Qualifications for Construction Site Manager?

LJL

Hi All,

I’m exploring the best route for a visa and would like to know if anyone has information on what Vetasses require in the way of qualifications for site managers.

I can always apply as a carpenter, as I have NVQ 3 in carpentry and joinery (10 years exp as a carpenter), but I have been a site manager for the past 7 years and would be seeking a management role in Aus.

I have CIOB level 4 in site management, SMSTS, First Aid etc. Is this enough?

Thanks

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Your focus needs to be on what you need to do to get a visa.  Once you've got a permanent visa and you've arrived in Australia, you can do any kind of work you like - it doesn't matter what occupation you used to get the visa. 

Thanks for the reply, however, don’t I ‘technically’ need to have been working as a carpenter recently?

3 hours ago, LJL said:

Thanks for the reply, however, don’t I ‘technically’ need to have been working as a carpenter recently?

For a positive skills assessment, you ‘actually’ need to have been working in your occupation for 12 months in the last 3 years: “Your evidence must show you have worked in your occupation for at least 12 months within the last 3 years.”

What occupation do you think you map to?

Based on your previous posts, you have already held a permanent visa. Have you looked properly at an RRV?

Edited by paulhand
  • Like 2

@LJL, if Paul has looked at your other posts and thinks an RRV is worth a try, then I'd be contacting him and hiring him to submit one for you.  It may not look good on paper, but we've seen people get a RRV on apparently flimsy grounds before. 

Currently, you won't get far with any other visa application anyway as things are at a standstill due to Covid.  

Edited by Marisawright

On 06/02/2021 at 21:25, LJL said:

Hi All,

I’m exploring the best route for a visa and would like to know if anyone has information on what Vetasses require in the way of qualifications for site managers.

I can always apply as a carpenter, as I have NVQ 3 in carpentry and joinery (10 years exp as a carpenter), but I have been a site manager for the past 7 years and would be seeking a management role in Aus.

Thanks

Hi LJL, do you know which visa you are going to apply for and under what skilled occupation? Have you checked if you are eligible for the visa?

To answer your question, Vetassess should have information on their website about what qualifications are required for a skills assessment application. If not, you can try calling or emailing them.

On 06/02/2021 at 05:25, LJL said:

Hi All,

Thanks

TRA requires that you've been employed as a carpenter in the last 12 months. You best be able to prove all of your claimed experience and not simply qualifications, it's a daunting excise for most to be perfectly honest. I recieved an invitation to apply as a carpenter 12 months ago, and gathering all the evidence was a cumbersome task to say the least. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2021 at 05:29, Domo said:

TRA requires that you've been employed as a carpenter in the last 12 months. You best be able to prove all of your claimed experience and not simply qualifications, it's a daunting excise for most to be perfectly honest. I recieved an invitation to apply as a carpenter 12 months ago, and gathering all the evidence was a cumbersome task to say the least. 

Hi Domo/Jia,

Apologies for the late reply. I didn't get any notifications that there were more replies.

I've been through the visa process for perm residency previously (13 years ago - Carpenter). However, I returned to the UK (10 years ago), and have now started looking into the visa process again.

My circumstances have changed, as I now have children and I'm now a construction site manager (8 years exp). 

I have looked into the RRV (as mentioned above by Paul Hand) but the chances of achieving this is very low and as my circumstances have changed, I would need to go through the visa process for the rest of my family anyway. 

I will make contact with Vetassess on qualifications, as there is nothing on their website that gives a definitive answer.

It would be good to hear from any site managers who have gone through the process already. Anyone know of someone on here?

Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I am currently working as a temporary works coordinator/construction coordinator.

IOSH managing safely certificate 

Temporary works coordinator certificate 

NVQ level 6 in construction management certificate.

are these transferable in Australia or will I need to do further training.

and can I do the training in the uk before I move over in February 2022

On 20/03/2021 at 02:39, Waldo said:

Hi

I am currently working as a temporary works coordinator/construction coordinator.

IOSH managing safely certificate 

Temporary works coordinator certificate 

NVQ level 6 in construction management certificate.

are these transferable in Australia or will I need to do further training.

and can I do the training in the uk before I move over in February 2022

I doubt they would be recognised , I know the safety is not 

you many have to do more training once here, 

Its very different here compared to uk , with every trade or I should say main trades being licensed , carpentry , bricklayer, plumbing and electrical ,and a builders licence for residential works  and while uk qualifications help you on your way to get a licence you will need to do more training to gain one 

I don’t even know if construction manger is on the list. 
You need to see which visa you can apply for. 
good luck 👍