Sound advice on a move to Australia

PommyLyn

I made the decision to move to Australia to be with my two sons, one in Brisbane the other Nr Noosa. I have made 25+ visits to Australia over the years. As I’m getting on a bit 70 this year my sons want me over there. I would qualify for the aged parent visa. So put my home on the market and have a buyer to complete on the 25th March 21. Of course covid has restricted entry into Australia for the foreseeable. All my belongings are pack and inventoried. Have been quoted £5k to ship to Brisbane.   Is this a reasonable price? Is there a way I can do this shipping myself? Any sound advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you &  Kind regards 
t

Move cube with Seven Seas. A large cube cost us about £1k and then there was another $1k (round figures) for entry into Australia. 

The advice, though, is always don't make big move until you have the visa. Do you want to sell your home and send your stuff if you may never get there? 

4 hours ago, PommyLyn said:

I made the decision to move to Australia to be with my two sons, one in Brisbane the other Nr Noosa. I have made 25+ visits to Australia over the years. As I’m getting on a bit 70 this year my sons want me over there. I would qualify for the aged parent visa. So put my home on the market and have a buyer to complete on the 25th March 21. Of course covid has restricted entry into Australia for the foreseeable. All my belongings are pack and inventoried. Have been quoted £5k to ship to Brisbane.   Is this a reasonable price? Is there a way I can do this shipping myself? Any sound advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you &  Kind regards 
t

Will you be renting somewhere until you can get over there then?  You may be selling your home a year or more earlier than you needed to and packed all your things up. I reckon it will be a year at best before tourists will be allowed over there, sadly.

4 hours ago, PommyLyn said:

t

Which aged parent visa are you applying for? Has it been processed already? The contributory aged parent visa seems to take around 58 months for processing and the aged parent visa, up to 30 years? That's according to the home affairs website but I'm not so clued up on this particular visa so may have misunderstood this.  Are you allowed into Australia whilst they consider the application? 

Edited by bicek

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Will you be renting somewhere until you can get over there then?  You may be selling your home a year or more earlier than you needed to and packed all your things up. I reckon it will be a year at best before tourists will be allowed over there, sadly.

Hoping for December 3rd entry, have cancelled 4 trips so far 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞 surely we can get over by then! Will be two years since we’ve seen our new grandson 

6 hours ago, PommyLyn said:

So put my home on the market and have a buyer to complete on the 25th March 21. 

Just out of interest, have you managed to secure a completion date for your house sale 2 months+ in advance? That seems quite unusual, but great if that is a possibility, as makes planning ahead so much easier. 

39 minutes ago, Karl D said:

Hoping for December 3rd entry, have cancelled 4 trips so far 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞 surely we can get over by then! Will be two years since we’ve seen our new grandson 

I hope so too and I’m in the exact same position as you.  I have a grandchild I’ve not seen and I’ll be going over as soon as possible. But, I’m also a realist too and whilst I hope towards the end of this year they may ease restrictions I’m far from sure.  If I had to put money on it I’d say it’s more likely to be next year.  Things could take a new turn for the worse too, it’s unknown territory right now. A few new strains could throw a spanner in the works. I’d certainly not be selling my home right now like the lady who put this post up. Worse case scenario she could be waiting years to get out there and she’s got her stuff all packed up and is giving her home up.  It would be so good if we can get a holiday in late this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bicek said:

Which aged parent visa are you applying for? Has it been processed already? The contributory aged parent visa seems to take around 58 months for processing and the aged parent visa, up to 30 years? That's according to the home affairs website but I'm not so clued up on this particular visa so may have misunderstood this.  Are you allowed into Australia whilst they consider the application? 

The contributory parent visa processing time for those applying now is about 10 years, not 58 months. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, bicek said:

Just out of interest, have you managed to secure a completion date for your house sale 2 months+ in advance? That seems quite unusual, but great if that is a possibility, as makes planning ahead so much easier. 

It happens. Someone in the chain could be waiting on a new build that won’t be ready until then. A friend of mine is exchanging end of March as she’s buying from a teacher who’s moving away from the area and is retiring at Easter so she can’t move until the end of term.  At the moment solicitors are taking longer than usual to complete everything so a date set 8 weeks after offer accepted sounds about right. 

On 30/01/2021 at 21:54, Tulip1 said:

It happens. Someone in the chain could be waiting on a new build that won’t be ready until then. A friend of mine is exchanging end of March as she’s buying from a teacher who’s moving away from the area and is retiring at Easter so she can’t move until the end of term.  At the moment solicitors are taking longer than usual to complete everything so a date set 8 weeks after offer accepted sounds about right. 

I wish, we accepted an offer on the 15th November, and we are still waiting to Exchange..