309 partnership visa applications

Jet88

22 hours ago, Jet88 said:

Thanks @Bobby Jindal I think we are going to take the other route and move there when ready and he can arrive on visitor visa then apply for partnership visa there. It just feels like the time frames change so much with applying offshore its impossible to plan anything and if things improve and we can move at the end of the year then I want to do that and not have the risk of not being able to go as still waiting for his visa!

Hope your move goes well! 

@Jet88   , to be honest I think you're crazy to wait, when you could apply now and knock over almost a whole year of the waiting time before you even want to move.   It's likely the visa will come through during that time.  

If the visa hasn't come through by the time you're ready to move, you can stlil get a visitor visa for him to go with you, and then the visa will come through while he's there. 

There was chaos early on due to Covid, but they've got their processes in place now, so there's no reason to expect processing times to seesaw up and down. You've got evidence of someone who applied in September and got it in 4 months. 

Edited by Marisawright

On 23/01/2021 at 20:29, darch said:

sure thing - it was pretty straightforward for us. Work commitments mean we won't be making the move much before second half of this year anyway- our only real deadline was that we wanted to be in Australia in time for our eldest to start school in Jan 2022 - he'll be 4 by then. So when saw the timelines getting up past 18 months, decided to get the application in just in case it did take forever. Sounds like we're in similar boats - my wife is Aussie, and our two boys are dual citizens, so it was really just me holding us up! Good luck if you go ahead with an application!

We have pretty similar situation and time lines. My visa issorted, it took 18 months, I have to activate my visa by November 2021 and we are also keen for our son to start school January 2022.

I’m just not sure if we should buy flights for October now or wait? 

1 hour ago, Ausimi said:

We have pretty similar situation and time lines. My visa issorted, it took 18 months, I have to activate my visa by November 2021 and we are also keen for our son to start school January 2022.

I’m just not sure if we should buy flights for October now or wait? 

yeah its the million dollar question isn't it - we're not sure what to do either. I've got to activate by Jan '22, but would prefer not to leave it 'till the very last minute. Our current plan - to the extent we have one - is to give it another couple of months to see what the deal with cap numbers, flights, and vaccinations is. Hopefully things will have improved enough that we can be reasonably certain that if we've booked a flight, we'll be able to travel, but also still have a bit of a buffer if need it.  the current situation just seems unsustainable -  but some of the stories of people being stuck for months on end make pretty worrying reading. FWIW if you've not seen it, home affairs do have a section their website about possibly still being able to travel if you're not able to make your first entry by date. personally would prefer not to have to rely on it, but a bit of a comfort to know its there in emergency

Edited by darch

14 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If the visa hasn't come through by the time you're ready to move, you can stlil get a visitor visa for him to go with you, and then the visa will come through while he's there. 

@Marisawright if one took this approach and entered on a visitor visa with a pending offshore partnership visa app, what happens if the visitor visa expires before the offshore app is determined?  Do you have to leave?  Or do you go onto a bridging visa - if so would this bridging visa have work rights (in the same way that the bridging visa you're granted if you're awaiting the outcome of an *onshore* partnership has work rights)?  

Obviously if the answer is "that's too complicated, speak to your own lawyer" then fair enough! 

1 hour ago, darch said:

yeah its the million dollar question isn't it - we're not sure what to do either. I've got to activate by Jan '22, but would prefer not to leave it 'till the very last minute. Our current plan - to the extent we have one - is to give it another couple of months to see what the deal with cap numbers, flights, and vaccinations is. Hopefully things will have improved enough that we can be reasonably certain that if we've booked a flight, we'll be able to travel, but also still have a bit of a buffer if need it.  the current situation just seems unsustainable -  but some of the stories of people being stuck for months on end make pretty worrying reading. FWIW if you've not seen it, home affairs do have a section their website about possibly still being able to travel if you're not able to make your first entry by date. personally would prefer not to have to rely on it, but a bit of a comfort to know its there in emergency

Thank you for the info! We had been waiting so long for the visa, then it is so frustrating not being able to just go! 

We are thinking to secure direct flights to Perth with Quantas for October (meaning buy them now) and hope that by then everything is more settled and easier! 
im assuming that if quantas cancel the flight they will re book you for the next available one... am i being too optimistic? 

47 minutes ago, Ausimi said:

im assuming that if quantas cancel the flight they will re book you for the next available one... am i being too optimistic? 

not sure - would be really interested if there's anyone on here who has experienced/knows! my (limited!) understanding is that it's mainly the quarantine numbers that are the problem at the moment, with demand outstripping supply several times over. so getting tickets is crazy difficult in the first place and even then if you do manage to book, if you later get bumped because whichever state you're flying to can't take you, there's no free seats on later flights to put you on. 

4 minutes ago, darch said:

not sure - would be really interested if there's anyone on here who has experienced/knows! my (limited!) understanding is that it's mainly the quarantine numbers that are the problem at the moment, with demand outstripping supply several times over. so getting tickets is crazy difficult in the first place and even then if you do manage to book, if you later get bumped because whichever state you're flying to can't take you, there's no free seats on later flights to put you on. 

I read somewhere that if you buy businesses it’s less likely you get bumped... expensive gamble ! 

Has anyone had to apply to extend their entry date to activate their partner visa? We are hoping to fly in October and will need to activate by December 2021. 

What happens if we get bumped from the flight and can't rebook for months?! what did you do? 

21 hours ago, Ausimi said:

I read somewhere that if you buy businesses it’s less likely you get bumped... expensive gamble ! 

Yes I've heard this is the case. Sadly not an option for us. Premium economy is the most we could afford but I hear most of these are bumped too. 

• 1 month later...

Hi just to give you an update, we applied for the visa offshore and it was approved in 3 weeks so if you are thinking of applying offshore they definitely seem to be processing things VERY quickly! 

now to look at the shipping forums  😀

On 23/03/2021 at 17:47, Jet88 said:

Hi just to give you an update, we applied for the visa offshore and it was approved in 3 weeks so if you are thinking of applying offshore they definitely seem to be processing things VERY quickly! 

now to look at the shipping forums  😀

Wow that is crazy fast! I thought 9 months was good 😂