llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

16 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

People don’t care if it’s not effecting them financially, if their job is ticking along as normal getting paid every week they don’t understand the strain it puts on relationships. They can put up with not going on holiday, or out for a meal , when you have to make a decision to either pay rent / mortgage or put food on table come back then and tell us lockdowns are ok. 

You are describing Tories. Political discussion isn’t allowed here. 

• Haha 2

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

41 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

At the end of the day we are going to have to live with covid , and it pains me to say deaths will be collateral damage, we can’t do any more than get vaccinated at present to protect ourselves, even with the vaccination numbers in the uk we can see it is spreading at alarming rates. 
You either lockdown or get on with it ( after vacation of population)  I really fear the worse here in Australia what the reaction is going to be if numbers start mirroring uk after we hit the 80% target.  The politicians will be in melt down god help us all. 

Again, you are half right and half wrong.

There will be unavoidable deaths but the current policy is designed to prevent the level of what you call collateral damage in the UK, and Australians ARE doing more than getting vaccinated by also restricting movement to prevent unneccesary deaths.   The "alarming rates" in the UK are because they have abandoned controls. No restrictions. Nothing.

The numbers in Australia will NOT mirror the UK rates because we will do it differently once 80% is reached....there will be no Freedom Day and people will be more sensible about living with covid, at least until maintainable infection rates and the passage of time have provided herd immunity.  You don't have to fear anything, just keep your nerve and follow the science.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

People don’t care if it’s not effecting them financially, if their job is ticking along as normal getting paid every week they don’t understand the strain it puts on relationships. They can put up with not going on holiday, or out for a meal , when you have to make a decision to either pay rent / mortgage or put food on table come back then and tell us lockdowns are ok. 

I dont think that's true for all, although certainly for some as there are very selfish people around who care little for anybody. 

Generally, people have made enormous sacrifices for the benefit of others. Just staying at home is a sacrifice.  There is a guy in my town, he was a very well paid IT worker when i knew him.  When he was furloughed and had to take about a 70% pay cut, he started cooking at home and taking meals to the homeless. 

He ended up being donated daytime space in a restaurant kitchen and is currently making and delivering more than 300 meals a week and paying for the ingredients out of his own pocket.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/canberra/programs/saturdaybreakfast/covid-19-lockdown-hot-meal-support/13527898 

He has not yet gone back to work although he could have done so, and has started a Go Fund me page so he can afford more ingredients to do more kindness. Currently at $12,500.  Give a little to feel better.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/covid-19-lockdown-hot-meal-upport?utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet+spider1c&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer

36 minutes ago, Robert Dyson said:

Again, you are half right and half wrong.

There will be unavoidable deaths but the current policy is designed to prevent the level of what you call collateral damage in the UK, and Australians ARE doing more than getting vaccinated by also restricting movement to prevent unneccesary deaths.   The "alarming rates" in the UK are because they have abandoned controls. No restrictions. Nothing.

The numbers in Australia will NOT mirror the UK rates because we will do it differently once 80% is reached....there will be no Freedom Day and people will be more sensible about living with covid, at least until maintainable infection rates and the passage of time have provided herd immunity.  You don't have to fear anything, just keep your nerve and follow the science.

Any death after achieving 80% vaccination rate for population is collateral damage as it’s not possible to achieve 100% , we are going to have to live with it and unfortunately death is part of it. 

let’s see what happens when international travel opens up or are we going to be closed for ever. 
you can bury your head I can see what’s coming from the actions when 1 case gets reported. 

Edited by Rallyman

13 hours ago, Craig Colas said:

So you would rather the disruption and the future of every young person be at risk as you are worried that you may or may not get long-term effects that are not fully proven yet.

I'd prefer not to be a victim but I am just as worried about everyone else.  We KNOW that there was an explosion of encephalitis lethargica after the Spanish flu.  We KNOW that there was an explosion of Parkinson's disease in survivors of Spanish flu.   Given its propensity for infecting the sinus, we KNOW Covid is likely to have a similar impact.  We KNOW that people who've had even mild Covid are left with ground glass lesions in their lungs, and lingering damage to other organs including the brain. Most of those people do not have any symptoms, so they have no idea what kind of ticking time bomb they have in their bodies, but many experts are concerned that those young people are facing an increased risk of chronic illness in later age.

• Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, is due out August 2022

10 hours ago, kungfustu said:

I think we will see flu deaths rising quite a lot over the coming months.....18 months locked away with no mixing.....immunity to flu and various other viruses has taken a tumble....I think we will see many more people dying of various other viruses than in previous years but we will all still be terrified of covid.

That is not how the immune system works.   We build up immunity over a lifetime.   It is true that many people are likely to be more susceptible to colds and flu once lockdown ends, but it's not because we haven't been exposed to colds and flus.  It will be because their immune systems are affected by stress, poor eating and lack of exercise.  

https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2020/06/social-distancing-and-immune-system

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

And that’s what you see on this website….ffs it’s right there In front of you but the majority choose to ignore it because it does not fit into their narrative 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Both Ali and myself have posted numerous warnings on this thread, sadly we seem to have a small handful that seem to continuously miss them ! Here is a small recap 

- This thread is to discuss what is happening where you are Covid wise.

- Do not resort to personal comments about other members or attempts to ridicule other members

- Do not go off down the politics line.

Unfortunately any members who ''miss'' this post again, will go onto the moderated function ,so each post you make will have to wait to be approved by a moderator or admin before its shown on the forum.

Cal x

• Like 2

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Hopefully light at end of tunnel regarding international travel being able to isolate for 7 days  at home not in hotel . 

Looks as if people just move when their state is locked down.

IMG_20210917_044834.jpg

Are there any drs or nurses who know what the strategy is in terms of therapeutics? What (if anything) is currently being dispensed? (Aus/UK)

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'd prefer not to be a victim but I am just as worried about everyone else.  We KNOW that there was an explosion of encephalitis lethargica after the Spanish flu.  We KNOW that there was an explosion of Parkinson's disease in survivors of Spanish flu.   Given its propensity for infecting the sinus, we KNOW Covid is likely to have a similar impact.  We KNOW that people who've had even mild Covid are left with ground glass lesions in their lungs, and lingering damage to other organs including the brain. Most of those people do not have any symptoms, so they have no idea what kind of ticking time bomb they have in their bodies, but many experts are concerned that those young people are facing an increased risk of chronic illness in later age.

No you don't KNOW it will likely have that impact and there is no data for it! They both may be a respiratory virus but they are completely different viruses! Lets deal with facts and figures please rather than conjecture! 

We are talking about a virus with a 99% survival rate as if its the plague! That's fact, the math's is there, no argument to be had!

To risk economic ruin, increase in crime, drug use, job losses, I could go on and on about a vast array of social issues just to save Doris down the street in her flat is idiotic. Call me callous cold whatever you want 7.5 billion people on the planet, won't be long before you start seeing deaths on a scale that's unimaginable.

You'll be alright though top 1% of wealthiest people in the world, worrying about a virus with a 99% survival rate!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, kungfustu said:

And that’s what you see on this website….ffs it’s right there In front of you but the majority choose to ignore it because it does not fit into their narrative 

This was right there in front of you on this very page in response to the very same comment.  You seem to have ignored because it doesn't fit into your narrative.

I dont think that's true for all, although certainly for some as there are very selfish people around who care little for anybody. 

Generally, people have made enormous sacrifices for the benefit of others. Just staying at home is a sacrifice.  There is a guy in my town, he was a very well paid IT worker when i knew him.  When he was furloughed and had to take about a 70% pay cut, he started cooking at home and taking meals to the homeless. 

He ended up being donated daytime space in a restaurant kitchen and is currently making and delivering more than 300 meals a week and paying for the ingredients out of his own pocket.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/canberra/programs/saturdaybreakfast/covid-19-lockdown-hot-meal-support/13527898 

He has not yet gone back to work although he could have done so, and has started a Go Fund me page so he can afford more ingredients to do more kindness. Currently at $12,500.  Give a little to feel better.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/covid-19-lockdown-hot-meal-upport?utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet+spider1c&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

That is not how the immune system works.   We build up immunity over a lifetime.   It is true that many people are likely to be more susceptible to colds and flu once lockdown ends, but it's not because we haven't been exposed to colds and flus.  It will be because their immune systems are affected by stress, poor eating and lack of exercise.  

https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2020/06/social-distancing-and-immune-system

oh c'mon.....😂

We ate like kings and queens during lock down because there was nothing else to do......everyone took their hour of excercise because there was nothing else to do.....in fact I can remember commenting on this back in April 2020 saying I had never seen so many people out running and cycling.....its frankly a ridiculous thing to suggest that what we eat and lack of excercise is going to be responsible for any increases in flu RSV......Read the Guardians piece....."with so little virus circulation, population immunity will have waned".....nothing to do with what you have eaten over the past 18 months.....😂

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jun/25/is-the-uk-in-for-a-bumper-flu-season-this-winter

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

well I suppose at least yours and @Marisawright scaremongering over long covid isn't as bad as you try to make out.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58584558

Just wondering Kungfustu how the counter-covid strategies are working in the UK. A genuine expression of interest. 

Edited by Dusty Plains

4 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Just wondering Kungfustu how the counter-covid strategies are working in the UK. A genuine expression of interest. 

maybe try asking someone that cares then.....😴

• Congratulations 1

54 minutes ago, Craig Colas said:

No you don't KNOW it will likely have that impact and there is no data for it! They both may be a respiratory virus but they are completely different viruses! Lets deal with facts and figures please rather than conjecture! 

We are talking about a virus with a 99% survival rate as if its the plague! That's fact, the math's is there, no argument to be had!

To risk economic ruin, increase in crime, drug use, job losses, I could go on and on about a vast array of social issues just to save Doris down the street in her flat is idiotic. Call me callous cold whatever you want 7.5 billion people on the planet, won't be long before you start seeing deaths on a scale that's unimaginable.

You'll be alright though top 1% of wealthiest people in the world, worrying about a virus with a 99% survival rate!

The clinically extremely vulnerable are more than 'just' the elderly. It is not unusual for chronically ill people to work full time, raise children, have mortgages and basically live 'normal' lives thanks to 21st century medication and healthcare. I don't see them or the elderly as expendable collateral damage, they are part and parcel of the society we live in and while there's no easy way to live through a global health crisis, potentially identifying certain groups of people's lives as less valuable seems a dangerous road to go down. 

A pandemic is a huge challenge for every government and every citizen and there are no easy answers. We cannot expect to sail through this without mistakes and negative impacts. But 'just sacrificing Doris down the road' because we've decided her life is not worth protecting and she and other vulnerable people can take their chances, is not the way a healthy society functions imo. Not looking for an argument or even a debate to be honest as I accept that views are polarised.... just offering an alternative opinion. Tx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, tea4too said:

The clinically extremely vulnerable are more than 'just' the elderly. It is not unusual for chronically ill people to work full time, raise children, have mortgages and basically live 'normal' lives thanks to 21st century medication and healthcare. I don't see them or the elderly as expendable collateral damage, they are part and parcel of the society we live in and while there's no easy way to live through a global health crisis, potentially identifying certain groups of people's lives as less valuable seems a dangerous road to go down. 

A pandemic is a huge challenge for every government and every citizen and there are no easy answers. We cannot expect to sail through this without mistakes and negative impacts. But 'just sacrificing Doris down the road' because we've decided her life is not worth protecting and she and other vulnerable people can take their chances, is not the way a healthy society functions imo. Not looking for an argument or even a debate to be honest as I accept that views are polarised.... just offering an alternative opinion. Tx

Of course and I respect your opinion. I understand it's not as simple as I state, and your right there is a number of demographics that will be effected more than others. My view on society is the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. That's not to say I want them disregarded. I would rather things are put in place to protect those that need protecting but not at the expense of others. 

Specific shopping and doctors appointment times for example and shelter workers that need it. Those kinds of measures don't need to effect wider society. 

I shouldn't of got involved in commenting really but couldn't help myself. Short statements never give a full reflection. I usually only come on to read to help with our move to Oz. Winding down at work with nothing much to do will do that to you.

Take it easy everyone I'm sure the end will be in sight soon! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

oh c'mon.....😂

We ate like kings and queens during lock down because there was nothing else to do......everyone took their hour of excercise because there was nothing else to do.....in fact I can remember commenting on this back in April 2020 saying I had never seen so many people out running and cycling.....its frankly a ridiculous thing to suggest that what we eat and lack of excercise is going to be responsible for any increases in flu RSV......Read the Guardians piece....."with so little virus circulation, population immunity will have waned".....nothing to do with what you have eaten over the past 18 months.....😂

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jun/25/is-the-uk-in-for-a-bumper-flu-season-this-winter

Well great, if everyone has increased their fitness and health during lockdown then there will be no increase in colds and flu. The idea that immunity gained over a lifetime will wane over a mere year or so is laughable 

17 minutes ago, tea4too said:

great post. 

I read that in the UK up to 40% of people have an underlying health condition, but a lot do not recognise it as such because it's not uncommon in their local society.  Obesity and T2D being two such ailments that have risen hugely.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Very well.  Cases across all ages and regions falling every day and a high percentage of natural immunity.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/covid-cases-fall-in-all-regions-and-nearly-all-age-groups-1203893

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Well great, if everyone has increased their fitness and health during lockdown then there will be no increase in colds and flu. The idea that immunity gained over a lifetime will wane over a mere year or so is laughable 

The guardian. Unbelievable.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

12 hours ago, Robert Dyson said:

This was right there in front of you on this very page in response to the very same comment.  You seem to have ignored because it doesn't fit into your narrative.

The fact he was very well paid is your answer, he can afford it (but well done him ) 

lots of people live pay cheque to pay cheque around 48% here in Australia, much higher in USA not sure about uk.