llessur

Australian and UK Covid Responses

16 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Still in lock down despite it being 18 months later?

To be fair, nowhere in Australia is "still in lockdown", because that suggests we've been in lockdown for the whole 18 months.  It's true that Melbourne has spent a lot of that time in lockdown, but the rest of the country has spent most of those 18 months not in lockdown at all.   True, borders have been closed at various times, but daily life has been normal.  

The vaccine rollout has been a joke though.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

55 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Still in lock down despite it being 18 months later?

Pull the other one, it's got bells on🤣

Check a map. It's really only very small parts of Aus that are in lockdown. 

WA released it's budget accounts last week, 5.4 billion $ surplus. Surprised all the so called experts who were predicting doom and gloom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

How did Gladys ever want to be like the UK?

You'd have to ask her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

Check a map. It's really only very small parts of Aus that are in lockdown. 

Half the population. 

Remember it's only a very small part of Aus that are habitable😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Half the population. 

Half the population right now, but that's only since the virus escaped from Sydney in the last couple of months.  Not the whole 18 months, in fact nowhere near it.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

To be fair, nowhere in Australia is "still in lockdown", because that suggests we've been in lockdown for the whole 18 months.  It's true that Melbourne has spent a lot of that time in lockdown, but the rest of the country has spent most of those 18 months not in lockdown at all.   True, borders have been closed at various times, but daily life has been normal.  

We have been in lockdown regarding Free travel and return internationally . 

30 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

But that’s not lockdown that’s closed borders. Lockdown has a specific meaning with Covid 

• Like 4

Pedantry aside, all I can say is that we all know how long COVID has been going on. 

I didn't jump the queue however I've been double jabbed since June.

To be locked down 18 months into all of this is pitiful.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Pedantry aside, all I can say is that we all know how long COVID has been going on. 

You must be very elderly and vulnerable to get it that early.

I think it is going well now after a slow start. Supply is no longer an issue and everyone who is willing will be vaccinated by the end of the year, which was always the plan.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

9 minutes ago, Parley said:

or priority worker, health staff or border force etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unzippy said:

Can only speak for the area where i live in QLD,. but in TOTAL since Covid started early 2020 we have only had around 6 weeks of lock down, much of that in school holidays and not massively strict, so thank fully students havent missed much schooling etc, i would say that is far from pitiful in comparison to what some other countries have endured and the amount of lives lost.. 

Cal x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

3 hours ago, Parley said:

I think it is going well now after a slow start. Supply is no longer an issue and everyone who is willing will be vaccinated by the end of the year, which was always the plan.

not necessarily, many health and emergency workers fall into that bracket. I've been double jabbed since the first week of July for that reason.

29 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Can only speak for the area where i live in QLD,. but in TOTAL since Covid started early 2020 we have only had around 6 weeks of lock down, much of that in school holidays and not massively strict, so thank fully students havent missed much schooling etc, i would say that is far from pitiful in comparison to what some other countries have endured and the amount of lives lost.. 

Cal x

Same for me where I live in Qld. We were fully vaccinated by mid June as we are elderly. I think we all realise that the probability of being affected by a Delta outbreak here is very real, but hope if enough people get vaccinated, that it might minimise the number of people getting very sick. 

In the meantime, Like quite a few people I know we have had a break away from Qld. We managed to go to NSW for 2 weeks, visiting Sydney and driving to Jarvis Bay and Jindabyne, and our daughter also came here for a week, when there was a break between the border closure. Others have had holidays in Qld. Life has been as normal as possible in the circumstances for us. We catch up with our son in Brisbane, have gone to the theatre several times and seen some great shows, eat out regularly, and catch up with friends. We accept like many split families that we can’t fly overseas to see our grandsons. We know we haven’t been affected as badly as other states and countries. Our UK son and family were locked down for months, and our grandsons have missed going to school and seeing their friends for nearly a year, whereas the children in our family here in Qld and northern NSW have had hardly any disruption by comparison. I feel very sorry for all the businesses that are struggling, my family member in Sydney is just holding on, and for Victoria who have had it tougher than others states. Hope there are better times ahead for everyone.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Parley said:

How do you make that out, it was opened to the over 50s at the start of May and the over 40s at the start of June. So anyone over 40 could have been doubled jabbed in June

1 minute ago, welljock said:

How do you make that out, it was opened to the over 50s at the start of May and the over 40s at the start of June. So anyone over 40 could have been doubled jabbed in June

It was 12 weeks between AZ doses back then.

I want it all, and I want it now.

16 hours ago, Parley said:

Incorrect.  Because I think it is important I made the effort to get off my arse and queued up at the Showgrounds walk in hub.  Second one I had done in the Convention Center.  Again as soon was physically possible, I looked online as to where I could go to get done. 

Unfortunately not everyone sees it that way.

14 hours ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

Luckily I can speak for Metropolitan Melbourne.  Back on the 19th of Aug we ticked over 200 days of lock down. 

200 days!  That's 6.6 months.

We are fast approaching 7.6 months.

When the rest of the population manage to hit 70% of having the first dose, we get to look forward to 2hrs outside and be able to travel 10km.  Whoop de doo.

Some excellently presented stats here:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/datablog/ng-interactive/2021/sep/13/covid-19-vaccine-rollout-australia-vaccination-rate-progress-how-many-people-vaccinated-percent-tracker-australian-states-number-total-daily-live-data-stats-updates-news-schedule-tracking-chart-percentage-new-cases-today

• Like 3

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

Luckily I can speak for Metropolitan Melbourne.  Back on the 19th of Aug we ticked over 200 days of lock down. 

200 days!  That's 6.6 months.

We are fast approaching 7.6 months.

When the rest of the population manage to hit 70% of having the first dose, we get to look forward to 2hrs outside and be able to travel 10km.  Whoop de doo.

Fair enough , Melbourne (i think) is the only place in the whole of Australia that has suffered like this though isnt it? 

That could also explain the influx of residents leaving for other States. I feel for anyone living there and hand on heart think i would have jumped ship to another State before now too. The longest 'lock down' i have personally endured was 3 weeks, the actual lock down was only a week but community sport was put on hold for an extra 2 weeks,so i had to work from home those 2 weeks. That drove me mad, so i do really feel sorry for you guys.

Qld were slower with the vaccine roll out as we went a few months without Covid in the State. I think we sent our first lot of vaccines over to PNG when they were having it tough because of this. Thankfully Qld have stepped it up big time and with so many options now available to get the vaccine, from your GP to walk in purpose built ctrs they are certainly making up for lost time.

Cal x

• Like 3

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

20 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Have you missed it Rally? We missed going to a planned wedding in the UK but TBH I wasn't that bothered. Expensive, long flights, have to try and think of things to do to make it a holiday.

Last time we went to the UK we had a week on a swimtrek holiday in Milos (Greek Islands) and a week in Santorini, then went to the UK for a week, then France for 10 days and back to the UK for another week.

I loved the Greek bit, enjoyed seeing the rellies, my wifes Sister had booked the French trip and said the South of France in a Gite big enough for us, FIL, her 2 sisters and hubbys. What she meant was it was Southern France, in the middle of nowhere really, a long way from what I'd call South of France. Luckily it was near a canal where I went for a run most days. Mountains were good and we went for a paddle on a river one day, which was good. Apart from that I was longing to be back home. Looking back I should have hired a bike but thought it wasn't the right thing to do to disappear for a day or 2 on my own. You know what family holidays can be like.

Not really missed going anywhere. We don't really have a bad winter and I play golf, swim, bike, ski paddle all winter and all my toys and friends are here. Now we're in spring the weathers only going to get better so I'll not miss international travel at all.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Fair enough , Melbourne (i think) is the only place in the whole of Australia that has suffered like this though isnt it? 

That could also explain the influx of residents leaving for other States. I feel for anyone living there and hand on heart think i would have jumped ship to another State before now too. The longest 'lock down' i have personally endured was 3 weeks, the actual lock down was only a week but community sport was put on hold for an extra 2 weeks,so i had to work from home those 2 weeks. That drove me mad, so i do really feel sorry for you guys.

Yep, I'm sure Melbourne has had it the worst.  

Lockdown One: 43 days
BEGAN: March 30, 11:59pm
ENDED: May 12, 11:59pm

Lockdown Two: 111 days
BEGAN: July 8, 11:59pm
ENDED: October 27, 11:59pm

Lockdown Three: 5 days
BEGAN: February 12, 11:59pm 
ENDED: February 17, 11:59pm

Lockdown Four: 14 days
BEGAN: May 27, 11:59pm
ENDED: June 10, 11:59pm

Lockdown Five: 12 days
BEGAN: July 15, 11:59pm
ENDED: July 27, 11:59pm

Lockdown Six: 40 days and counting
BEGAN: August 5, 8:00pm
ENDS: ?

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Have you missed it Rally? We missed going to a planned wedding in the UK but TBH I wasn't that bothered. Expensive, long flights, have to try and think of things to do to make it a holiday.

Last time we went to the UK we had a week on a swimtrek holiday in Milos (Greek Islands) and a week in Santorini, then went to the UK for a week, then France for 10 days and back to the UK for another week.

I loved the Greek bit, enjoyed seeing the rellies, my wifes Sister had booked the French trip and said the South of France in a Gite big enough for us, FIL, her 2 sisters and hubbys. What she meant was it was Southern France, in the middle of nowhere really, a long way from what I'd call South of France. Luckily it was near a canal where I went for a run most days. Mountains were good and we went for a paddle on a river one day, which was good. Apart from that I was longing to be back home. Looking back I should have hired a bike but thought it wasn't the right thing to do to disappear for a day or 2 on my own. You know what family holidays can be like.

Not really missed going anywhere. We don't really have a bad winter and I play golf, swim, bike, ski paddle all winter and all my toys and friends are here. Now we're in spring the weathers only going to get better so I'll not miss international travel at all.

I have a number of things to sort out main thing is getting a rally car shipped over. Missing our grandson greatly, they were due to come out last year but with covid got canceled. My last Aunti was also due to come over last January but also canceled 
just frustrating we can’t travel as we wish. 

On 13/09/2021 at 16:50, Rallyman said:

What part of the roll out was a "joke"?

You do realise of course that to have a roll-out to begin with, then there needs to be some sort of commodity to actually "roll out".  It needs to be sitting in significant pallet loads on the tarmacs at major airports in Australia, flight after flight, and in bulk cargo proportions. So then send in the fork lift trucks and start packing the "commodity" into transport and logistic systems nation wide. That is a rollout.

Unfortunately this has never occurred. There was never any commodity to be trucked to any great degree commensurate with the 40 Million doses of Pfizer that the Morrison government had made under an agreement with Pfizer over the course of 2020. 

Pfizer ( Belgium)  mostly abandoned Australia and its 40 million unit orders as placed by the Morrison government with Pfizer Belgium up to, and now going onto 13 months ago.  Accordingly, in the vacuum, we have had to barter with other countries who have a surplus of Pfizer immunisation stocks. Those countries include, Poland, Singapore and the UK, all flooded with Pfizer stocks to the extent that they will do a deal with Australia. 

With these facts in mind, Pfizer has clearly abandoned Australia and so we have to beg borrow and steal from countries that were obviously favoured by Pfizer Belgium.     

And yet you actually think that it was a Liberal government conspiracy in holding back immunisation stocks for the Newcastle area for being a predominantly Labor enclave

Hillarious🤣.

Edited by Dusty Plains

On 13/09/2021 at 17:21, Marisawright said:

But that’s not lockdown that’s closed borders. Lockdown has a specific meaning with Covid 

It’s the same thing , lockdown is placing restrictions. Not being able to leave freely is the same , that’s how I see it. 

1 hour ago, Dusty Plains said:

What part of the roll out was a "joke"?

You do realise of course that to have a roll-out to begin with, then there needs to be some sort of commodity to actually "roll out".  It needs to be sitting in significant pallet loads on the tarmacs at major airports in Australia, flight after flight, and in bulk cargo proportions. So then send in the fork lift trucks and start packing the "commodity" into transport and logistic systems nation wide. That is a rollout.

Unfortunately this has never occurred. There was never any commodity to be trucked to any great degree commensurate with the 40 Million doses of Pfizer that the Morrison government had made under an agreement with Pfizer over the course of 2020. 

Pfizer ( Belgium)  mostly abandoned Australia and its 40 million unit orders as placed by the Morrison government with Pfizer Belgium up to, and now going onto 13 months ago.  Accordingly, in the vacuum, we have had to barter with other countries who have a surplus of Pfizer immunisation stocks. Those countries include, Poland, Singapore and the UK, all flooded with Pfizer stocks to the extent that they will do a deal with Australia. 

With these facts in mind, Pfizer has clearly abandoned Australia and so we have to beg borrow and steal from countries that were obviously favoured by Pfizer Belgium.     

And yet you actually think that it was a Liberal government conspiracy in holding back immunisation stocks for the Newcastle area for being a predominantly Labor enclave

Hillarious🤣.

I thought you were against making political rants or maybe it’s ok for yourself 🤷‍♂️

please re visit the post you are quoting me on I never posted that.  @Marisawright posted it . 

10 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

It’s the same thing , lockdown is placing restrictions. Not being able to leave freely is the same , that’s how I see it. 

Fair enough, it just makes things confusing when you use the word in discussions with other people.