What would u ship over from the uk if u left again?

Sea breeze

47 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I'm planning on bringing my Landrover Discovery 4 with me.  Worth about £10k here, and looking at $30k in Perth.  Not much in it financially to be honest, but I would rather keep it as I know the history, had it 5 years now and done quite a lot to it.  

Once you've got your personal import approval from Canberra the next thing is paying the tax once the vehicle arrives. The usual way is having the vehicle appraised after it has landed. However, there is another way for lower value vehicles where they simply submit the vehicle details with an estimated value. I used this company in Australia  https://www.cargoonline.com.au/ They were very efficient and sorted the tax out without the vehicle needing to be inspected for tax purposes. Also note that the tax you have to pay is based on the landed value and not the higher on the road value. I would also say to not waste your time and money having the vehicle thoroughly cleaned before its shipped. Make sure that its had a good wash and there is no apparent dirt underneath, but as they are often still directed to be steam cleaned once they arrive in Australia, there is not much point doing it twice. 

• Like 1

On 01/02/2021 at 22:55, Jon the Hat said:

My first inclination is to ship it all.  If we end up where we need more than half because of a few items I will rethink.

That's what we did and don't regret it.

It's not just the cost of buying the stuff again, its the cost of the your time selling/getting rid of your stuff in the UK.

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

That's what we did and don't regret it.

It's not just the cost of buying the stuff again, its the cost of the your time selling/getting rid of your stuff in the UK.

...and the cost of your time buying everything again, too.  If you've never had to buy a whole household of stuff, it's hard to imagine how daunting it is.  I guess that's easier these days, because you can buy a lot of it online and have it delivered, but it's still a royal pain in the proverbial.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

Books books books Moliere Dostoevsky Chaucer Tolstoy etc etc huge shortage

I would bring a container of books 

Edited by Guest