Advice on Choosing a Car Evaluator (Sydney)

Stormo

My car is currently on the ocean waves making its way to Australia. It was £34,500 in 2018 and so arguably  it could be valued at more than $66k which is the threshold for the luxury car tax.

I would like to get my own inspector to evaluate the car to make sure that they take wear and tear in to account (and the fact that it was in an accident in Dec 2018 that nearly wrote it off. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for people or companies that have evaluated their cars rather than relying on the inspectors from the shipping company?

Finally, registration: this caught me by surprise, I have read recently that to simple REGISTER the vehicle and get a number plate I will have to pay $1,350, plus $5 for every $100. That's another 5% on top of 5% Customs Duty and 10% GST! Surely not???!?!?!?!?! 

8 hours ago, Stormo said:

My car is currently on the ocean waves making its way to Australia. It was £34,500 in 2018 and so arguably  it could be valued at more than $66k which is the threshold for the luxury car tax.

I would like to get my own inspector to evaluate the car to make sure that they take wear and tear in to account (and the fact that it was in an accident in Dec 2018 that nearly wrote it off. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for people or companies that have evaluated their cars rather than relying on the inspectors from the shipping company?

Finally, registration: this caught me by surprise, I have read recently that to simple REGISTER the vehicle and get a number plate I will have to pay $1,350, plus $5 for every $100. That's another 5% on top of 5% Customs Duty and 10% GST! Surely not???!?!?!?!?! 

The high cost is the main reason most people don't ship their cars.

Plus inspection and ensuring it conforms to Aus Regis before it can be registered.  We used an agent to sort this for us who posts on the forums as Iron Chef.  All the costs were explained to us beforehand so we could work out if it was worth it.  I assume you must had read all this when you completed the paperwork for importing the car?

Hi rammygirl, I had read some posts on here and conducted other research which all indicated that it would be worth the costs for a high value car because of the increased sale value.

The only surprise was this registration fee which I had not picked up on.

You mention "plus inspection" is that a company name? If so could you share a link? 

No your car will need to go through a compliance process where it will be inspected and approved. This is done before registration. 
As I said we used an agent who knew what was required and booked it all for us.  The initial registration fee was high as I remember but it will vary from state to state. 

Edited by rammygirl

On 01/02/2021 at 23:54, Stormo said:

We have been doing customs valuations for 6 years now, and we know what can and can't be deducted to bring the customs value down without falling foul of Customs themselves. It's all done online - there's no need to physically inspect the car any more. Anyway, feel free to PM me if you'd like to work out what it's currently worth.

• Like 1