llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

18 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Every phone conversation I have with my daughter in WA, she is still not vaccinated. 

Why not?

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Just now, Parley said:

Why not?

Her husband is a doctor and she has been waiting for Moderna, which I understand is now freely available in WA. We continue to convince her to get vaccinated.

• Sad 1

On 09/12/2021 at 01:30, MacGyver said:

My reading of it is two shots of Pfizer are less effective against omicron infection, but still effective against severe disease and death from omicron. A third Pfizer seems to address this infection protection somewhat. Off to research moderna now!

get your boosters everyone, especially if you're in the UK or going to Europe.

• Like 1

Another one.  They should stop his salary for the period he's unable to show up for work.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59599689

Bayern Munich utility man Joshua Kimmich has been ruled out until the New Year after suffering a lung problem as a result of Covid-19.

Kimmich, 26, who admitted he had not been vaccinated against the virus in October, tested positive last month. //

Kimmich said he is now "fine" but added he is not yet allowed to push his body to the limit "due to slight infiltration" on his lungs.

"I'm dying to get started and to be with the team," Kimmich said on Instagram.

Kimmich previously suggested scepticism stopped him getting jabbed, but added that there was a "very good chance" he would in the future.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Every phone conversation I have with my daughter in WA, she is still not vaccinated. 

Why?

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

Why?

She is "getting around to it, ...........too busy .........lots going on at home............... all the kids play sport over the weekends......... she works, husband works etc etc". 

I'll keep at it.

• Haha 1

because we have not had major problems with Covid in WA … no long lockdowns etc people don’t feel the urgency to get vaccinated  …

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

She is "getting around to it, ...........too busy .........lots going on at home............... all the kids play sport over the weekends......... she works, husband works etc etc". 

I'll keep at it.

There’s a 27 year old Scottish women who’s story is exactly like that.  Her dad said she was too busy with home and sorting the kids out, what with their many clubs and social things.  Sadly she won’t be busy doing that anymore because she caught covid and died of it.  That was only a few weeks ago.  Her dad was heartbroken and begging people to get the vaccine.  She left behind three young kids. No one should be too busy to get themselves protected, it’s just an excuse.  Better the kids miss one sport session if that was the only time available than miss the rest of their life without a mum. 

Check out the story -

Young Scots mum dies of complications after Covid battle

Ruth McCamon was admitted to an Intensive Care Unit at Kilmarnock's Crosshouse Hospital, and placed in an induced coma as medics administered a ventilator to help her breathe.

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Bottie said:

because we have not had major problems with Covid in WA … no long lockdowns etc people don’t feel the urgency to get vaccinated  …

That is certainly a part of the reluctance.

14 hours ago, Bottie said:

Same here in Tassie - long time since we had a lockdown and never had to wear a mask but there has also been a high vaccination rate overall here.  The border opens on the 15th so best to be prepared.  Also a large number of people want to travel to the mainland so feel safer to be vaccinated.

On 10/12/2021 at 04:15, Robert Dyson said:

Another one.  They should stop his salary for the period he's unable to show up for work.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59599689

Headline should be. Man gets poorly, recovers! He plays at the pinnacle of the most athletic game on the planet and needs a couple of weeks to get back up to speed! 

Can tell you lot on here are older, you all sound petrified! Global survival rate from cases recorded 98.4%. That's not even singling out certain age groups. Oh and not one recorded death from Omicron. 

Stop spouting fear and look at the facts!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Craig Colas said:

Headline should be. Man gets poorly, recovers! He plays at the pinnacle of the most athletic game on the planet and needs a couple of weeks to get back up to speed! 

Can tell you lot on here are older, you all sound petrified! Global survival rate from cases recorded 98.4%. That's not even singling out certain age groups. Oh and not one recorded death from Omicron. 

That's the second time you've mentioned that.  I am definitely one of the oldies on here and I for one am NOT petrified.  What on earth do you mean we are ALL petrified?   I've always thought Covid is like a very nasty flu.  Most people will recover but like the flu, some with underlying health issues will cark it.

petrified
adjective

1. 1.
    so frightened that one is unable to move; terrified.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bottie said:

People just aren't thinking.    What happens if there is an outbreak in WA, which is bound to happen eventually?    They can race to the clinic and get their first jab, but that won't help - it takes a while for the first jab to take effect, and even then it's not that effective.   You need the second jab, AND then it's not instant either.  For Omicron, you need the third jab as well, which you can't get for months, and it takes a while to take effect too.  So if they wait till Covid arrives, they're going to be unprotected for months.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, is due out August 2022

59 minutes ago, Craig Colas said:

Not scared of dying.  I am concerned about long Covid though and the statistics aren't at all clear about that.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, is due out August 2022

On 09/12/2021 at 12:46, Marisawright said:

I'm in the same boat.    I've been donig a lot of reading and if I'm understanding correctly, our immunity starts to wane 4 months after the second jab, so if you're past that date and can persuade your GP to give you the booster, go for it.

Most of the evidence suggests that we're better off getting Pfizer or Moderna for the booster, not AZ.  Mixing the vaccines seems to offer an edge.  

Yes, I don't understand why the Government decided not to bring forward the timing for booster jabs, especially for us older ones and those in care homes for example.  I am at the four and  a half months stage since my last jab and so am quite worried about Omicron especially now we are opening up and people mingling over Christmas.  I did ask my  GP if I could get it earlier but she said I had to wait 6 months as that was the health guidelines.  I guess I will just have to go into hibernation till the end o January.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig Colas said:

Poorly. What a quaint old english term.

Haven't heard that for decades.

The authorities are worried about Omicron.

The authorities in Australia are announcing the waiting time for a booster will be reduced from 6 months to 5 months after second dose.

And we can choose between Pfizer or Moderna.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Parley said:

Poorly. What a quaint old english term.

Haven't heard that for decades.

Sometime ago I spoke to an Australian lady who was living here with her husband and two kids.  He had a two year work contract here and they rented a house not far from me.  She loved the quaint sayings we have and fed them back to her mum in Oz.  She said the best one ever was when she took her 6 year old to school one morning with a plaster on her knee because she’d fallen over and grazed it.  The teacher pointed to it and said to the little girl -  oh dear, have you got a poorly knee.  She said she had to phone her mum up straight away with that one.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Craig Colas said:

Not old. 
Not petrified. 

Just capable of doing the bare minimum personal research so I’m not easily mislead by media sources that have a vested interest in stoking discord.  

If you tried the same you’d realise that death isn’t the only outcome from Covid and the impact on the population from ICU’s filled with Covid patients.   

Don’t let them stoke your anger to the point you aren’t making the right decisions  for yourself - and others   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

Surely one of the most bizarre and logic defying tenets of the “it’s all nonsense”/“it’s all a government plot for control” squad is the notion that a government and it’s politicians, who have literally no higher priority that getting re-elected, would ever do something that alienates so many of their voter base.  

• Like 4

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

1 hour ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Surely one of the most bizarre and logic defying tenets of the “it’s all nonsense”/“it’s all a government plot for control” squad is the notion that a government and it’s politicians, who have literally no higher priority that getting re-elected, would ever do something that alienates so many of their voter base.  

Yes it makes absolute sense that governments would devastate their economies and spend so much of their reserves just to con us all.

Pandemics are real just we haven’t had one for quite a while.  It isn’t the first and it won’t be the last. Science and technology is much more advanced than in the Black Death and we now have vaccines to protect us. Scientists have been researching these specific vaccines for decades in preparation for such an event. This was not a rush job.

• Like 4

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

4 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Not old. 
Not petrified. 

Just capable of doing the bare minimum personal research so I’m not easily mislead by media sources that have a vested interest in stoking discord.  

If you tried the same you’d realise that death isn’t the only outcome from Covid and the impact on the population from ICU’s filled with Covid patients.   

Don’t let them stoke your anger to the point you aren’t making the right decisions  for yourself - and others   

Everything I said in that post did not come from any media outlet. Just pure fact which you already know yourself seeing as you have done a little personal research. 

Not one point did I speak about conspiracy theories of government control either. So don't label me in that category. 

I stated facts if you can't handle them that's fine just don't twist the statement to suit your agenda. 

I'm sure I'm educated enough and smart enough to make the right decisions for myself but thank you for your concern. 

I joined this forum thinking there might be some useful information to help with my migration. Hardly anything useful at all really. Then got drawn in arguing with you numpties most of the time. Anyway I'm here now living the dream so I'll take my leave. Peace! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1