What do I need to know/bring from my UK secondary school before applying to an Oz secondary school?

Rosie R

Hi guys! 

This isn't super serious as I'm sure we'll manage, but I thought I would ask just in case I can get some firsthand tips and advice!

I am due to complete UK highschool / my GCSEs around june/july time this year, and because of situations at home here in the UK, I believe I will be moving to Australia after I finish my GCSEs (so I will be 16).

I was just wondering (as I know GCSEs don't really transfer well in the Australian education system) what sort of information/reports should I have from my UK school when applying to an Australian secondary school? What sort of information will they be likely to ask me to get a grasp of my skills etc. as a student? Progress reports? Teacher reports? Is it worth keeping a record of my assessment grades? Should I even bring physical/digital copies of actual assessments/tests? 

Any info would be greatly appreciated just to give me an idea of the sort of things Australian secondary schools will be looking for.

Also; I think I will be moving to somewhere in NSW so if you have any info specifically for secondary schools in that state, feel free -- however any general info that will most likely apply to the majority of schools in Oz would be great.

Thanks! 🙂

1 hour ago, Rosie R said:

Hi guys! 

This isn't super serious as I'm sure we'll manage, but I thought I would ask just in case I can get some firsthand tips and advice!

I am due to complete UK highschool / my GCSEs around june/july time this year, and because of situations at home here in the UK, I believe I will be moving to Australia after I finish my GCSEs (so I will be 16).

I was just wondering (as I know GCSEs don't really transfer well in the Australian education system) what sort of information/reports should I have from my UK school when applying to an Australian secondary school? What sort of information will they be likely to ask me to get a grasp of my skills etc. as a student? Progress reports? Teacher reports? Is it worth keeping a record of my assessment grades? Should I even bring physical/digital copies of actual assessments/tests? 

Any info would be greatly appreciated just to give me an idea of the sort of things Australian secondary schools will be looking for.

Also; I think I will be moving to somewhere in NSW so if you have any info specifically for secondary schools in that state, feel free -- however any general info that will most likely apply to the majority of schools in Oz would be great.

Thanks! 🙂

Do you have any control over the date you are leaving?

Are you thinking of going to university?

It's been a long time since I've been at school in Australia, but I would have thought that you would want to go into year eleven.

Also, when are you thinking of moving? School years in Australia begin in January.

You’ll need to start yr 11 in 2022. I note you turn 16 in June and going to NSW so that won’t be too bad (NSW are the most exam oriented state with HSC).  GCSEs mean diddly squat and will only have any value should you return to U.K. for further education. 

Aussie schools probably won’t give a toss about what you’ve done in U.K., but bring anything you want to cherish not because anyone is going to read it. They’ll just Chuck you in with all the other kids in year 10 when you arrive. You’ll choose your yr 11 subjects at the end of the year. Only time you really need to bring assessments is if you have a disability which would require additional support in school and I’m guessing that’s not your situation. 

You’ll go to the HS in whose catchment area you live unless you go private (there’s usually a parallel Catholic system or a more expensive independent option close by) 

8 hours ago, newjez said:

Do you have any control over the date you are leaving?

Are you thinking of going to university?

It's been a long time since I've been at school in Australia, but I would have thought that you would want to go into year eleven.

Also, when are you thinking of moving? School years in Australia begin in January.

Unfortunately a lot of things are up in the air at the moment, so we don't have a date, and probably won't for a while. The aim is to move before the end of this year, however, and preferably before September.

I haven't thought much about whether I want to go to university yet, however it is probably something I would consider. 🙂

1 hour ago, Rosie R said:

Unfortunately a lot of things are up in the air at the moment, so we don't have a date, and probably won't for a while. The aim is to move before the end of this year, however, and preferably before September.

I haven't thought much about whether I want to go to university yet, however it is probably something I would consider. 🙂

You don't HAVE to go to UNI and you DON'T have to return to school to do Year 11 and 12. It will all depend what you are looking at for a career. Lots of kids drop of school at Yr 10 and go to work or get an apprentership, it all depends what you want to do.

Cal x

• Like 1

I would bring everything and print it to take to interviews. Only the good stuff obviously, not the ones that say, could have tried harder😆.

The first step is getting to interview stage and I think any decent exam results or letters from anyone, saying what a good worker or great person you are can help with your resume. Sometimes employers might ring for a phone interview, so you're phone manner helps. A good positive, can do attitude helps a lot here.

Same goes for interviews, be smart, if you have tatts cover them up, be positive, cheerful.

There's a big push to get females into roles here that have been male dominated for years. I know a lot of successful female software engineers, my son has worked with some girl sparkies, there are a lot of ladies working in the mining and oil and gas sector. 

At the moment being female gives you a bit of an advantage as big companies are being pushed to even up the numbers. Even the police and fire brigade are recruiting at the moment and they're making it pretty clear in their adverts they'd like a few ladies to apply.

Good luck. I guess the covid situation isn't helping your planning.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, calNgary said:

You don't HAVE to go to UNI and you DON'T have to return to school to do Year 11 and 12. It will all depend what you are looking at for a career. Lots of kids drop of school at Yr 10 and go to work or get an apprentership, it all depends what you want to do.

Cal x

I would have thought the% not finishing year 11 and 12 would be very low. What % is lots?

• Like 1

I haven't gone looking at Stats as it doesnt affect me personally, just going off my kids school, personal experience in the work force and friends kids, not all kids want to attend further education or get a desk job. I just wanted the OP to know they don't HAVE to start Yr 11 if they dont want.

As trade colleges and school based traineeships are being introduced more and more into YR 10 more kids seem to be finishing after Yr 10 and go full time on their apprentiship / traineeship, some continue through YR 11 and 12 still doing their traineeship 1day a week , it all depends on the chosen career path but going on to Uni isnt a be all and all for everyone.

Cal x

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newjez said:

I would have thought the% not finishing year 11 and 12 would be very low. What % is lots?

I think you are right, some go through yrs 11 & 12 but with a trade focus as part of their yr 12 assessments.  In general, an employer tends to ask for year 12 results if there isnt a trade qualification but even getting an apprenticeship these days they often ask for year 12. As the school leaving age is universally 17, I think, you might just as well slog on and get year 12, what you do with it after that is up to you.  

• Like 1