and they are talking about postponing the free up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parley said:

I'll have to take your word for it.

I would be very surprised if the government would stop children from reuniting with their parents. No government would want that publicity.

Do you have any links which show an example of this really happening?

You can start with this one from yesterday. There were several articles about it when the first Repat flight from India was announced.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-03/dfat-official-asked-about-india-repatriation-flights/100184268

......But tickets for the repatriation flights are not available to anyone under 18 years old unless they are accompanied by a nominated guardian, who will take 'full responsibility' for the child during flight and quarantine in Australia........Mr Dhanraj was offered a seat for his son on a recent Qantas repatriation flight but was unable to book the ticket because he was unable to secure a travel exemption from Australian authorities for his mother, who's an Indian national, so she could accompany the child.........

15 hours ago, newjez said:

With a vaccinated population, is covid any worse than flu?

I think some perspective is needed.

Nobody knows right now, but thanks to the US and the UK we will find out by 2022 🤣

2 hours ago, Nemesis said:

The government will not allow them on the Repatriation flights without an accompanying adult (not crew) and at present those are the only flights coming in from India. They will not allow their non-Australian relatives to accompany them, and will not allow the parents out of Australia to collect them, Most of the children were just visiting relatives, its quite common for them to be taken to stay with relatives while their parents return to Australia and keep working. Then the borders closed and they are stranded.

One recent article - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-03/dfat-official-asked-about-india-repatriation-flights/100184268

Pity but just bad luck. I remember posting a few weeks ago when India were having one of their crazy religious ceremonies. Thousands of them getting together, bathing in the Ganges, going to religious sites, no masks, no social distancing.

Anyone with an ounce of sense knew that it would lead to a disaster. Now hardly anyone mentions the reason and the rest of the world is expected to feel sorry for them and donate millions to get the vaccine there.

There seems to be an awful lot of Australian citizens coming out of the woodwork that were fine in India until covid. Now they want to blame the Aussie government for not bringing them back.

It's about time people took responsibility for their own actions.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ramot said:

Doesn’t explain the couple I saw as they had their daughter here ....

I wasn't talking about that couple specifically, I didn't see that article

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

4 hours ago, Parley said:

Why can't the child fly unaccompanied ? It used to happen quite a lot. The hostess would look after the child on the plane.

@Parley, that's the problem.   Normally they would fly unaccompanied but they've stopped that during Covid, you've got to be over 18. No idea why, I'm guessing maybe they don't want a child having to do the quarantine by themselves?  But then why couldn't a parent come and join them in quarantine?  It doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 hour ago, ramot said:

What also has occurred to me is the quarantine of 14 days for an unaccompanied minor? Can’t quarantine at home, can’t be left on their own in quarantine, so this might also be why they aren’t allowed to fly?

They can fly if an adult nominates  as a guardian for the flight.  Apparently 5 have returned that way in the last 3 repatriation flights from India.  But I don't know how they manage quarantine.   Maybe they have to be prepared to be guardian during quarantine as well?  Or, as they are all quarantined at Howard Springs, maybe there are special supervisors for unaccompanied children there?

11 minutes ago, Skani said:

They can fly if an adult nominates  as a guardian for the flight.  Apparently 5 have returned that way in the last 3 repatriation flights from India.  But I don't know how they manage quarantine.   Maybe they have to be prepared to be guardian during quarantine as well?  Or, as they are all quarantined at Howard Springs, maybe there are special supervisors for unaccompanied children there?

Yes, but the adult must also be eligible to fly. That's the problem for most of these families, who don't have a citizen or PR holder in India who could fly home with them.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

There seems to be an awful lot of Australian citizens coming out of the woodwork

That is true.  You may recall that after the borders were closed, there were reports of between 24,000 and 30,000 Australians "stranded overseas".   

Since then, over 140,000 travelers have arrived on flights from overseas. Yet we are still being told Australians are stranded overseas, and the number has ballooned to over 40,000.  Some reports even put it at over 100,000.  Clearly, something does not add up!

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, but the adult must also be eligible to fly. That's the problem for most of these families, who don't have a citizen or PR holder in India who could fly home with them.

Of course - that's why so few have managed to return to Australia and there are still over 200 waiting in India.

47 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

. Yet we are still being told Australians are stranded overseas, and the number has ballooned to over 40,000.  

I suspect many people thought it would all blow over in a couple of months and "normal" would resume fairly quickly.  That obviously hasn't happened, particularly in countries like India where risk to health and life is very high at the moment.   

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

The R number is back to 1.2ish in the UK and they are talking about postponing the free up.

Covid is here forever Paul. We are going to have to learn to live with it. There will be good covid years and bad covid years.

It Australia going to be cut off forever? 

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Pity but just bad luck. I remember posting a few weeks ago when India were having one of their crazy religious ceremonies. Thousands of them getting together, bathing in the Ganges, going to religious sites, no masks, no social distancing.

Anyone with an ounce of sense knew that it would lead to a disaster. Now hardly anyone mentions the reason and the rest of the world is expected to feel sorry for them and donate millions to get the vaccine there.

There seems to be an awful lot of Australian citizens coming out of the woodwork that were fine in India until covid. Now they want to blame the Aussie government for not bringing them back.

It's about time people took responsibility for their own actions.

A lot of people in the UK died during that crazy religious festival called Christmas.

• Like 2

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I wasn't talking about that couple specifically, I didn't see that article

I realise that Marisa, they were a couple being interviewed on tv, well into their  thirties,? a while ago, and I just thought it strange to only have one child here with them. It would appear from other posts that it is common practice? to leave or send a child to live or visit relatives ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ramot said:

I realise that Marisa, they were a couple being interviewed on tv, well into their  thirties,? a while ago, and I just thought it strange to only have one child here with them. It would appear from other posts that it is common practice? to leave or send a child to live or visit relatives ?

From what I have learned its part of their culture. If the families were still living at home in India then the children would grow up surrounded daily by their relatives. Because they are now living in Australia, away from the extended family, its very common to send young children to live with the extended family so that the family ties and connections remain strong. 

Like everyone else the parents would have assumed COVID would be short lived, so left the kids with the family, only to find as time goes on, that it was a mistake.

If someone does say they will become a temporary guardian for a child, in order to get that child back to Australia, then they are responsible for going into quarantine with the child, as the child cannot quarantine alone. I really take my hat off to the people who have volunteered to do this. Quarantine with your own small child would be bad, with a stranger, I can't even imagine.......... 

• Like 1

On 05/06/2021 at 12:46, newjez said:

A lot of people in the UK died during that crazy religious festival called Christmas.

I know.

Clearly Annastacia Palaszczuk does not trust the AstraZeneca vaccine.

I want it all, and I want it now.

See that Aus gave about 1.8 million AZ vaccine doses to PNG and hardly anyone will take them. They also got some from the WHO. 

There's a rumour going round PNG that Bill Gates wats to teduce the worlds population and create a new world order.😆

• Haha 1

If AstraZeneca is so ineffective how has the UK death toll reduced so dramatically ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

If AstraZeneca is so ineffective how has the UK death toll reduced so dramatically ?

It's a bit like finding out that WHO have been telling the truth 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Parley said:

Her comms team stated that she got Pfizer because of the shorter time between doses to allow her to travel to Tokyo as part of the Qld olympics bid, if she ‘needs’ to. I’m not convinced she ‘needs’ to be there to support the bid, but it’s a reasonable explanation they’ve given.

She waited her turn in line, then when it came she was given Pfizer due to possible duties/responsibilities as premier. I might not agree with it but it’s also understandable.

• Like 1

:evilface_frowning_s

8 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Her comms team stated that she got Pfizer because of the shorter time between doses to allow her to travel to Tokyo as part of the Qld olympics bid, if she ‘needs’ to. I’m not convinced she ‘needs’ to be there to support the bid, but it’s a reasonable explanation they’ve given.

She waited her turn in line, then when it came she was given Pfizer due to possible duties/responsibilities as premier. I might not agree with it but it’s also understandable.

She could have got AZ a month ago but chose to get the flu shot first. Come on read between the lines not the spin.

• Like 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

15 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

There's a rumour going round PNG that Bill Gates wats to teduce the worlds population and create a new world order.😆

Don't need to laugh about PNG.  There are plenty of conspiracy theorists in Oz believing the same.  🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Parley said:

Apparently she’s come out with a fair few excuses why she didn’t get the AZ vaccine, she has stated that the Pfizer was quicker enabling her to go to Tokyo games , 

Thought the games were behind closed doors 🤷‍♂️