llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

On 24/11/2021 at 21:01, Rossmoyne said:

Rubbish!   So very many were forced/coerced/blackmailed to have the jab or lose their job.   The reason why the numbers of vacinated is so high all throughout Australia is because people had no alternative if they wanted to keep their job and provide for their family.  

Good riddance. Not the rest of the populations fault if a minority choose ignorance and fear over protection. Just hope they don't cop it when covid lands. They had a choice. They chose cutting their nose off to prove a point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 25/11/2021 at 03:52, Robert Dyson said:

only in jobs where they come into contact with large numbers of people, or vulnerable people.  You don't need the vaccine if you're self-employed and not contracting to an organisation, work as a gardener, road sweeper, web designer, home worker...there are millions upon millions of jobs where you are not mandated to be vaccinated. 

So that doesn't explain why the vaccination figures are going to well over 95% in most states.   More likely, there is always a proportion of society who will whinge about anything and try to do the opposite to what is good for them, just because they can.

Well said. This coercion forced vaccine mantra is nonsense. A convenient narrative for them though. 

• Like 2

Tasmania has been very lucky to escape  Covid infections and lockdowns.  At the very beginning there was an outbreak (folk returning from a cruise ship) in a local hospital.  I was talking to a nurse who has had to work part time now due to suffering from long Covid.  She actually had pretty mild Covid symptoms when she tested positive but now she has joint pain, breathlessness, always tired and no energy.  She feels far worse now than she did when she had Covid.  

I'm due for my booster at the beginning of January.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

Tasmania has been very lucky to escape  Covid infections and lockdowns.  At the very beginning there was an outbreak (folk returning from a cruise ship) in a local hospital.  I was talking to a nurse who has had to work part time now due to suffering from long Covid.  She actually had pretty mild Covid symptoms when she tested positive but now she has joint pain, breathlessness, always tired and no energy.  She feels far worse now than she did when she had Covid.  

I'm due for my booster at the beginning of January.

This is what concerns me the most. I haven’t researched it for a while now, but a few months ago there was no data to indicate if vaccination prevents long covid, if a vaccinated individual becomes mildly unwell from Covid. If anyone has read otherwise I’d be grateful to be pointed to the data.

:evilface_frowning_s

16 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

This is what concerns me the most. I haven’t researched it for a while now, but a few months ago there was no data to indicate if vaccination prevents long covid, if a vaccinated individual becomes mildly unwell from Covid. If anyone has read otherwise I’d be grateful to be pointed to the data.

Long Covid would be sort of similar to some people who get flu and suffer feeling unwell even when they've recovered from it.  I was reading this article:

But there’s another, lesser known argument for getting the flu shot and for taking other precautions against influenza, as well: The flu isn’t just a health risk for the seven days or so that you’re physically sick with the virus—it can also have some lasting effects that could affect your health for weeks, months, or even permanently.

So it is for that reason I have flu jabs every year and why I also had the Covid jabs.  I would also be interested to know if a jabbed person who contracts mild Covid ends up with long Covid.  Fingers crossed it's not the case.  I've never had flu in my life and can't remember the last time I had a cold.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

New Covid strain of real concern found in Africa.  As of noon tomorrow, six African countries on the UK red list. 

Great response by the UK, finally getting on the front foot and taking early action.

4 hours ago, Robert Dyson said:

Great response by the UK, finally getting on the front foot and taking early action.

Very!   The new variant may prove to be no big deal, this action buys time to evaluate it safely.   

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

Just shows the extreme importance of stopping the spread before mutations occur.  All these places messed up and have stirred the recipe.

3746591f-572c-45ef-81d0-d6f767881764.png.1551bc927b5fe911ce1465f5615f9684.png

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Big protests across the country today about mandatory vaccination. 

https://apple.news/Aw6dkt8zTSFyz2PvDQU2njg

I think in Victoria it's mainly a protest against the new laws in their pandemic bill, which is quite legitimate to protest peacefully and very different from the anti-vaxxers and loonies who infiltrate, even on the very day we have a dangerous new variant caused partly by people just like them.

Meanwhile, the Victorian opposition leader who has jumped on the anti-vax/lockdown wagon is heading a for a massive democratic defeat in the elections, potentially losing many more seats than they have now.  So that 10,000 wasting their Saturday by taking the wrong side of the argument are taking attention away from the legitimate pandemic bill protest because they will all be classed as nutcases, which isn't true.

Maybe the anti-vaxxers should all be sent offshore to a free island with no healthcare where they don't have to worry about anybody except themselves, and let them deal with the new variant to prove it's a hoax to the rest of us.  They're a menace to society....luckily an extremely minute number in Australia and most of them dumb as posts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, simmo said:

I guess they had plenty of data through not controlling it this time so they can do better next.  Lets hope they move onto "individuals" very soon and actually have an independent public enquiry to satisfy the families of the 170,000 individuals who lost their lives during this fiasco.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Robert Dyson said:

Just shows the extreme importance of stopping the spread before mutations occur.  All these places messed up and have stirred the recipe.

3746591f-572c-45ef-81d0-d6f767881764.png.1551bc927b5fe911ce1465f5615f9684.png

The country where it is first documented is not necessarily the same as the country where it originated. More genomic sequencing is undertaken in Wales than in the whole of France. The fact that Kent is the closest English county to the European mainland is significant.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, simmo said:

20211127_064957.jpg

I would think that is a fair assessment, namely "the UK leading the world" on "how to approach measurement of pandemics" Well let's hope so. All such positive contributions are welcomed, worldwide.  Lets keep the dialogue positive and welcome experts rather than politicians.

• Like 2

Great work Boris and team.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

As admirable as the rapid action is, you have to feel for the Aussies who boarded a flight in London thinking they were heading home only to step off the plane in Adelaide and be told they were going into 14 days hotel quarantine.   Poor buggers.  

Mandatory masks back in the U.K. and PCR tests and isolation for all arrivals to the U.K.  

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

8 hours ago, Parley said:

Great work Boris and team.

What the devil are you talking about?

The fantastic work on measurent is that of the ONS - a non ministerial department run by those “unelected bureaucrats” you are always decrying. 

Here is what Dr Michael Ryan (the person who said the U.K. has led the world in measurement) has said about “Boris and team”

A senior World Health Organization official has accused the UK of “moral emptiness and epidemiological stupidity”.

In a series of scathing comments, Dr Mike Ryan, head of the WHO’s emergencies programme, said it was a “dangerous assumption” that high vaccination rates will prevent substantial surges in hospitalisations and deaths, amid increasing case rates across Europe. 

Give credit where it’s actually due. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

African variant mild .

Screenshot_20211128-061214_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211128-061249_Chrome.jpg

Edited by simmo

Another massive demo in Austraia

Edited by simmo

12 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Prepare for international boarders closing again 😔

https://apple.news/AP5wX68lYRkGThfLxk5Bm2Q

I’m getting quite fed up with this covid malarkey. It’s quite disheartening to see light at the end of the tunnel (borders opening), then a new variant potentially closing borders again. Of course health advice has to be followed, I just hope this “pause” is temporary and vaccine effectiveness isn’t overly impacted by omicron.

• Like 1

:evilface_frowning_s

39 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I’m getting quite fed up with this covid malarkey. It’s quite disheartening to see light at the end of the tunnel (borders opening), then a new variant potentially closing borders again. Of course health advice has to be followed, I just hope this “pause” is temporary and vaccine effectiveness isn’t overly impacted by omicron.

Feeling the same , family hopefully coming over in February 

but fearing the worst , just have to wait and see. 

• Like 1