EOI for Global Talent Independent (GTI)

scondes

G'day, 

I'd like to submit an EOI for the Global Talent Independent visa and wanted to talk to people who have been through this process.  

I'm currently not sure which sector I fit best under, although I am sure I would be considered a distinguished talent. I am a cognitive scientist currently working as a researcher at a university in Australia and have completed my Ph.D. in the last three years. My research area does not directly come under MedTech or Data Science but straddles these two sectors. 

Does anyone else have experience of this?

Cheers

9 hours ago, scondes said:

G'day, 

I'd like to submit an EOI for the Global Talent Independent visa and wanted to talk to people who have been through this process.  

I'm currently not sure which sector I fit best under, although I am sure I would be considered a distinguished talent. I am a cognitive scientist currently working as a researcher at a university in Australia and have completed my Ph.D. in the last three years. My research area does not directly come under MedTech or Data Science but straddles these two sectors. 

Does anyone else have experience of this?

Cheers

Unless the Oz definition is significantly less than the US definition I don't think being a researcher with a 3 year old PhD is enough to qualify as a distinguished talent. There are over 3 million PhD holders in the US alone, thats a lot of distinguished talent - more than 10% of the Australian population

Hi,

Coincidentally, I was on a webinar last week specifically discussing this GT Visa.

Whilst the presenter acknowledged a "high bar" of achievement/criteria is required, for the duration of this (actively pushed by the Gvmt) programme, there are applicants who have been accepted who "do not appear to come within the published details."
It is "policy-driven" which apparently provides a significant degree of flexibility if you are or have been Internationally recognised.

In November a lot of the earlier restrictions were removed, making it more attractive to submit an EOI.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Hi again Scondes,

Just wanted to follow up - I was in a Migration discussion on Friday afternoon and raised this Visa criteria again with one of the experts (an agent who has worked for the Aus Immi Dept both here in Australia and for the Embassy in the UK) he confirmed the large number of Global Talent Visas which have been granted in the past 12months which would - "at first glance" - not appear to 'fit' the strict criteria.

Re. my earlier message (above) it would appear a significant degree of flexibility is being shown.
Good luck in your application 🙂

• Like 2

On 08/02/2021 at 13:07, scondes said:

Thank you, Susan. Most helpful!

Hi,

For GTI, you need to submit an EOI using the Global Talent Contact Form. Your will get notified if your EOI has been successful or not. I'd suggest try submitting an EOI first and see if you will meet the GTI parameters.

Note that, GTI may sound that you need to have an exemplary career, qualifications, thesis, etc. but you will be surprised that others got approved without even having a PHD.

Goodluck

• Like 1