UK bank accounts you can keep open after migrating to Australia?

Wanderer Returns

21 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The international current account is not a UK bank account. It's an account in pounds sterling.  It's not available to anyone who lives in the UK.  

The banks told us that they would be breaking money-laundering law if they allowed us to use an account without proof of address.  Breaking the law = illegal.  I don't have documentary proof of that so maybe they were shooting us a line, but they were all very definite about it.

Not necessarily... I'm sure if there's an interested lawyer they could eloquently explain.

• Haha 1

On 27/01/2021 at 22:05, Parley said:

So if you falsely claim you live in the UK and provide false documentation to them, it is their fault not yours if they don't find out.

What a strange system.

No they are required to maintain certain controls around the accounts they open and this is one of them.  The penalties for the bank of failing to do so could be a very large fine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

No they are required to maintain certain controls around the accounts they open and this is one of them.  The penalties for the bank of failing to do so could be a very large fine.

Yes, it's all about compliance these days, although I imagine that the first that could happen is that they'd close your account. Not sure how they'd get your money back to you though! 🤔

16 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Yes, it's all about compliance these days, although I imagine that the first that could happen is that they'd close your account. Not sure how they'd get your money back to you though! 🤔

They’d just send a cheque to you in the post. 

• Haha 1

On 26/01/2021 at 09:30, Wanderer Returns said:

A very Happy Australia Day to one and all!  🇦🇺😀👍

I had a current account with Tesco Bank, which I've just had to close because they said it was only for UK residents. I was wondering if any forum members who are resident in Australia still have UK bank accounts open, and which banks allow you to be resident overseas without any issues?

Many thanks in advance.

I Googled "UK banks closing accounts for overseas residents" and it said that SOME UK banks have closed accounts for expats living in Europe post BREXIT, so nothing to do with us in Australia. I''ve never had any communication from my two UK bank accounts telling me they are going to close my accounts anyway.

• Like 2

On 05/02/2021 at 04:38, Jon the Hat said:

Not their problem!  Commbank closed by wife's australian account a few years ago as we hadn't used it for 12 months.  Very annoying!  Sent a small cheque to her mum.

I used to be with the Commonwealth Bank but I closed my account with them when we returned to the UK for 5 years, because unless you were paying in $1000 month you had to pay a $5/month account management fee. I'm with UBank/NAB now and they don't charge anything.

• Like 2