llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

15 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Adult.

She would make her own decisions then, nothing to do with mum.

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

3 hours ago, DIG85 said:

Yep, it's all the plebs' fault that they're not vaccinated! All those working class povvos, thick as mince meat. Look at all those highly intelligent people in Canberra!

Yes, you are right.  Most working class people are intelligent people.  However, most anti-vaxxers and hesitant people are from poorer socio-economic groups or from ethnic communities.   That's not their "fault", it's just that their lack of access to education means they're poorly informed and susceptible to silly theories.  

There isn't much of a working class or much in the way of ethnic minorities in Canberra because there aren't enough jobs for them. Ergo there aren't many anti-vaxxers or hesitant people. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

17 minutes ago, Parley said:

She would make her own decisions then, nothing to do with mum.

That's what my friend is trying to tell her Mum, who feels very guilty for persuading her to change her mind.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, you are right.  Most working class people are intelligent people.  However, most anti-vaxxers and hesitant people are from poorer socio-economic groups or from ethnic communities.   That's not their "fault", it's just that their lack of access to education means they're poorly informed and susceptible to silly theories.  

There isn't much of a working class or much in the way of ethnic minorities in Canberra because there aren't enough jobs for them. Ergo there aren't many anti-vaxxers or hesitant people. 

Alternatively Canberra is full of people who toe the party line and don't engage in individual thought. Those not having the jab that I know are highly intelligent and very well read. The bullying here to have it is quite heavy. 

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Robert Dyson said:

Bad news for competition, Moderna and Pfizer are going to clean up.  Pfizer are already putting the price up  11.5 Euro per jab in the EU contract, £22 per jab in their latest UK contract.

AZ...about $2.50 per jab over here and $20 for Pfizer?

Exactly. It's all about the money.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/06/from-pfizer-to-moderna-whos-making-billions-from-covid-vaccines

53 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Alternatively Canberra is full of people who toe the party line and don't engage in individual thought. Those not having the jab that I know are highly intelligent and very well read. The bullying here to have it is quite heavy. 

What do you call bullying Quoll? 

My found out yesterday that a lady she knows who works as a nurse at St John of God hospital had retired. Her daughter told my wife. 

She was a bit surprised as last time they spoke the lady was saying how much she liked working there. Turns out it's because she didn't want the vaccine.

I think there's a few FIFO people voicing their insistance they're not having it. I think a lot just don't like being told what to do. It's a big step though to say I'm not having it then facing the reality of losing a well paid job with bills to pay.

I've heard the other side of bullying too, doctors being threatened by anti vaxxers, graffiti on vaccination places. Who would have thought it would create such a rift between people. I try not to talk about it.

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 1

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

What do you call bullying Quoll? 

My found out yesterday that a lady she knows who works as a nurse at St John of God hospital had retired. Her daughter told my wife. 

She was a bit surprised as last time they spoke the lady was saying how much she liked working there. Turns out it's because she didn't want the vaccine.

I think there's a few FIFO people voicing their insistance they're not having it. I think a lot just don't like being told what to do. It's a big step though to say I'm not having it then facing the reality of losing a well paid job with bills to pay.

I've heard the other side of bullying too, doctors being threatened by anti vaxxers, graffiti on vaccination places. Who would have thought it would create such a rift between people. I try not to talk about it.

Yep, I don't talk about it either - name calling here is rife, you know, the twonks, idiots, retards, conspiracy nuts etc. Kids not being allowed to play with kids who aren't jabbed etc. It certainly is a dilemma to stand up for what you believe in vs putting food on the table. Haven't heard anything about the reluctant ones being violent - I refuse to call them anti-vaxxers because most of them are not anything of the kind. 

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:
  • Our early lockdowns worked so efficiently, we were able to get back to zero Covid, and that was because people followed the rules
  • This lockdown hasn't worked, partly because it's Delta, but mainly because a minority of f*wits have decided to stop following the rules. 

I think the main reason this lockdown hasn't worked is because the government no longer has the political will to enforce sufficiently stringent policies.  NZ showed that they can reduce the R rate to less than 1 using their Level 4 policies, albeit not small enough to end the outbreak quickly enough before they too ran out of political will and went back to Level 3.  They are now betting on vaccination just like NSW/Victoria.

Yes you always have non-compliance but I don't think it has been demonstrated that the non-compliance is the main issue here this time around.

1 hour ago, rtritudr said:

I think the main reason this lockdown hasn't worked is because the government no longer has the political will to enforce sufficiently stringent policies.  NZ showed that they can reduce the R rate to less than 1 using their Level 4 policies, albeit not small enough to end the outbreak quickly enough before they too ran out of political will and went back to Level 3.  They are now betting on vaccination just like NSW/Victoria.

Yes you always have non-compliance but I don't think it has been demonstrated that the non-compliance is the main issue here this time around.

The week after the AFL Grand Final, it was confirmed that about one-third of all new cases had arisen from parties on Grand Final night.  That's a huge proportion.   We haven't been given any statistics about cases arising from the protests, but we're not likely to - because the anti-vax and anti-lockdown protestors would not be getting tested, so they would just be carrying on life as normal, and who knows how many people unknowingly picked it up from them.   As you know, growth is exponential, so you can see how large numbers of this week's new cases could have come from those two non-compliances alone.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Toots said:

Beats me how he managed to get into Tassie without border pass.  Usually very stringent here about stuff like that.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-14/tasmania-covid-quarantine-security-breach-answers-sought/100536016

The airlines don't check for the g2g pass when boarding a domestic flight - say it's not their job - and, apparently, Tasmania isn't allowed to station staff in interstate airports to do its own checking.  So if anyone turns up without one they have to be held in quarantine until they can be returned.  This particular reprobate had already been refused a g2g pass twice but booked on the last plane of the day so he couldn't be immediately returned - obviously part of his cunning plan.  The other villain here is security at the quarantine hotel.  How on earth could he slip out without being noticed?  The hotels with international quarantiners in Hobart have Army security but domestic quarantine hotels have private security firms.  Didn't anyone learn a lesson from Melbourne?  You would have thought they'd ensure the private security system was fail proof.  🙄

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Skani said:

The airlines don't check for the g2g pass when boarding a domestic flight - say it's not their job - and, apparently, Tasmania isn't allowed to station staff in interstate airports to do its own checking.  So if anyone turns up without one they have to be held in quarantine until they can be returned.  This particular reprobate had already been refused a g2g pass twice but booked on the last plane of the day so he couldn't be immediately returned - obviously part of his cunning plan.  The other villain here is security at the quarantine hotel.  How on earth could he slip out without being noticed?  The hotels with international quarantiners in Hobart have Army security but domestic quarantine hotels have private security firms.  Didn't anyone learn a lesson from Melbourne?  You would have thought they'd ensure the private security system was fail proof.  🙄

Maybe he will be jailed for 3 or 4 months like the 2 men who went to WA for the Grand Final illegally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Maybe he will be jailed for 3 or 4 months like the 2 men who went to WA for the Grand Final illegally.

There's currently no legislation in Tas. for gaoling Covid miscreants but there's plenty of popular support for it so maybe that will change.

23 hours ago, Quoll said:

Yep, I don't talk about it either - name calling here is rife, you know, the twonks, idiots, retards, conspiracy nuts etc. Kids not being allowed to play with kids who aren't jabbed etc. It certainly is a dilemma to stand up for what you believe in vs putting food on the table. Haven't heard anything about the reluctant ones being violent - I refuse to call them anti-vaxxers because most of them are not anything of the kind. 

What are they then?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The week after the AFL Grand Final, it was confirmed that about one-third of all new cases had arisen from parties on Grand Final night.  That's a huge proportion.   We haven't been given any statistics about cases arising from the protests, but we're not likely to - because the anti-vax and anti-lockdown protestors would not be getting tested, so they would just be carrying on life as normal, and who knows how many people unknowingly picked it up from them.   As you know, growth is exponential, so you can see how large numbers of this week's new cases could have come from those two non-compliances alone.

I was expecting the same in NSW after the rugby Final.

We watched the new Michael Portillo series last night where he's taking a walk round the coastal path in Devon and Cornwall.

Started off with him waterproofing all his gear as he went in May, so was expecting bad weather. He said he felt like he'd lost a year of his life in Lockdown in London

Interesting that he asked the people he met on the walk, who all live close to the ocean and coastal path and all of them said they'd quite enjoyed the lockdown. Made old Michael very reflective of what his whole life and lifestyle has been about. Interesting watch.

• Like 5

Service NSW App now has vaccine digital certificate linked to venue check-in, and amazingly for a government mobile app, it's seamlessly brilliant.  

• Like 3

On 14/10/2021 at 14:21, Quoll said:

If you’re not having a medically recommended vaccination, you are, by definition, anti vax. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

If you’re not having a medically recommended vaccination, you are, by definition, anti vax. 

That is not true , some people have been advised due to existing health conditions not to have the vaccination, that is very different to simply refusing to have it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Robert Dyson said:

Service NSW App now has vaccine digital certificate linked to venue check-in, and amazingly for a government mobile app, it's seamlessly brilliant.  

Couldn’t load mine yesterday as system had gone down, Will try again today . 

37 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

That is not true , some people have been advised due to existing health conditions not to have the vaccination, that is very different to simply refusing to have it. 

I think you're saying the same thing as HappyHeart.  If you have some pre-existing health condition,  a health professional might not "medically recommend" you get vaccinated...so the same thing.   But if there's no medical reason not to get vaccinated and you still refuse it, then you're by definition anti-vax....it doesn't matter what reasoning you use for that, you just are.

Edited by Robert Dyson
  • Like 4

I had an interesting discussion yesterday about the potential of Canberra becoming the test case to see if herd immunity is ever going to be possible, or whether it should be abandoned as a worldwide aspiration.   It was a WHO target to achieve herd immunity through vaccination and nobody was close, except Israel, and they haven't achieved it yet.

There have no examples of herd immunity being achieved through Covid as was hoped 18 months ago.   The best hope in the world for this to be achieved was the UK, with huge numbers of initial infections, then a decent level of vaccinations through a great push,  then a total lack of disease control for the last 4 months encouraging the spread and further infection of the remaining population. 

Yet even with this scenario in place,  the UK had an astonishing 44,000 cases yesterday (up 11.5% in a week), 818 deaths in the last week (up 5%), and a dangerously high hospital admittance level of 5468 in a week (up 6.4%).  These figures have been rising for some time and do not appear to have peaked.

Two of the reasons put forward for this are that :  1.  The UK has decent, but not outstanding vaccination levels.  2. They did not factor in children seriously enough and have been too slow to accept that Delta is affecting children far more than the vanilla strain of covid.

Australia are already well advanced in vaccination for 12yrs +, and Pfizer have now applied for accelerated approval to vaccinate 5-12 yr olds, plus there is an anxious Federal Government in Australia who are still stinging over the slow initial rollout but have a huge vaccine supply chain coming online now.

It's been suggested that the ACT which is going to end up with a near 100% eligible vaccination rate, if they quickly extend this to everybody over 5 yrs old and start their boosters this month, will become the best hope of seeing if herd immunity is achievable when unrestricted travel recommences.  If it can't work here, it will never work anywhere...so will set the blueprint for future healthcare planning and funding requirements worldwide.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Robert Dyson said:

I linked mine to the Services Victoria app too. Works fine.

I haven't experienced any issues with any of the government apps actually.