What would u ship over from the uk if u left again?

Sea breeze

12 hours ago, bicek said:

I used to live in Applecross in the 90s. It had good schools back then (no idea about now), and access to the city and the river was great. It was a little pricey then, but even more so now. A lot more mansions have sprung up since those days! We had the cheapest house on the street 😂

Our budget is similar to yours. We will decide how big a mortgage we want once we're there etc. Location is important for us, so happy to compromise on the house itself a little if we need to. 

Just been watching the early morning news and there's a house buying frenzy underway at the moment with prices forecast to go ballistic. I know round the area we live houses are being snapped up quickly. See a for sale sign up one day, under offer the next. There are a couple of big houses in gorgeous locations, great views, quiet streets, close to the beach that have been on the market for a few weeks. I had a look at the price and thought they were asking too much, around the mill mark, which is a lot for this area. This week they've got the under offer sign on.

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

Just been watching the early morning news and there's a house buying frenzy underway at the moment with prices forecast to go ballistic. I know round the area we live houses are being snapped up quickly. See a for sale sign up one day, under offer the next. There are a couple of big houses in gorgeous locations, great views, quiet streets, close to the beach that have been on the market for a few weeks. I had a look at the price and thought they were asking too much, around the mill mark, which is a lot for this area. This week they've got the under offer sign on.

Perth prices are rising faster than anywhere else in the country. Is it really a frenzy though Paul?

1 hour ago, newjez said:

Perth prices are rising faster than anywhere else in the country. Is it really a frenzy though Paul?

That's just the term they used on the news newjez. I think the media are doing their best to put a positive spin on anything. 

The guy talking was an economist and probably has investment properties so he was probably talking it up.

• Like 1

the other factor for us might well be how built up these close suburbs are becoming - I know there are a lot of apartment buildings going up on Canning Hwy in Applecross / Ardross / Mt pleasant so it might feel different to when we last stayed.

It also depends on work - If I land on my feet with a jib at my current level it is doable, if I have to take a step down for a couple of years the budget won't be $1.1M!

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

the other factor for us might well be how built up these close suburbs are becoming - I know there are a lot of apartment buildings going up on Canning Hwy in Applecross / Ardross / Mt pleasant so it might feel different to when we last stayed.

It also depends on work - If I land on my feet with a jib at my current level it is doable, if I have to take a step down for a couple of years the budget won't be $1.1M!

If you can't buy in the suburb you want, buy in the suburb next to the one that you want. I wouldn't do that in the UK. But you would be pretty safe to do that in Perth.

• Like 1

We came out when we were in our late 20s/early 30s and didn't really have much to ship - we were living in a shared house until we left so didn't really have much furniture or anything of great value. We came out with a 30kg suitcase each and then shipped 3 tea chest style boxes of various bits with a moving company. When the boxes arrived a couple of months later I couldn't for the life of me fathom why we'd ended up packing three boxes of what was essentially junk and most of it has now long been op shopped. In hindsight I would have just packed the suitcases and left it at that.

My parents recently sold up and moved from the family home in the UK and I had a very fortuitously timed visit to help them back in January 2020, just before COVID kicked off. I packed a few more sentimental bits like photos etc in my suitcase when I came home to Oz and spend some time selling off the rest of my stuff on Gumtree for some beer pounds to lubricate my visit. I also brought back an M&S Victoria sponge cake for the wife and a few packets of UK sweets for me the kids. That just about does it for me stuff wise.

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Hendo said:

Came out in 2005 and shipped 100 boxes of belongings to SA, in hindsight I would ship a 40" container and ship it to New Zealand not this place,much nicer people and culture.

That's very much a subjective point of view and I know plenty of proud Kiwis who nevertheless prefer living in Australia.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hendo said:

Came out in 2005 and shipped 100 boxes of belongings to SA, in hindsight I would ship a 40" container and ship it to New Zealand not this place,much nicer people and culture.

17 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

That's very much a subjective point of view and I know plenty of proud Kiwis who nevertheless prefer living in Australia.

Agree with MARYROSE02. I've lived in both New Zealand and Australia and I have positive (and like anywhere - some negative) things to say about living in both countries. Overall, they are both wonderful places to live and they have a lot to offer, if you seize the opportunity. Australia is vast and any opinion of "this place" will be limited by your immediate experience. Sorry to hear you're not happy where you are Hendo. 

• Like 2

On 10/03/2021 at 14:00, Hendo said:

Went to school in SA.  Far better more interesting places to live in Oz imho.

On 04/02/2021 at 21:18, Jon the Hat said:

We are bit biased towards those we know, which is around South Perth and Applecross.  Plus Maylands, but never liked the mosquitos over there!  We will be looking around other really good schools, so Churchlands, Carine as well.  We are clear that this is probably a decision between nice big house further out and townhouse etc close in.

We might also decide not to spend that much.  Would be happy with a nice $700k house if we can find one!

Churchlands has a fantastic music program if that's a thing for you. Both my sons went there and it was a great school - the younger left 13 years ago so no idea what it's like now but it was a great all round school then.

My daughter went to Willeton High, also was very good (she left 10 years ago!).

In my view, decent areas have decent schools, just like anywhere else - find a suburb you like and roll with it!

Gardening tools. When the shipping agent visited us to do the assessment he said don't bring any gardening equipment, but then I heard of other people who had shipped theirs without any issues. We had quite a lot of newish tools which would've been easy to clean up, so they would've been fine. I went to Bunnings and everything is going to cost us a fortune to replace here! 😠

Edited by Wanderer Returns
  • Like 1

Bring your car as used car prices have gone through the roof over the last year in Australia. As long as you've owned the car for more than 12 months, its quite easy to get approval to bring it with you. I did it 10 years ago when I shipped my Toyota from the UK to Sydney in a 40ft container along with all our other household goods. As I recall, the container cost £1800 at the time which we had to load ourselves to get it at that price but only took a couple of hours.  I still have the car (now in Perth) and its worth a lot more than it ever was back in the UK. 

10 hours ago, jonnypirate said:

Bring your car as used car prices have gone through the roof over the last year in Australia. As long as you've owned the car for more than 12 months, its quite easy to get approval to bring it with you. I did it 10 years ago when I shipped my Toyota from the UK to Sydney in a 40ft container along with all our other household goods. As I recall, the container cost £1800 at the time which we had to load ourselves to get it at that price but only took a couple of hours.  I still have the car (now in Perth) and its worth a lot more than it ever was back in the UK. 

More than just transport costs involved though, taxes, compliance etc to pay and the process can take a while after the car arrives to get it compliant and registered.  We did it but it isn’t worth it for all cars. We also bought a new car cheaper here than in the UK.  

• Like 2

The Japanese stuff in particular definitely seems to be cheaper here. We bought a Mitsubishi Outlander for a great price - there are thousands of them here. Much cheaper than it would have been back in the UK with a premium pricetag attached and a smaller engine. 

Maybe the high-end stuff is worth considering for import but you can definitely pick up a bargain here if you're happy to drive whatever everyone else does.

Edited by llessur
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, llessur said:

The Japanese stuff in particular definitely seems to be cheaper here. We bought a Mitsubishi Outlander for a great price - there are thousands of them here. Much cheaper than it would have been back in the UK with a premium pricetag attached and a smaller engine. 

Maybe the high-end stuff is worth considering for import but you can definitely pick up a bargain here if you're happy to drive whatever everyone else does.

As a car dealer I say buy local! hahahaha

11 hours ago, jonnypirate said:

But that was ten years ago.  I believe there are different rules now and you've got to go through all kinds of compliance rigmarole, so it's not easy at all nowadays.  

I would consider it if you've got too much stuff for a 20ft container so you might as well take the car to fill out a 40 footer, but I think most people can fit their stuff in a 20ft container with a bit of discipline.

11 hours ago, jonnypirate said:

Depends what car you have and how old it is. 

I bought a 2014 Audi Q5 3.0 diesel turbo with 130,000km on it in October. Paid $25,500 for it, not a mark on it, really good condition. It had a coolant leak that I noticed after a few days. Warning light came on for low coolant level, thought they'd just not topped it up when they serviced it. It had been serviced by a VW garage before I got it. A few days later same thing, warning light and this time I could smell coolant when I opened the bonnet and could see some down near the radiator. Nothinng under the car as the engine has a cover over the whole front end. Rang the garage I got it from, AHG dealership and the guy said he was going round to the VW garage that did the service. 10 mins later VW garage rings to say bring it up. They found the leak, some EPG valve or something. Ordered the part from Audi and I got it back the following day. I think it would have cost a lot to fix as it took them half a day. The valve is quite difficult to get at and replace. 

Anyway, all done under warranty and the cars been brilliant since. I did wonder if the previous owner had realised he had a slow leak and knew it would be expensive to fix. 

I went back to the same garage as my youngest is looking for a car. Sales guy asked me about mine and when I told him I'd bought it from there he said they'd give me more now to buy it back than what I'd paid. 

He said you may as well buy new as a couple of year old cars are selling for almost as much? Seems to be a lively market.

TBH though I would buy local, either second hand or new. I had a 2005 X trail from new. I recently sold it to me eldest for $2000. It had done 260,000km of nigh on trouble free motoring. Still got the original exhaust system. No salt or much else on the roads here to rot cars. 

My eldest had a 69 Corvette Stingray that had been here a few years. Cost him 25,000 when he bought it, had it about 3 years and sold it to a guy in Melbourne for 30,000. Me and the wife used it more than he did as he was FIFO, living in a rental, so left it at our house. Fun car to drive.

On 14/03/2021 at 10:13, Wanderer Returns said:

Gardening tools. When the shipping agent visited us to do the assessment he said don't bring any gardening equipment, but then I heard of other people who had shipped theirs without any issues. We had quite a lot of newish tools which would've been easy to clean up, so they would've been fine. I went to Bunnings and everything is going to cost us a fortune to replace here! 😠

I bought on everything including garden tools.. Wilkinsons are costly here, therefore I washed everything and sprayed silver so they looked like new. Travelling interstate also has similar quarantine rules and I have just repeated the process!

• Like 1

On 31/01/2021 at 08:25, Sea breeze said:

Hi guys 

its been forever since I posted on here so hello! 👋

after 6 years of living back in the uk we are moving back to Oz. We have had enough of the weather and  the situation 

my question is what would u ship over if u knew then what u know now?? 

Everything!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rammygirl said:

More than just transport costs involved though, taxes, compliance etc to pay and the process can take a while after the car arrives to get it compliant and registered.  We did it but it isn’t worth it for all cars. We also bought a new car cheaper here than in the UK.  

Don't believe anyone who tells you that they will get your car on the road for a fee after the relevant compliance has been done. I had mine registered and on the road in Sydney within 2 hours of collecting it from Port Botany after paying the relevant tax based on the estimated landed value of the car. There is absolutely no different compliance required for ex UK vehicles as there is for those sold directly in Australia. As long as you've got your personal import approval from Canberra prior to shipping, you then just need a blue slip in NSW from a local garage which is the same as required for any vehicle that has been off the road for more than 6 weeks. The RMS in NSW even said that I could drive the vehicle from the port to a pre booked inspection near by which is exactly what I did and 30 minutes later I had the blue slip pass certificate in my hand. I definitely agree that new vehicles are cheaper in Australia compared to the UK but for some strange reason, used vehicles hold their value well above what they are really worth.

Edited by jonnypirate
added