Does an employment contract constitute 'substantial ties' for RRV?

geographicali

Hi Everyone

It's been a while since I posted here. I'm trying to get some info about Resident Return Visa as I don't find the immi.gov info particularly clear on the specifics.

In short, we originally migrated to Sydney in Dec 2011 on a 457 through a job offer for me at a University. 186 was granted in Feb 2014, but we left Australia in April 2015 due to ill health of my partner's mum. 186 expired in Feb 2019.

There is a possibility the same Uni may be about to advertise a job I could apply for, but seeing as we have not spent the requisite 730 days in Australia (only 6 weeks or so in total) in the last 5 years I am wondering if the offer of a job/contract with a previous employer would constitute the 'substantial ties' to Australia that we would require?

We also never closed our joint account with NAB, I have made some research connections with a couple of Australian academics and have set up an exchange between a UK and Australian Uni - though those may be a bit desperate!

If not, presumably that means a fresh application for a 457 by the University would be required?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Alison

Hi Paul

Thanks for this - there’s a bit of hope then!

When you say depends on the specifics, in relation to what? The job or our circumstances?

Also do continuing aging parent I’ll health and other family troubles constitute ‘compelling reasons’ - I’m assuming there’s no standard list with immi and it’s more of a case by case thing with that is it?

Cheers,

Alison

46 minutes ago, geographicali said:

Hi Paul

Thanks for this - there’s a bit of hope then!

When you say depends on the specifics, in relation to what? The job or our circumstances?

Also do continuing aging parent I’ll health and other family troubles constitute ‘compelling reasons’ - I’m assuming there’s no standard list with immi and it’s more of a case by case thing with that is it?

In the circumstances, I suggest hiring Paul to do the application for you, for two reasons. One, there's a limit to how much you can expect him to dole out free advice when it's how he earns his living.  Two, you need an expert who knows the right wording that will convince Immigration you've got a case.

• Like 1

Thanks - I will most likely engage an agent, but there is no point yet as the job hasn't even been advertised. 

Also, if anyone else is reading this thread with similar questions, Paul's advice enabled me to Google a bit more specifically, and I have found some much clearer information that outlines the differences between the lengths of 155/157 visas and the kind of 'compelling reasons'/evidence that one would need. 

https://www.myaccessaustralia.com/resident-return-visa/

6 minutes ago, geographicali said:

Thanks - I will most likely engage an agent, but there is no point yet as the job hasn't even been advertised. 

Also, if anyone else is reading this thread with similar questions, Paul's advice enabled me to Google a bit more specifically, and I have found some much clearer information that outlines the differences between the lengths of 155/157 visas and the kind of 'compelling reasons'/evidence that one would need. 

It's always good when my advice leads someone to post a link to another agent's website ... 😉 

Edited by paulhand