Too old?

LucaLeon

Hi all,

We immigrated to Australia 6 years ago and then returned to the UK. I feel we made a mistake coming back and are thinking of applying for a visa again BUT me & my husband are 44 now. Is this too old? I am interested to know peoples ages when they made the move. Our kids are 12 and 8.

My husband is a Plasterer and feels he is too old to start at the bottom again as it was a struggle to find a job when we came before. 

1 hour ago, LucaLeon said:

Hi all,

We immigrated to Australia 6 years ago and then returned to the UK. I feel we made a mistake coming back and are thinking of applying for a visa again BUT me & my husband are 44 now. Is this too old? I am interested to know peoples ages when they made the move. Our kids are 12 and 8.

My husband is a Plasterer and feels he is too old to start at the bottom again as it was a struggle to find a job when we came before. 

What visa did you hold when you were in Australia?

18 minutes ago, LucaLeon said:

Hi there, 

It was a skilled visa 189.

In which case, your first port of call is whether a Resident Return Visa (RRV) is feasible in your circumstances. This will depend on whether you have maintained any substantial ties to Australia, which are of benefit to Australia (and possible the reasons you have been away).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulhand said:

In which case, your first port of call is whether a Resident Return Visa (RRV) is feasible in your circumstances. This will depend on whether you have maintained any substantial ties to Australia, which are of benefit to Australia (and possible the reasons you have been away).

Hi Paul, we have looked into this. We haven't any family in Oz & no real evidence as to the reasons we came back. It would be annoying to go through the whole process again as nothing has changed apart from our age, but I fear we have no option? 

15 minutes ago, LucaLeon said:

Hi Paul, we have looked into this. We haven't any family in Oz & no real evidence as to the reasons we came back. It would be annoying to go through the whole process again as nothing has changed apart from our age, but I fear we have no option? 

The cut off age is 45 and I’m not sure if that’s when you apply or get granted. You’d do well to contact Paul for a review. He will be able to gauge if you have any realistic options.  Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LucaLeon said:

I agree with @Tulip1.  A good agent is the best person to advise on whether you can make a case for substantial ties etc.  No point fretting about it until you've done that.

With the RRV at least you get a reasonably quick decision (a few months).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LucaLeon said:

@LucaLeon, if a professional agent like Paul is saying an RRV is worth a try, then it's worth a try.  On paper you may not look eligible but I've been surprised how often such applications are granted.  Hire someone like Paul to do the application for you, as he'll know how to present it in the best light and give you the best chance.    It's not hugely expensive and if you can get it, it will save you a heap of money and time. 

The RRV takes a few months to process, but it's very difficult to move to Australia right now due to border closures, so you've got the time.  

You really have no other option, as you need a very high point score to get a permanent visa these days, and you've lost too many points for age.  Anyway, the cutoff for a new visa is 45. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would just add, don't make the move unless you're BOTH 100% sure you want to do it.   Migrating is hard enough when you're both enthusiastic.  If your husband is reluctant, don't pressure him to move to please you or because "it's better for our kids".   If you move and he doesn't settle, everything will be your fault, which turns into resentment and can destroy your marriage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If he struggled to find work before he will probably struggle again and I agree with the others, unless he is absolutely busting a gut to move back I think you're going to find it very hard. Talk to an agent and see if a RRV is an option but if you have to go through the visa process again you most likely will be over the age limit by the time it all gets processed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LucaLeon said:

Hi all,

I know that everyone's situation is different but when I was 42 I lost my job in Sydney and I went back to England for what was supposed to be a holiday but I stayed for 12 years.  I worked for Royal Mail in a very different job to what I was used to and then I decided to come back to Sydney when i was 54 and worked on an off till I was 65.

Assuming you can get back into Australia and other factors are favourable - home, job, finances, family, schools,  I would not have thought that 44 is too old, depending too on at what age you want to retire.

Come to think of it, my parents looked at emigrating to Canada in 1967 when they were 51 and 46. My mum had secured a teaching job but my dad was not sure where he would be able to get a job.

I don't know how trades jobs work. I thought that once you had done your apprenticeship, you become a skilled "tradie" and there is no starting at the bottom?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're all keen I wouldn't let age get in the way. I think I know where your hubby is coming from, plastering is not easy work as you get older but as far as jobs go everyone I know in the building trade is extremely busy. The government here has handed out lots of grants for new builds and home improvements. I have friends taking advantage of the grants. Lots of money being spent.

Where were you based before? Perth and WA is going well at the moment. I reckon there'll be a lot more people move here when things get back to normal.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I don't know how trades jobs work. I thought that once you had done your apprenticeship, you become a skilled "tradie" and there is no starting at the bottom?

It depends on the trade. I know that electricians, for instance, have to do a year working as an assistant to an Australian electrician for a year (at low wages) before they are allowed to work in their own right.  Other trades are similar, but I don't know about plasterers. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

If you're all keen I wouldn't let age get in the way. I think I know where your hubby is coming from, plastering is not easy work as you get older but as far as jobs go everyone I know in the building trade is extremely busy. The government here has handed out lots of grants for new builds and home improvements. I have friends taking advantage of the grants. Lots of money being spent.

Where were you based before? Perth and WA is going well at the moment. I reckon there'll be a lot more people move here when things get back to normal.

We were in Perth and would most likely go back there again as we have friends there. X

10 hours ago, LucaLeon said:

Thanks for you kind advice and information on this everyone. My hubby would be happy to go back if he could get work,  as it was always his dream in the first place.  

These days, the advice is to have enough savings to survive for the first six months, because the reality is that it can take that long to find your first job. 

One thing to consider though.   If you go to Perth, and he struggles to find work, it's going to cost you an arm and a leg to move to another state (flights are more expensive and shipping is hugely more expensive).   Whereas if you go to Victoria or NSW or Queensland, if you can't get work where you are, it's easy to get to interviews up and down the coast and doesn't cost a fortune to move.  

I would be considering Geelong (Victoria), Newcastle (NSW) or the Sunshine Coast/Brisbane in your shoes.  Avoid Melbourne and Sydney because house prices are crippling.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

On 09/02/2021 at 22:38, LucaLeon said:

Hi all,

You didn’t say how long you were here for. Not a migration agent but that may have a bearing on RRV. It’s a complicated decision if you come back and try again you may feel the same, or settle. Personally my only word of warning would be, as children get older it gets harder to move backwards. Myself, I would have gone back a few times over the years, but now I’m trapped. I won’t leave my now adult children and so I make the best of it. For me I’ll always be a nomad and have accepted my life and the feeling of always missing ‘something’ not very sure what though. Jobs come and go wherever you are. So apart from difficulty in getting work make sure you question ALL your reasons for going back the first time.

Good luck

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BusbyBoo said:

You didn’t say how long you were here for. Not a migration agent but that may have a bearing on RRV. It’s a complicated decision if you come back and try again you may feel the same, or settle. Personally my only word of warning would be, as children get older it gets harder to move backwards. Myself, I would have gone back a few times over the years, but now I’m trapped. I won’t leave my now adult children and so I make the best of it. For me I’ll always be a nomad and have accepted my life and the feeling of always missing ‘something’ not very sure what though. Jobs come and go wherever you are. So apart from difficulty in getting work make sure you question ALL your reasons for going back the first time.

Good luck

Are your adult children living at home or living independently?   The feeling of being trapped must be horrible.  

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

These days, the advice is to have enough savings to survive for the first six months, because the reality is that it can take that long to find your first job. 

One thing to consider though.   If you go to Perth, and he struggles to find work, it's going to cost you an arm and a leg to move to another state (flights are more expensive and shipping is hugely more expensive).   Whereas if you go to Victoria or NSW or Queensland, if you can't get work where you are, it's easy to get to interviews up and down the coast and doesn't cost a fortune to move.  

I would be considering Geelong (Victoria), Newcastle (NSW) or the Sunshine Coast/Brisbane in your shoes.  Avoid Melbourne and Sydney because house prices are crippling.

If they've lived in Perth before they'll have a good understanding of what's here and if he's a plasterer and has got contacts here I reckon he's more likely to find work here than the other places you mention.

Geelong doesn't have the same climate as Perth, my son lived in Newcastle for about 8 months and didn't like it much, said the surfing was better but rentals and house prices much more than here. Him and his then girlfriend were paying as much for a 1 bed, inner City apartment as he's paying here for a 2 bed in Scarboro with views down to Freo from the balcony and main bedroom.

Sunshine Coast is nice, plenty of nice places to choose from, nearest City is Brisbane and it's a fair way, Brisbane is a nice City but a long way from a beach.

• Thanks 1

On 09/02/2021 at 23:08, LucaLeon said:

Hi all,

The first option is to see if you can get RRV. If not, then you might need to do the entire process again but with your age, it might be tricky considering Australia is closed atm and only a few offshore applications are being prioritized. The age clock only stops by the time you received the invite from DIBP. 

• Thanks 1

Hi LucaLeon, when was the last time you and your partner were in Australia?

Are you concerned about the age cut-off for any potential visa application or are you concerned about your job prospects in Australia? I suggest you do a bit of job market research before making any decisions.

• Thanks 1

On 09/02/2021 at 12:08, LucaLeon said:

Hi all,

Hi you guys sound like us 

we spent 6 years in Oz and have been back for 6 years. I guess u feel like us that there is little future here, I would definitely give it a crack ur not too old to move and if u can get a visa go for it! 
we are 42 and hoping to be back Oct/ nov 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sea breeze said:

we spent 6 years in Oz and have been back for 6 years. I guess u feel like us that there is little future here, I would definitely give it a crack ur not too old to move and if u can get a visa go for it! 
we are 42 and hoping to be back Oct/ nov 

I would just caution, go back and read your posts from when you were in Australia, gritting your teeth and sticking it out until you could get your citizenship because you couldn't wait to get home. Make sure those reasons aren't still there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/02/2021 at 09:56, BusbyBoo said:

Good luck

I'm not a migration agent either, but my understanding is that if @LucaLeon arrived on a PR visa 6 years ago, and went back to the UK less than 3 years ago, then they should qualify for the RRV on the "2 years as PR out of the last 5" rule.  In that case the visa is processed immediately, within a day or two.

I'm sure they'll have discussed this with Paul by now.

Edited by GrandpaGrumble
  • Thanks 1

On 11/02/2021 at 21:29, Marisawright said:

I would just caution, go back and read your posts from when you were in Australia, gritting your teeth and sticking it out until you could get your citizenship because you couldn't wait to get home. Make sure those reasons aren't still there!

That was a longtime ago and tbh the circumstances will be very different this time 

no more working up the mines and house sharing for a start and definitely no more living in Perth! 
we were young wen we moved originally and by the time we left I actually wanted to stay I was half way thru a degree for a start ...