llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

Just now, Marisawright said:

Fair enough, it just makes things confusing when you use the word in discussions with other people.

Just over the whole thing now as are most.

11 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Fair enough, it just makes things confusing when you use the word in discussions with other people.

Yes.  I remember my friend going back to the UK from a balearics holiday last year and saying he was having to "quarantine".  Which meant going home on public transport and promising to stay at home, whilst sneaking out to the pub at night. No wonder they never got rid of the first strain, let alone any of the variants.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Have you missed it Rally? We missed going to a planned wedding in the UK but TBH I wasn't that bothered. Expensive, long flights, have to try and think of things to do to make it a holiday.

Last time we went to the UK we had a week on a swimtrek holiday in Milos (Greek Islands) and a week in Santorini, then went to the UK for a week, then France for 10 days and back to the UK for another week.

I loved the Greek bit, enjoyed seeing the rellies, my wifes Sister had booked the French trip and said the South of France in a Gite big enough for us, FIL, her 2 sisters and hubbys. What she meant was it was Southern France, in the middle of nowhere really, a long way from what I'd call South of France. Luckily it was near a canal where I went for a run most days. Mountains were good and we went for a paddle on a river one day, which was good. Apart from that I was longing to be back home. Looking back I should have hired a bike but thought it wasn't the right thing to do to disappear for a day or 2 on my own. You know what family holidays can be like.

Not really missed going anywhere. We don't really have a bad winter and I play golf, swim, bike, ski paddle all winter and all my toys and friends are here. Now we're in spring the weathers only going to get better so I'll not miss international travel at all.

There’s nothing wrong with you being content with your life.  The thing is though, many people do want to travel and experience new things.  From the things you put, I get the impression most of what you do is very near to home and that’s no problem.  Many people though would not be content with that.  I live in a nice place and I’m quite content but I wouldn’t be happy to spend my life living in a 10 mile square bubble of home.  Maybe my neighbour would be for example and that’s ok but for me and many other people, travel is not a chore, it’s a pleasure.  I think we need to understand people are different and what is a happy place for you isn’t for others and the same the other way around. 

• Like 4

On 13/09/2021 at 06:07, Marisawright said:

Half the population right now, but that's only since the virus escaped from Sydney in the last couple of months.  Not the whole 18 months, in fact nowhere near it.

you have conveniently forgotten that your borders have been closed for 1.5 years.....people cannot enter or leave your country without some type of special permission (unless you are famous).....why is it you and others are so quick to jump on the band wagon and highlight the errors.....mistakes and misfortunes other countries have suffered over the past 18 months but refuse point blank to acknowledge your own mistakes and misfortunes that have affected many millions in your country over the past 18 months?

On 09/09/2021 at 12:22, Robert Dyson said:

Nobody has blamed you personally for the international disgrace that went on in the UK, but you seem to have assumed a guilt syndrome that you can't just let go of.  The facts are there that you seeded this thing across the world, there's a reason why the Kent UK variant was renamed Alpha.

It would be ok if you lived here, but you don't, and you're in no position to give advice to those who have responded better.  I think that's the real secret that is seeping out of your posts...you want Australia to perform as badly as the UK and it annoys the hell out of you that we haven't done that

I don't want anyone to perform badly......I think.....you think you want me to want Australia to perform badly so that you can try and deflect your own failings.....hows that sound?

In truth....Australia....like NZ are pretty much the most isolated countries in the world.....a bit like Perth is the most isolated city in the world.....in Perth right now its 1985 and Michael Jackson is getting ready to perform at the telethon.....no ones heard of Corona virus!.....joking aside.....we do get a lot of "comparing" on here.....its easy to do and does make justifying your own mistakes a lot easier but if Australia or more to the point people living in Australia want to compare themselves they should be looking in the other direction at NZ.....you could argue that given their isolation.....head start on the rest of the world with this pandemic and low population density.....having extremly low infections and deaths should be expected.....given that infections are rising and deaths are in the thousands in Australia now and in NZ.....4000 infections and just 27 deaths.....it does beg the question.....🤔

Yeh yeh.....I'm sure you would rather be there than here.....truth is Id rather be here than there....or anywhere else come to that but it does beg the question.....if NZ are still controlling this so well......whats gone wrong?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

What part of the roll out was a "joke"?

If this actually needs explaining too you , I think,  you don’t or will not accept what has happened in this regard. 
Government , state and federal are beyond reproach with yourself 

In regard to the handling of covid in Australia. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

What part of the roll out was a "joke"?

You do realise of course that to have a roll-out to begin with, then there needs to be some sort of commodity to actually "roll out".  It needs to be sitting in significant pallet loads on the tarmacs at major airports in Australia, flight after flight, and in bulk cargo proportions. So then send in the fork lift trucks and start packing the "commodity" into transport and logistic systems nation wide. That is a rollout.

Unfortunately this has never occurred. There was never any commodity to be trucked to any great degree commensurate with the 40 Million doses of Pfizer that the Morrison government had made under an agreement with Pfizer over the course of 2020. 

Pfizer ( Belgium)  mostly abandoned Australia and its 40 million unit orders as placed by the Morrison government with Pfizer Belgium up to, and now going onto 13 months ago.  Accordingly, in the vacuum, we have had to barter with other countries who have a surplus of Pfizer immunisation stocks. Those countries include, Poland, Singapore and the UK, all flooded with Pfizer stocks to the extent that they will do a deal with Australia. 

With these facts in mind, Pfizer has clearly abandoned Australia and so we have to beg borrow and steal from countries that were obviously favoured by Pfizer Belgium.     

And yet you actually think that it was a Liberal government conspiracy in holding back immunisation stocks for the Newcastle area for being a predominantly Labor enclave

Hillarious🤣.

Again, you appeared to fixated on Pfizer and wanting to blame someone else. 

There are gallons and gallons of Aussie made vaccine that isn't being used.  The joke is that most Aussies are too scared to take it (for no good reason) and there for holding out for something that is in short supply - this is what is holding Australia back.

• Like 2

@Dusty Plains, a very simple check through the internet and past newspapers proves you are wrong.  The Morrison government did, indeed, sign an agreement for 40 million doses, TO BE DELIVERED AT INTERVALS OVER THE COURSE OF 12 MONTHS.   Canada did exactly the same.  There was never any expectation that 40 million doses would suddenly arrive in Australia. To keep pretending otherwise in the face of all the evidence is ridiculous.

• Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

37 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

@Dusty Plains, a very simple check through the internet and past newspapers proves you are wrong.  The Morrison government did, indeed, sign an agreement for 40 million doses, TO BE DELIVERED AT INTERVALS OVER THE COURSE OF 12 MONTHS.   Canada did exactly the same.  There was never any expectation that 40 million doses would suddenly arrive in Australia. To keep pretending otherwise in the face of all the evidence is ridiculous.

Very sensible approach too.

I want it all, and I want it now.

12 hours ago, Rallyman said:

I know people who can't wait to be able to go overseas.  I am happy to bide my time, though I would love to see our two sons again.  Tasmania is in a sort of bubble.  We are living a very normal life and have been for a year.  Never had to wear a mask.  We've been to Sydney and Melbourne when they aren't in lockdown.  On  the north west coast many GPs have been administering the vaccine since May and for those whose GP isn't doing so, local surf clubs are places where jabs are happening.  

As soon as anything to do with Covid or Afghanistan appears on the news I switch off.  What a mess the world is in.  I've reached a stage in my life where i just don't want to know anymore.  Not a good attitude I know but that's as good as it gets from me.  The more I see of humanity the more I prefer the company of my animals.  🐕 🐎

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Toots said:

I know people who can't wait to be able to go overseas.  I am happy to bide my time, though I would love to see our two sons again.  Tasmania is in a sort of bubble.  We are living a very normal life and have been for a year.  Never had to wear a mask.  We've been to Sydney and Melbourne when they aren't in lockdown.  On  the north west coast many GPs have been administering the vaccine since May and for those whose GP isn't doing so, local surf clubs are places where jabs are happening.  

As soon as anything to do with Covid or Afghanistan appears on the news I switch off.  What a mess the world is in.  I've reached a stage in my life where i just don't want to know anymore.  Not a good attitude I know but that's as good as it gets from me.  The more I see of humanity the more I prefer the company of my animals.  🐕 🐎

Me too. I've started listening to radio Caroline because it has no news.

16 hours ago, Rallyman said:

You can book your 1 way flight out of here on December 18th which is when Qantas resume international travel.

Bon Voyage.

Edited by Parley
  • Confused 1

Great news if you live in Queensland, WA and SA and over 60. They will allow you to get Pfizer.

It was worth the wait.

The other states will no doubt follow soon.

Edited by Parley

17 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

There’s nothing wrong with you being content with your life.  The thing is though, many people do want to travel and experience new things.  From the things you put, I get the impression most of what you do is very near to home and that’s no problem.  Many people though would not be content with that.  I live in a nice place and I’m quite content but I wouldn’t be happy to spend my life living in a 10 mile square bubble of home.  Maybe my neighbour would be for example and that’s ok but for me and many other people, travel is not a chore, it’s a pleasure.  I think we need to understand people are different and what is a happy place for you isn’t for others and the same the other way around. 

One of the reasons we moved here and chose our suburb carefully was to be "content" with what's local.

We were in our 30's when we emigrated, knew what we liked weather and climate wise from going on holiday, both loved beaches and the ocean, both liked sport and keeping generally fit.

We used to have a timeshare in the Algarve for years and loved it there. Living near Stockport we got the opportunity for that lifestyle maybe 3 weeks a year if we were lucky. Eventually thought may as well go and live someplace like it.

Still like travelling and really enjoyed trips to Bali  before covid. Hope things return to normal then we'll start travelling again. In the meantime there's no sense in "fighting the system", just try and make the best of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rallyman said:

If this actually needs explaining too you , I think,  you don’t or will not accept what has happened in this regard. 
Government , state and federal are beyond reproach with yourself 

In regard to the handling of covid in Australia. 

I don't see it that way at all. We weren't in danger of an outbreak here, vaccine came months ago and anyone that wanted AZ got it pretty quickly. Me and the wife are double jabbed weeks ago, the eldest went for his 2nd pfizer yesterday, youngest has had one.

Plenty of places were more in need of vaccines than us, especially early and given that the UK is supposed to be a success story their numbers of infections, hospital cases, deaths remain stubbornly high. Their R rate is still over 1 and they are pondering another lockdown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

You can book your 1 way flight out of here on December 18th which is when Qantas resume international travel.

Bon Voyage.

But will you be able to return ? 

14 hours ago, kungfustu said:

you have conveniently forgotten that your borders have been closed for 1.5 years.....people cannot enter or leave your country without some type of special permission (unless you are famous).....why is it you and others are so quick to jump on the band wagon and highlight the errors.....mistakes and misfortunes other countries have suffered over the past 18 months but refuse point blank to acknowledge your own mistakes and misfortunes that have affected many millions in your country over the past 18 months?

Oh I don't know, plenty of us have highlighted where NSW slipped up and messed it up for thousands, maybe millions.

The borders being closed is what has helped us have a normal life whilst most of the rest of the world were locked down for months.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

One of the reasons we moved here and chose our suburb carefully was to be "content" with what's local.

We were in our 30's when we emigrated, knew what we liked weather and climate wise from going on holiday, both loved beaches and the ocean, both liked sport and keeping generally fit.

We used to have a timeshare in the Algarve for years and loved it there. Living near Stockport we got the opportunity for that lifestyle maybe 3 weeks a year if we were lucky. Eventually thought may as well go and live someplace like it.

Still like travelling and really enjoyed trips to Bali  before covid. Hope things return to normal then we'll start travelling again. In the meantime there's no sense in "fighting the system", just try and make the best of it.

I get that Paul and honestly it’s lovely you feel like that.  It’s just you put ‘have you really missed it Rally?’  is if it was made up, that he couldn’t possibly really be missing it when you have everything you could want on your doorstep.  For you that seems the case which is really nice but it’s not for everyone.  Of course people have to make the most of things right now but that’s not the same as being shocked they could possibly be missing it. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

I don't see it that way at all. We weren't in danger of an outbreak here, vaccine came months ago and anyone that wanted AZ got it pretty quickly. Me and the wife are double jabbed weeks ago, the eldest went for his 2nd pfizer yesterday, youngest has had one.

Plenty of places were more in need of vaccines than us, especially early and given that the UK is supposed to be a success story their numbers of infections, hospital cases, deaths remain stubbornly high. Their R rate is still over 1 and they are pondering another lockdown.

I was flat refused AZ by my Doctor he wouldn’t give it to me. 
we were being told to get vaccinated but we couldn’t book one , we were  told to book at the new super hub in Newcastle it tok them a month to sort out the booking system as the it was stuffed. 

That’s just part of it , to be fair paul as WA has been closed to the rest of Australia you haven’t been through the lockdown the eastern states have had to deal with. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Great news if you live in Queensland, WA and SA and over 60. They will allow you to get Pfizer.

It was worth the wait.

The other states will no doubt follow soon.

Well done, a victory for ignorance and American PR(ofit) over saving lives. You must be proud of the small part you played in it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I get that Paul and honestly it’s lovely you feel like that.  It’s just you put ‘have you really missed it Rally?’  is if it was made up, that he couldn’t possibly really be missing it when you have everything you could want on your doorstep.  For you that seems the case which is really nice but it’s not for everyone.  Of course people have to make the most of things right now but that’s not the same as being shocked they could possibly be missing it. 

You did see the question mark didn't you? I've no idea where rally lives and what his interests are, it wasn't a dig. I wasn't shocked, lots of people are really frustrated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

I was flat refused AZ by my Doctor he wouldn’t give it to me. 
we were being told to get vaccinated but we couldn’t book one , we were  told to book at the new super hub in Newcastle it tok them a month to sort out the booking system as the it was stuffed. 

That’s just part of it , to be fair paul as WA has been closed to the rest of Australia you haven’t been through the lockdown the eastern states have had to deal with. 

Yep, we know we've been very lucky.

Meanwhile, here in the UK, last week half of hospitals hit the unsafe bed occupancy threshold (NHS England sets this at 92%) and hospiotals, ambulance service and GP's report what they say is "unprecedented pressure for this time of year".

We received a letter from the kids school last night.  School restarted next week with no distancing or masks and already they are tracking rising cases in all year groups and are therefore re-instating twice weekly testing.

However bad it might feel in Australia - it's way better than here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

British  | Lived in Australia 2001-02 on 457   | Married Aussie wife & moved back to UK | Plan to return to Sydney 2026 when all kids have finished school

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Oh I don't know, plenty of us have highlighted where NSW slipped up and messed it up for thousands, maybe millions.

McGowan speak.

2 hours ago, welljock said:

Well done, a victory for ignorance and American PR(ofit) over saving lives. You must be proud of the small part you played in it

Thank you. If I have played a small part in allowing people to get a choice in which vaccine they receive then I am very happy.