SC491 window of arrival

Billie Jean

3 hours ago, Billie Jean said:

Hi all,

From the date of being awarded a 491 Visa, how long does one have before they have to arrive on Australia? What kind of a window is provided to move before the Visa is cancelled.

Thanks

Our agent has advised it’s 12 months from the date of the visa being granted (making initial entry, whether it be a holiday or move)

With it being a 5 year visa with 3 years work requirement, if you intend to apply for PR, you wouldn’t want to be leaving it much longer than 12 months IMO

2 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

You have 12 months from the date of medical or police check, which ever is the earlier to make first entry. That though can just be a holiday. You then have five years from date of gent. But, you visa should show these details. 

12 months from police or medical check? Our agent has advised from the date of visa grant.

6 minutes ago, Conyo2588 said:

12 months from police or medical check? Our agent has advised from the date of visa grant.

It has historically been from the date of the police checks/medicals but most current grants seem to just have 12 months from grant. That makes sense as they are waiving this condition anyway in the current situation. The issue with a 491, as mentioned above, is getting to Australia with sufficient time to get a job and hold it for three years to qualify for the PR stage. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Billie Jean said:

Hi all,

From the date of being awarded a 491 Visa, how long does one have before they have to arrive on Australia? What kind of a window is provided to move before the Visa is cancelled.

Thanks

Hi,

I have had 491 granted on 5 Feb and we have 12 months from date of grant to make first entry as per the grant letter.  Hope this helps.

Edited by RD there is light

11 hours ago, RD there is light said:

Hi,

I have had 491 granted on 5 Feb and we have 12 months from date of grant to make first entry as per the grant letter.  Hope this helps.

thanks RD and how long did it take from your initial EOI submission to the state to visa grant? I know this is variable and hard to predict but I'm trying to get a sense of total timeline.

59 minutes ago, Billie Jean said:

thanks RD and how long did it take from your initial EOI submission to the state to visa grant? I know this is variable and hard to predict but I'm trying to get a sense of total timeline.

So, EOI submission was around January 2020, lodged for state nomination on 24 April 2020, received invitation to apply (ITA) from SA on 28 June, submitted 491 visa application online on 21 August, visa grant 5 Feb.  I am offshore with occupation 334111 Plumber with 75 points.

11 hours ago, Billie Jean said:

Hi,

Are you still waiting for your SC491 to be approved or is it already approved and you are just waiting for the borders to open so you could enter? Your grant letter will say by when you should do an initial entry normally it's 12 months from grant date.

On 11/02/2021 at 20:03, Monster said:

Hi,

Are you still waiting for your SC491 to be approved or is it already approved and you are just waiting for the borders to open so you could enter? Your grant letter will say by when you should do an initial entry normally it's 12 months from grant date.

Visa has been granted on 5 Feb.  First entry by 5 Feb 2022.  Waiting for borders to open so we can enter

On 11/02/2021 at 08:04, Billie Jean said:

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/02/2021 at 01:12, RD there is light said:

So, EOI submission was around January 2020, lodged for state nomination on 24 April 2020, received invitation to apply (ITA) from SA on 28 June, submitted 491 visa application online on 21 August, visa grant 5 Feb.  I am offshore with occupation 334111 Plumber with 75 points.

Which state nominated you RD? I thought only onshore with the exception of some critical, mostly healthcare roles were being considered for 491. Or was this before all that was put in place?

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/03/2021 at 20:18, martl_2001 said:

Which state nominated you RD? I thought only onshore with the exception of some critical, mostly healthcare roles were being considered for 491. Or was this before all that was put in place?

Sorry for the late reply.  SA was the state nomination.  At the time of my state nomination application in April 2020, for my occupation I was permitted to apply based offshore, which I believe is now not the case.  Lots has changed since and for 491 ITA are largely for critical occupations and also need to be based onshore.

2 hours ago, RD there is light said:

Sorry for the late reply.  SA was the state nomination.  At the time of my state nomination application in April 2020, for my occupation I was permitted to apply based offshore, which I believe is now not the case.  Lots has changed since and for 491 ITA are largely for critical occupations and also need to be based onshore.

Ok thanks and congrats on your progress 👍

On 17/02/2021 at 02:47, RD there is light said:

Visa has been granted on 5 Feb.  First entry by 5 Feb 2022.  Waiting for borders to open so we can enter

You shouldn't need to wait for borders to open to everyone so you can enter. If you have a relevant visa you are entitled to enter now I had thought?

1 hour ago, bicek said:

You shouldn't need to wait for borders to open to everyone so you can enter. If you have a relevant visa you are entitled to enter now I had thought?

The 491 is classed as temporary and therefore not allowed to enter.  It's a real kick in the teeth for 491 holders, who went for the 491 on the understanding it was a solid pathway to a permanent visa. They just had to serve out their "probation" in a country town somewhere for a few years, then they'd transition to PR.   Now they are stuck overseas, unable to get started, which means that by the time they arrive, they won't have enough time to serve their time to qualify for PR.  There's no indication whether there will be any leniency.

Even worse are the 491 holders who got stranded overseas when the borders closed. The great majority moved lock, stock and barrel to Australia, because they had an assurance of PR down the track. Their family home is here, sometimes one partner and the kids are here while the husband is stuck overseas or vice versa, sometimes the whole family is overseas which means the main visa holder has lost their job and their home has been lying empty for over a year.  

I used to think the 491 was a good option for migrants but this shabby treatment has changed my whole attitude.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The 491 is classed as temporary and therefore not allowed to enter.  It's a real kick in the teeth for 491 holders, who went for the 491 on the understanding it was a solid pathway to a permanent visa. They just had to serve out their "probation" in a country town somewhere for a few years, then they'd transition to PR.   Now they are stuck overseas, unable to get started, which means that by the time they arrive, they won't have enough time to serve their time to qualify for PR.  There's no indication whether there will be any leniency.

Even worse are the 491 holders who got stranded overseas when the borders closed. The great majority moved lock, stock and barrel to Australia, because they had an assurance of PR down the track. Their family home is here, sometimes one partner and the kids are here while the husband is stuck overseas or vice versa, sometimes the whole family is overseas which means the main visa holder has lost their job and their home has been lying empty for over a year.  

I used to think the 491 was a good option for migrants but this shabby treatment has changed my whole attitude.

That's awful ☹️

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 30/03/2021 at 16:55, Marisawright said:

Even China is allowing temporary work visa holders to return:

https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/wjbxw/t1817370.shtml

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rtritudr said:

Even China is allowing temporary work visa holders to return:

https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/wjbxw/t1817370.shtml

According to China though they have beaten Covid and don't have cases. Would you trust them?

They probably need temp workers a lot more than Aus too. Personally wouldn't want to live and work in China for a gold pig.

23 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

According to China though they have beaten Covid and don't have cases. Would you trust them?

They probably need temp workers a lot more than Aus too. Personally wouldn't want to live and work in China for a gold pig.

According to the US CDC, China is rated Level 1 (COVID-19 Low), the same rating as Australia and New Zealand:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html