Are we mad... lol

Cots

5 minutes ago, Parley said:

I hope you aren't trying to be nasty when people are taking the time to look up valuable information for you.

I'm happy for you that you are not concerned about the cost of quarantine.

What happens if one of them tests positive? Do they extend the stay? Is the price fixed, or is there potential for it to go up if they have an extended stay?

I’m expressing my thanks at your concern 😃 

I had already found the information on quarantine but it’s not specific as to where and how they place you somewhere. We’re not pleased at the cost of quarantine but factored it in as part of our moving costs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, newjez said:

What happens if one of them tests positive? Do they extend the stay? Is the price fixed, or is there potential for it to go up if they have an extended stay?

You can't leave until you are negative of course. Wouldn't be much point otherwise. Not sure whether the cost would go up or not.

43 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Queensland.

I don't follow the Queensland market, but I can see it's gone up sharply.

I'd buy in Perth as it's been stagnant for the last ten years, and is starting to move up. But that doesn't help you much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

You can't leave until you are negative of course. Wouldn't be much point otherwise. Not sure whether the cost would go up or not.

The cost is fixed in Australia for the quarantine required so if it goes over 14 days because of a +ve test then the price stays fixed (unlike the UK quarantine hotels which charge for each day of residency).

As for costs, the costs are based on your family/party makeup not the rooms you occupy. So there would be no difference in the cost between (in this case) all 5 squeezing into one room or being split across two rooms. Unless of course you had demanded two rooms when they insisted one room had enough beds to easily accomodate you all (requesting is ok, demanding is not).

Also if you do go for the two rooms approach (unless they are inter-connected) remember that you need one over 18 in each room

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cots said:

Well, we’re doing it, our house goes to court at the end of April, flights booked for early May, Qatar as recommended, the movers are booked and furniture is up for sale!

Will they put us 2 rooms st quarantine with there being 5 of us? Please say they will 😆!

Congratulations, we came last June as a family of 4 and they gave us interconnecting rooms (we didn't ask). Good job they did or quarantine would have been hard work.

We set the kids up in there own room and we had the other. We also packed the playstation which kept my eldest busy.

We didn't fight the jetlag so the first 3/4 days went fast, then we just started making lists for houses and schools etc, which kept us busy.

Edited by Lavers
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

The cost is fixed in Australia for the quarantine required so if it goes over 14 days because of a +ve test then the price stays fixed (unlike the UK quarantine hotels which charge for each day of residency).

As for costs, the costs are based on your family/party makeup not the rooms you occupy. So there would be no difference in the cost between (in this case) all 5 squeezing into one room or being split across two rooms. Unless of course you had demanded two rooms when they insisted one room had enough beds to easily accomodate you all (requesting is ok, demanding is not).

Also if you do go for the two rooms approach (unless they are inter-connected) remember that you need one over 18 in each room

That's pretty much the way I understood it, and according to my wife (who went through the process) they will try and stick families into suits if available. If you test positive at any point, they march you down to Circular Quay and throw you into the harbour for the sharks... or transfer you to a hospital hotel if you're lucky.

@Ausvisitor did you arrive yet?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

That is not what the link i provided shows for Queensland. 2 rooms are more expensive if you look at the fee examples.

Are you saying the Queensland Government are incorrect? https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/health-alerts/coronavirus-covid-19/protect-yourself-others/quarantine/fees-payment#Fees-0

Click on the more details link.

Edited by Parley

1 hour ago, Wanderer Returns said:

That's pretty much the way I understood it, and according to my wife (who went through the process) they will try and stick families into suits if available. If you test positive at any point, they march you down to Circular Quay and throw you into the harbour for the sharks... or transfer you to a hospital hotel if you're lucky.

@Ausvisitor did you arrive yet?

Are you assuming every state does it the same way as NSW ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Parley said:

If you test positive you may be moved to a different hotel (so-called hot hotel for positive cases) or into a hospital if you're in Queensland.  The extended stay is free for the time being.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Why would anyone want to go to any other state...

Parley's question is perfectly rational.   All states have quarantine facilities.  They are administered by state health departments and therefore can vary in their procedures.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2021 at 07:44, Marisawright said:

Actually this is not true, and it's the whole point.  For people who don't have much deposit, or people just starting out with their first property, the mortgage payment is considerably more than a rental payment would be.   I vividly recall buying my first property.   Getting the deposit wasn't a big deal for me, but the thought of suddenly having to find a much bigger payment each month was daunting. 

As well as the rental payment being less than the mortgage, the renter has no rates or maintenance to worry about, so they have a lot more spare cash every month.   The problem is that the average renter uses that to enjoy themselves rather than investing, and it takes real discipline to resist that temptation.  Which is why buying a property is safer for most people, because the mortgage and rates and maintenance gobble up all their spare cash,  removing the temptationj to spend it.  And that pays off down the line, as you point out. But it's only because it removes that temptation, not because it's more financially beneficial per se.   Ten or twenty years down the track, it may appear that the renter is worse off because the rent has got higher but the mortgage has stayed the same - but IF the renter has been disciplined, they will have a substantial investment fund, so it balances out.  There are plenty of studies to demonstrate that. 

So, the benefits of home ownership are (1) that intangible feeling of having your own nest, which matters to some people more than others, and (2) forcing people to save, because otherwise, most of us waste our money.    A financially-disciplined person who prefers flexibility can be just as well-off as a renter as a homeowner.  And what suits may change over a person's lifetime.

But I'm conscious we're straying a long way from the OP's post.  The OP isn't talking about renting in order to invest:  she's talking about renting because they'll be too poor to buy.  Not a good prospect, especially in your mid-forties with kids to raise.

Depends where you rent. My eldest has a nice 2 bed apartment in Scarborough with great views, nice big balcony, the roof has brilliant views over scarbs beach, table tennis room, spa, big lounge chairs, beds, umbrellas. He could get a big mortgage for the rent he pays. He has a flatmate, they are both FIFO so can afford it easily. I saw him yesterday though and he's saving up for a deposit. He wants to stay around Scarborough though as there are so many of his friends around there and plenty to do. At the moment anything is hard to come by, rental or buy, as most of the mining and oil and gas companies have made it mandatory for their FIFO employees to be WA residents.

House prices and rental prices are going nuts. Generally FIFO guys are on good money and are outbidding each other.

13 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Depends where they want to live. Wouldn't want 2 lots of quarantine.

I think the main point is where their flight will land.

Not 100% sure but if first stop is Sydney, and they have to catch a domestic flight onto Brisbane,  then they may have to first quarantine in Sydney before flying on to Brisbane.

If their international flight lands in Brisbane then Qld quarantine applies.

Maybe it is cheaper to quarantine in Sydney based on some of the comments posted in this thread.

Edited by Parley

1 hour ago, Parley said:

I think the main point is where their flight will land.

Not 100% sure but if first stop is Sydney, and they have to catch a domestic flight onto Brisbane,  then they may have to first quarantine in Sydney before flying on to Brisbane.

If their international flight lands in Brisbane then Qld quarantine applies.

Maybe it is cheaper to quarantine in Sydney based on some of the comments posted in this thread.

If you transit straight through the airport then you wouldn't need to quarantine.

3 minutes ago, Lavers said:

If you transit straight through the airport then you wouldn't need to quarantine.

I'm not sure that's true.  At one point, the rule was definitely that you had to quarantine at your first point of entry into Australia, regardless of where you planned to end up.   It may have changed now but worth checking.

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'm not sure that's true.  At one point, the rule was definitely that you had to quarantine at your first point of entry into Australia, regardless of where you planned to end up.   It may have changed now but worth checking.

Still correct. you are required to quarantine in the State in which your international flight lands.  Cannot transit straight to a domestic flight. 

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Still correct. you are required to quarantine in the State in which your international flight lands.  Cannot transit straight to a domestic flight. 

We arrived back in Australia last August. Our flight was booked Singapore to Brisbane. But, our plane landed in Sydney first, we got off and were led to another departure gate, we then boarded another plane and flew onto Brisbane, where we did our quarantine. 

However, that flight was an international flight ( it was flying back to Singapore) and was not a domestic flight. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AliQ said:

We arrived back in Australia last August. Our flight was booked Singapore to Brisbane. But, our plane landed in Sydney first, we got off and were led to another departure gate, we then boarded another plane and flew onto Brisbane, where we did our quarantine. 

However, that flight was an international flight ( it was flying back to Singapore) and was not a domestic flight. 

I thought this was correct from when I was looking, maybe it differs in each state.

14 hours ago, Skani said:

Parley's question is perfectly rational.   All states have quarantine facilities.  They are administered by state health departments and therefore can vary in their procedures.

It was a joke, based around the obvious fact that NSW is the premium state - why would anyone choose to go elsewhere 😉

• Haha 1