llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

A great Aussie success is Albert. I think he lives in Sydney anyway or did.

Edited by Parley

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

12 minutes ago, Parley said:

A great Aussie success is Albert. I think he lives in Sydney anyway or did.

Who is Albert?  Tell us more about him.

11 minutes ago, Toots said:

Who is Albert?  Tell us more about him.

I may have mixed him up with one of the other vaccine chiefs. One of them i remember had been living in Sydney and was criticised for it. I can't find any info about it now.

1 hour ago, Peach said:

It's very hard to do comparisons, because all the other death rates are based on "life as usual".    Whereas in many countries, the Covid deaths are based on people in lockdown, socially distancing, wearing masks etc.  The only way we'd get an accurate comparison is if everyone had agreed to do nothing and let it rip.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

posted without comment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59524527

An Italian man who wanted a Covid vaccination certificate without getting the jab turned up for his vaccine with a fake arm, officials say.

The man, in his 50s, arrived for his shot with a silicone mould covering his real arm, hoping it would go unnoticed.

But a nurse was not fooled and the man has now been reported to the police.

The nurse told local media that when she had rolled up his sleeve, she found the skin "rubbery and cold" and the pigment "too light".

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, simmo said:

That's sad.  They declared right at the start that they didn't want to make a profit out of a global tragedy, and were selling their vaccines at cost - obviously they miscalculated.

• Confused 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

44 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That's sad.  They declared right at the start that they didn't want to make a profit out of a global tragedy, and were selling their vaccines at cost - obviously they miscalculated.

It would have worked if it wasn't for the mess up with the contracts, getting embroiled in post-Brexit rows with wanker politicians, and then the overblown concern about clots.  They planned to get the investment back and the company would cash in on the long term with supply contracts.

Good podcast here, you won't meet two more grounded British women who were badly let down by schemers, and perhaps some anxious US competitors.  It would be ironic if AZ ends up being more effective against omicron.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/sarah-gilbert-and-catherine-green/id1454408831?i=1000529029184

• Like 3

2 hours ago, simmo said:

Massive protests in Melbourne again.

I’m not sure that a few thousand out of a population of 5 million counts as massive 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, simmo said:

Massive protests in Melbourne again.

And….? Typically posts have personal opinion, questions or comment in them. If you’re just sharing the news we have TV, radio, internet and newspapers for that so you can take the day off. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

:evilface_frowning_s

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I’m not sure that a few thousand out of a population of 5 million counts as massive 

In terms of protests how does it compare ?

3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

And….? Typically posts have personal opinion, questions or comment in them. If you’re just sharing the news we have TV, radio, internet and newspapers for that so you can take the day off. 

According to my dad, it's very cold and wet in the UK and he's got nothing to do today either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ACT hits 98% vaccination for over 12's, NSW 92.7% for over 16's.

The question is, if this omicron is more infectious or more dangerous, what will the reaction be?  You can't ask more people to get vaccinated if they are already are, so is it just more social restrictions to keep hospitals manageable because there is nothing else that can be done until the next wave of vaccine updates?   It's already in the community in Sydney and Canberra with some people infected who haven't been overseas and have no connection to anybody who has been, so will be spreading fast.

UK bringing in negative pre-departure PCR requirement for arrivals from Tuesday, but then they still haven't broken 70% nationally so have a lot more vulnerable people to try and protect.  I don't think it will make much difference, omicron is probably all over the UK already.   If omicron can become the dominant strain in South Africa within 7 days, the UK has no chance of avoiding it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Dyson said:

ACT hits 98% vaccination for over 12's, NSW 92.7% for over 16's.

The question is, if this omicron is more infectious or more dangerous, what will the reaction be?  You can't ask more people to get vaccinated if they are already are, so is it just more social restrictions to keep hospitals manageable because there is nothing else that can be done until the next wave of vaccine updates?   It's already in the community in Sydney and Canberra with some people infected who haven't been overseas and have no connection to anybody who has been, so will be spreading fast.

UK bringing in negative pre-departure PCR requirement for arrivals from Tuesday, but then they still haven't broken 70% nationally so have a lot more vulnerable people to try and protect.  I don't think it will make much difference, omicron is probably all over the UK already.   If omicron can become the dominant strain in South Africa within 7 days, the UK has no chance of avoiding it.

It is probably good news if it is more infectious as by all accounts it is less dangerous. So for herd immunity it is good to have a low risk version spreading through the community.

As far as we know no one has died from Omicron.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Parley said:

it is more infectious as by all accounts it is less dangerous

Be great if it was !  Hopefully by next week we will have more information from analysis, currently it's just hearsay and very unscientific, hence Government's hedging their bets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Erm, so does this forum have any resources, threads or guides to travelling back to the UK for Christmas?
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59534685

Feels like a minefield to navigate through the different requirements.

Does anyone have good recommendations for a cheap and reliable PCR test that can be booked in Sydney?
TIA

• Like 1

On 04/12/2021 at 01:07, simmo said:

wow!!  I thought this was debunked as a hoax.

Inside Australia’s Covid internment camp

Freddie Sayers spoke to Hayley Hodgson, who has returned from a 14-day detention

Thousands of people have had to "do time" at Howard Springs".  What a drama queen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Frukoz said:

Erm, so does this forum have any resources, threads or guides to travelling back to the UK for Christmas?
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59534685

Feels like a minefield to navigate through the different requirements.

Does anyone have good recommendations for a cheap and reliable PCR test that can be booked in Sydney?
TIA

Unfortunately it is a minefield, and I doubt it's going to get much better.   Governments are issuing changes at the drop of a hat, so I would make sure you book refundable fares and have a contingency plan in case Australian borders close again and you can't get back.

Here's the list of clinics that do tests for travel clearance purposes. It's not a long list, and they're all government approved so any one of them will do:

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Pages/testing-locations.aspx

On 04/12/2021 at 01:07, simmo said:

wow!!  I thought this was debunked as a hoax.

Inside Australia’s Covid internment camp

Freddie Sayers spoke to Hayley Hodgson, who has returned from a 14-day detention

What a diva.

They contacted her because she was a close contact and she LIED and claimed she'd had a negative Covid test, but actually she hadn't had a test at all.  She then got taken to Howard Springs quarantine until she got a negative test. 

She says she doesn't understand why she couldn't self-isolate at home.  Well, honey, you lied about having had a negative Covid test, why should they trust you to self-isolate?  

We've had some members here who quarantined in Howard Springs and they didn't seem to think it was awful.

• Like 1