Buying property

Dap194

Looking for advice if we would be allowed to  purchase a property for our main residence whilst being on an aged parent bridging visa?  
(not yet PR).  Main concern is we don’t incur international investor tax etc as we don’t know when this will be granted       
Any one having/had  same concerns?

thank you 

8 minutes ago, Dap194 said:

Looking for advice if we would be allowed to  purchase a property for our main residence whilst being on an aged parent bridging visa?  
(not yet PR).  Main concern is we don’t incur international investor tax etc as we don’t know when this will be granted       
Any one having/had  same concerns?

thank you 

You can buy a property but I believe you are considered a foreign investor and will incur significant extra charges. I’m not sure when you applied for your visa but the current wait time is 30 years. You may have a long wait and most won’t ever get the visa in their lifetime.  It seems if people in your position want to buy they just have to accept the extra cost.

24 minutes ago, Dap194 said:

You will be treated as a foreign investor and will have to apply to the FIRB for permission to buy (for a fee).   You will pay a substantial surcharge on the purchase, depending on the state. On a $500,000 property, for instance, the surcharge would be around $45,000.   

Please be aware that the waiting time for a Contributory Parent Visa, if you apply today, is around 8-10 years.  For the Non-contributory visa, it's 30 years.

• 1 month later...

I have a question hope someone can point me in the right direction. I applied for 186 and still waiting on a bridging visa for 17 months, my partner is an Aussie and we try to buy a house but she can't borrow over $400k to buy property so we want to apply for a mortgage together. Is it possible my side to be approved coz I'm still not a PR? Thank you