Thinking of moving back to Uk

Fergie

10 hours ago, Parley said:

But don't they all have to go into Hotel Quarantine.

If people go into quarantine and stay there until they test negative then in theory it should be ok.

I think the issue is only accepting a maximum number of arrival that Hotel Quarantine can cope with.

There are risks though. We had a case here it was proven that someone caught Covid in the quarantine hotel and then was released. He was actually negative when returning from India and caught it on the day he was released from the Hotel.
They think the corridors of the hotels are the riskiest parts so when leaving the room on the last day of quarantine is risky in itself.

The ventilation systems need to be upgraded in many of the hotels because of covid.

Sadly no.  If you have travelled from a country on the green list you just go about business as usual.  You are expected to do a few tests over the following days but I doubt that’s enforced or checked up on. If you arrive from a country on the amber list you have to go straight home (or wherever you will be staying) and self isolate for 10 days. Again, I’ve no idea if this is monitored but I have never read it seen anything to suggest it is.  I think it’s just a case of hope they do it but I could be wrong.  Only if you arrive from a country on the red list (which can only be a citizen/someone with the right to be here as closed to anyone else) then you have to be in hotel quarantine.  In my opinion the government delayed putting India on the red list far too long and when they announced it was going on the list  (which was announced on a Monday) they said it started on the Friday 🙄 that gave four days of anyone coming in and walking freely around the country. There are 30 flights a day between India and here.  What they were thinking is beyond me.  I think it was so wrong.  I think they will holt restrictions being lifted and I think they should. It is so annoying for people like me who have stuck to the rules for so long and now have another new worry which was so avoidable.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, newjez said:

Tend to be younger people dying now. Most older people are double vacced.

It’s still mostly older people. Certainly over half those that are dying are over 75.  It’s still very unlikely for a healthy young person to die of Covid. That’s why they’ve stopped offering AZ to anyone under 40 because the risk of dying from a blood clot (which is exceptionally low) is higher than the risk of dying with Covid in a young person.  My youngest who’s 20 had the AZ the week before the blood clot thing all came out and they stopped it for his age group. He only got it as he is a key worker. I’m not sure he should have the second jab  as he’s very healthy and fit. Whilst his chances of having a clot is incredibly small,  based on the statistics his chances of having a problem from Covid is even smaller.  It’s a tricky decision. 

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

Sadly no.  If you have travelled from a country on the green list you just go about business as usual.  You are expected to do a few tests over the following days but I doubt that’s enforced or checked up on. If you arrive from a country on the amber list you have to go straight home (or wherever you will be staying) and self isolate for 10 days. Again, I’ve no idea if this is monitored but I have never read it seen anything to suggest it is.  I think it’s just a case of hope they do it but I could be wrong.  Only if you arrive from a country on the red list (which can only be a citizen/someone with the right to be here as closed to anyone else) then you have to be in hotel quarantine.  In my opinion the government delayed putting India on the red list far too long and when they announced it was going on the list  (which was announced on a Monday) they said it started on the Friday 🙄 that gave four days of anyone coming in and walking freely around the country. There are 30 flights a day between India and here.  What they were thinking is beyond me.  I think it was so wrong.  I think they will holt restrictions being lifted and I think they should. It is so annoying for people like me who have stuck to the rules for so long and now have another new worry which was so avoidable.  

A friend of mine in Worcester has Romanian lodgers and when, they returned from Romania, the police did visit to check that they were self-isolating correctly.  I imagine they audit a certain number of arrivals.  When I arrived in March, you could not get into the UK without providing on line and printed out details of where you are going to be staying for the 10 days and printed out evidence that you had purchased the two mandatory Covid tests.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

A friend of mine in Worcester has Romanian lodgers and when, they returned from Romania, the police did visit to check that they were self-isolating correctly.  I imagine they audit a certain number of arrivals.  When I arrived in March, you could not get into the UK without providing on line and printed out details of where you are going to be staying for the 10 days and printed out evidence that you had purchased the two mandatory Covid tests.

That’s reassuring to know. Did they check up on you?  I’ve heard many say they don’t so perhaps like you say, they cherry pick a few.  Sadly human nature shows that many selfish people will ignore the rules. 

Edited by Tulip1

26 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

That’s reassuring to know. Did they check up on you?  I’ve heard many say they don’t so perhaps like you say, they cherry pick a few.  Sadly human nature shows that many selfish people will ignore the rules. 

No they didn't but I was in rural Wales and also coming from Australia so less likely to be risk to others....

I was in the same position as Loopylu, having to fill in a passenger locator form to show where I  would be staying and provide the proof of the 2 Covid tests.  As far as I recall the only people allowed directly into the UK were those from the Isle of Man, Channel Islands and bizarrely Myanmar!  We had a visit from a NHS track and trace official on day 5 who asked for our passports to confirm who we said we were.  He did say the visits were very random.  In one case he had to check on 2 people who were actually in a group of 4 but his brief was just to check the 2 on his list! 

6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

It’s still mostly older people. Certainly over half those that are dying are over 75.  It’s still very unlikely for a healthy young person to die of Covid. That’s why they’ve stopped offering AZ to anyone under 40 because the risk of dying from a blood clot (which is exceptionally low) is higher than the risk of dying with Covid in a young person.  My youngest who’s 20 had the AZ the week before the blood clot thing all came out and they stopped it for his age group. He only got it as he is a key worker. I’m not sure he should have the second jab  as he’s very healthy and fit. Whilst his chances of having a clot is incredibly small,  based on the statistics his chances of having a problem from Covid is even smaller.  It’s a tricky decision. 

Not really. If he didn't have a clot the first time, it's extremely unlikely he will have it second time.

7 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

I was in the same position as Loopylu, having to fill in a passenger locator form to show where I  would be staying and provide the proof of the 2 Covid tests.  As far as I recall the only people allowed directly into the UK were those from the Isle of Man, Channel Islands and bizarrely Myanmar!  We had a visit from a NHS track and trace official on day 5 who asked for our passports to confirm who we said we were.  He did say the visits were very random.  In one case he had to check on 2 people who were actually in a group of 4 but his brief was just to check the 2 on his list! 

Myanmar has just had a military coup and people have been persecuted and killed. So I'm sure that is why they are allowed safe entry. They would have to be a British Citizen though as well I expect.

20 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

I think the army are testing rather than vaccinating.  The second dose is being brought forward from 12 weeks to 8 weeks so I shall be getting mine in 4 weeks.

The army at the moment are only assisting with logistics. Testing is being carried out by Test and Trace. I am a Covid tester about to go to work at one of the outbreak areas. 

20 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

I think the army are testing rather than vaccinating.  The second dose is being brought forward from 12 weeks to 8 weeks so I shall be getting mine in 4 weeks.

The army at the moment are only assisting with logistics. Testing is being carried out by Test and Trace. I am a Covid tester about to go to work at one of the outbreak areas. 

53 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

It's political.  Ideologically, the Liberals are against welfare and are always looking for reasons to cut it. They seized on the need to balance the budget as a great excuse.

Not only welfare, but the liberals/conservative governments prefer small governments. So they like to reduce expenditure. That and constant government spending as the economy recovers will compete against private spending and will cause inflation. Too much inflation is bad.

The austerity by George Osborne after the GFC was completely unnecessary and set the UK back economically from the USA. We should have spent our way out of the recession.

In general, the government should spend and invest during a recession and cut back spending as the economy grows. But what is politically attractive and what is economically attractive aren't necessarily the same thing.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cots said:

The news in the Uk will tell that you around 20,000 people flew via Turkey from India to avoid detection.

The Channel Islands and the IOM are part of the common travel area hence free movement.

Why wasn't turkey on the red list too?

This is a ridiculous situation.

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's political.  Ideologically, the Liberals are against welfare and are always looking for reasons to cut it. They seized on the need to balance the budget as a great excuse.

Reading the paper this weekend all the economists and bankers are worried about debt and how and when it's going to be paid back. Tax hikes looks like the most popular option.

8 hours ago, newjez said:

Not only welfare, but the liberals/conservative governments prefer small governments. So they like to reduce expenditure. That and constant government spending as the economy recovers will compete against private spending and will cause inflation. Too much inflation is bad.

The austerity by George Osborne after the GFC was completely unnecessary and set the UK back economically from the USA. We should have spent our way out of the recession.

In general, the government should spend and invest during a recession and cut back spending as the economy grows. But what is politically attractive and what is economically attractive aren't necessarily the same thing.

According to your theory governments should just spend spend spend all the time.

53 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

According to your theory governments should just spend spend spend all the time.

Correct.  Exactly what Menzies used to say.  You need to get your head around govt finance, it isn’t like a household budget.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

Correct.  Exactly what Menzies used to say.  You need to get your head around govt finance, it isn’t like a household budget.    

Countries don't get old and retire.

But there is a limit to what government can spend, and that limit is inflation. As we are finding out now, it is possible that the world spent too much on covid.

If we are facing inflation that will mean raising interest rates. If that causes stagflation then we are stuffed. A government can't spend their way out of stagflation.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2021 at 18:04, newjez said:

Not really. If he didn't have a clot the first time, it's extremely unlikely he will have it second time.

Extremely unlikely yes but some have had the clot after the second jab, being just fine after the first one.  I think with what’s happening here with the new variant he will have it but can you imagine if your young, healthy child has a jab and died of a clot. It’s happened to some parents out there and it will happen to others. It’s got to be someone. 

Edited by Tulip1

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Extremely unlikely yes but some have had the clot after the second jab, being just fine after the first one.  I think with what’s happening here with the new variant he will have it but can you imagine if your young, healthy child has a jab and died of a clot. It’s happened to some parents out there and it will happen to others. It’s got to be someone. 

4 out of thirty million with no deaths.

Seriously?