Thinking of moving back to Uk

Fergie

Watching sky news this morning and they are worried about the "Indian variant" of covid doubling cases in Bolton in a week. Eid coming up too so things aren't going to get better. They interviewed an Indian guy and he said people think they don't need to wear masks and aren't doing the right thing.

I don't suppose the UK thought of stopping travel with India? 

The UK has a long road to go yet, wait till people start going on holiday, they will all feign surprise at the rise in cases. After all this time some people still think it's a bit of flu.

• Sad 1

On 31/03/2021 at 12:46, newjez said:

I despair at the number of people who think a country runs it's economy the same way a private household runs it's housekeeping budget.

Juging by the worries about debt after the budget it's not too far away from a private household. You can only pretend debt doesn't matter, as some households do, for a certain time. Eventually it gets too much to ignore.

I watched the BBC news last night and apparently the vaccine is reducing severity of people (Drs actually) who are catching covid , so there appears to be protection from the Indian strain, dose t stop you getting it, but symptoms milder and no hospitalization 

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Juging by the worries about debt after the budget it's not too far away from a private household. You can only pretend debt doesn't matter, as some households do, for a certain time. Eventually it gets too much to ignore.

I suggest you educate yourself about govt finance, it isn’t run like a household budget.  For starters debt and deficit aren’t the same thing.  Then consider where they ‘borrowed’ the money from…

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Despite every member of the general public clamouring for it, the Govt didn't act quickly enough. AGAIN. But hey, we're used to it now.

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Watching sky news this morning and they are worried about the "Indian variant" of covid doubling cases in Bolton in a week. Eid coming up too so things aren't going to get better. They interviewed an Indian guy and he said people think they don't need to wear masks and aren't doing the right thing.

The UK has a long road to go yet, wait till people start going on holiday, they will all feign surprise at the rise in cases. After all this time some people still think it's a bit of flu.

The U.K. stopped travel from India weeks ago apart from U.K. citizens but they have to do hotel quarantine. These things somehow find a way it seems. 

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

If people follow the rules Eid shouldn’t matter.  I’m not saying it won’t cause issues but it only will if people are behaving badly and against the rules. 

Edited by Tulip1

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

If people follow the rules Eid shouldn’t matter.  I’m not saying it won’t cause issues but it only will if people are behaving badly and against the rules. 

They interviewed an Indian bloke from Bolton or Burnley, couldn't speak a word of English but he reckons people in the area are choosing not to bother with masks now and he reckons Eid will have them going out visiting.

The cases are 2.5k a day but that's not the main issue, the main issue is keeping people out of hospital and keeping the death rate down. The vaccination program has achieved that. The testing rates are also very high at the moment so that is supposedly keeping the infection rate up.

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

They interviewed an Indian bloke from Bolton or Burnley, couldn't speak a word of English but he reckons people in the area are choosing not to bother with masks now and he reckons Eid will have them going out visiting.

I have close family who live in Bolton. They have lived next door to a beautiful Asian family for years and about a month ago my family member asked the lady why it is so bad in a lot of the more Asian areas of Bolton, she said it was because a lot of people 'pretend' they don't understand English so they don't have to follow the rules/ restrictions put in place. 

It is sad but also quite scary knowing i have elderly at risk relatives there, thank fully they have had the Covid Jabs.

Cal x

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

No it doesn't.

The Australian government can print as many dollars as it wants. The only constraint is inflation.

9 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

The U.K. stopped travel from India weeks ago apart from U.K. citizens but they have to do hotel quarantine. These things somehow find a way it seems. 

Yes, weeks ago. But they were aware of the problem months ago. And they announced the restrictions would happen in a week's time. Giving people plenty of time to travel.

This was so avoidable. But money talks.

4 hours ago, newjez said:

Yes, weeks ago. But they were aware of the problem months ago. And they announced the restrictions would happen in a week's time. Giving people plenty of time to travel.

This was so avoidable. But money talks.

They certainly left it far too late, it’s quite shameful.  Many thousands arrived from when they announced it on the Monday with a closure date of the Friday.  It’s mind boggling as to what they were thinking. 

13 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Sadly I don’t doubt that for a second. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

They certainly left it far too late, it’s quite shameful.  Many thousands arrived from when they announced it on the Monday with a closure date of the Friday.  It’s mind boggling as to what they were thinking. 

But don't they all have to go into Hotel Quarantine.

If people go into quarantine and stay there until they test negative then in theory it should be ok.

I think the issue is only accepting a maximum number of arrival that Hotel Quarantine can cope with.

There are risks though. We had a case here it was proven that someone caught Covid in the quarantine hotel and then was released. He was actually negative when returning from India and caught it on the day he was released from the Hotel.
They think the corridors of the hotels are the riskiest parts so when leaving the room on the last day of quarantine is risky in itself.

The ventilation systems need to be upgraded in many of the hotels because of covid.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, s713 said:

The cases are 2.5k a day but that's not the main issue, the main issue is keeping people out of hospital and keeping the death rate down. The vaccination program has achieved that. The testing rates are also very high at the moment so that is supposedly keeping the infection rate up.

That's a bit Trump-esque.....we've only got high cases because we do more testing.....No, you've got high cases because you've got high cases. Duh. 

If I was in the UK is be continuing to be very cautious. Seems to make no sense to lift restrictions when it's still around. Not much choice though due to the monumental f up that was made of managing the pandemic. Another wave on the way......fear for the UK. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

That's a bit Trump-esque.....we've only got high cases because we do more testing.....No, you've got high cases because you've got high cases. Duh. 

If I was in the UK is be continuing to be very cautious. Seems to make no sense to lift restrictions when it's still around. Not much choice though due to the monumental f up that was made of managing the pandemic. Another wave on the way......fear for the UK

Hopefully not. More than half the country have received at least one vaccination dose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Hopefully not. More than half the country have received at least one vaccination dose.

I know and that's what they're banking on. I guess time will tell. They're deploying the army to give more shots and reducing the dose interval. I hope it works. Can you imagine a scenario in Australia where restrictions were being lifted at the same point? 

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Around 10 to 12 deaths per day which sounds very good to me for the whole of the UK. Very elderly people usually.

It's all relative I suppose. Don't forget they're in lockdown still..after many months. You'd expect numbers to be very low. Fingers crossed. They've certainly done well with the vaccine rollout. Not much choice, a bigger incentive to do it quickly than here. 

Edited by HappyHeart
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Parley said:

But don't they all have to go into Hotel Quarantine.

If people go into quarantine and stay there until they test negative then in theory it should be ok.

I think the issue is only accepting a maximum number of arrival that Hotel Quarantine can cope with.

There are risks though. We had a case here it was proven that someone caught Covid in the quarantine hotel and then was released. He was actually negative when returning from India and caught it on the day he was released from the Hotel.
They think the corridors of the hotels are the riskiest parts so when leaving the room on the last day of quarantine is risky in itself.

The ventilation systems need to be upgraded in many of the hotels because of covid.

No. They do now, but not then. That's the problem.