For a path to PR, would you go with the 190 or 820?

Arese

Hi everyone,

I'm eligible to apply for the de facto 820 visa with my partner.

I'm also eligible for a 190 skill point-based visa (85 points and my occupation is on the skilled occupation list.)

Which one would you choose (besides the visa fees difference) and why?

Also, I'm currently on a 482. When my 482 expires and if I applied for the 820, the bridging visa kicks in and I get PR rights.

However, I don't know what would happen in the same situation if I applied for a 190 visa?

I would have thought partner Visa has to be easier assuming you  meet the relationship requirements.   You don't need skills assessment etc, all of which costs and requires lots of evidence.  I would also have qualified for both (Before I hit 40 anyway), and it never occurred to me to go through the hassle of the skills route.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Arese said:

Hi everyone,

I'm also eligible for a 190 skill point-based visa (85 points and my occupation is on the skilled occupation list.)

Also, I'm currently on a 482. When my 482 expires and if I applied for the 820, the bridging visa kicks in and I get PR rights.

However, I don't know what would happen in the same situation if I applied for a 190 visa?

Depending on the circumstances, the skilled pathway would likely be quicker and cheaper.

However, just because you qualify for a 190 does not mean you can apply for a 190.

You would first need to be invited by the State to lodge an application with them. Then only if the State approves your sponsorship will you be invited to apply for a visa.

Currently most state sponsorship programs are operating in a very limited capacity.

A professional assessment to determine your optimal visa pathway would be wise.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Arese said:

If you are in a genuine relationship, have solid proof, AND don't make any mistakes in your partner visa application, you are guaranteed to get the visa. 

Whereas for the 190, it's a competition.  Even if you have all the qualifications and experience necessary, you're up against hundreds of other applicants and you may not get picked. 

For that reason, personally I would go for the de facto visa (but I'd engage a migration agent to do the application, because of the importance of getting the application perfect - it's not as straightforward as it looks).  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I would have thought partner Visa has to be easier assuming you  meet the relationship requirements.   You don't need skills assessment etc, all of which costs and requires lots of evidence.  I would also have qualified for both (Before I hit 40 anyway), and it never occurred to me to go through the hassle of the skills route.

True, I have heard some horror stories regarding the skill assessment process required when you apply for the 190 skilled visa. Apparently, they ask for a scary amount of supporting document, I was told you have to reach out to all of your old employers as far as 10 years and get letters from them etc. 

I reckon lodging a 190 would be less of a hassle

11 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

Depending on the circumstances, the skilled pathway would likely be quicker and cheaper.

However, just because you qualify for a 190 does not mean you can apply for a 190.

You would first need to be invited by the State to lodge an application with them. Then only if the State approves your sponsorship will you be invited to apply for a visa.

Currently most state sponsorship programs are operating in a very limited capacity.

A professional assessment to determine your optimal visa pathway would be wise.

Thank you very much for your input. Definitely good to know. 

You're saying that sponsorship programs are operating in a very limited capacity at the moment, on the other hand, the government increased family visa quotas this year.

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you are in a genuine relationship, have solid proof, AND don't make any mistakes in your partner visa application, you are guaranteed to get the visa. 

Whereas for the 190, it's a competition.  Even if you have all the qualifications and experience necessary, you're up against hundreds of other applicants and you may not get picked. 

For that reason, personally I would go for the de facto visa (but I'd engage a migration agent to do the application, because of the importance of getting the application perfect - it's not as straightforward as it looks).  

Thanks for your message. You have a really good point. Our de facto relationship will be easy to prove as we are really in a genuine relationship and are able to provide solid proofs which should almost guarantee me to get the visa whereas it's true that the 190 is a competition and not as simple as being "eligible".

I was already leaning towards the 190 but reading your messages kind of confirms this is is probably the best way forward.

Really appreciate everyone's input, it really helped.

3 hours ago, Arese said:

True, I have heard some horror stories regarding the skill assessment process required when you apply for the 190 skilled visa. Apparently, they ask for a scary amount of supporting document, I was told you have to reach out to all of your old employers as far as 10 years and get letters from them etc. 

I reckon lodging a 190 would be less of a hassle

Thank you very much for your input. Definitely good to know. 

You're saying that sponsorship programs are operating in a very limited capacity at the moment, on the other hand, the government increased family visa quotas this year.

Thanks for your message. You have a really good point. Our de facto relationship will be easy to prove as we are really in a genuine relationship and are able to provide solid proofs which should almost guarantee me to get the visa whereas it's true that the 190 is a competition and not as simple as being "eligible".

I was already leaning towards the 190 but reading your messages kind of confirms this is is probably the best way forward.

Really appreciate everyone's input, it really helped.

You are leaning towards the 190 skilled visa, not the partner visa?

On 28/01/2021 at 22:32, Marisawright said:

You are leaning towards the 190 skilled visa, not the partner visa?

Sorry I mistyped. I meant to say I was already leaning towards the 820 and now I'm definitely locked on the 820. I just finished filling out the application (didn't submit yet as I had a few other questions I needed clarification with before proceeding)

• Like 1

On 27/01/2021 at 23:33, Arese said:

Hi everyone,

820!