Motor Mechanics Needed

Graham Fletcher

Apparently there are exemptions for skilled migration visas, though I would have to get the details from our Immigration Agency. From what I have been told the process is no different to normal except you need a negative test before flying and do the 2 weeks of quarantine on arrival.

Also, in the long term we will still need people so even if you have to wait 6 months we will still be asking!

• Like 2

Travel restrictions and exemptions

Australia has strict border measures in place to protect the health of the Australian community. Very limited flights are currently available to and from Australia and you may not be able to travel at this time. Travel restrictions are subject to change. Please check back regularly. See: National Cabinet media statement.

From 22 January 2021, if you are travelling to or transiting through Australia you must provide evidence of a negative COVID-19 (PCR) test to your airline, taken 72 hours or less before your scheduled departure.

If you do not have evidence of a negative COVID-19 (PCR) test, you should not go to the airport as your airline will not allow you to board the aircraft. 

Masks must be worn on all international flights, including at airports. 

More information can be found at Department of Health website.

Unless arriving on a quarantine-free flight from New Zealand, all travellers arriving in Australia, including Australian citizens, must quarantine for 14 days at a designated facility, such as a hotel in their port of arrival. See Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for travellers. You may be required to pay for the costs of your quarantine. To find out more about quarantine requirements, contact the relevant state or territory government health department.

You cannot come to Australia unless you are in an exempt category or you have been granted an individual exemption to the current travel restrictions.

The majority of travel exemption requests to come to Australia are finalised within 7 days, but some complex requests may take longer.

If you are not in an exempt category you can request an individual exemption to Australia's travel.

Exempt categories

You are automatically exempt from the travel restrictions and can enter Australia (without obtaining an individual exemption) if you are:

sorry, got side-tracked (I'm actually at work). I meant to add that these are the current exempt categories but they are being updated constantly and you can request an individual exemption if you are arriving with a Sponsored job. People are still moving in and out of the country but it is difficult.

I am more concerned about the long term, to be honest. Covid will be far less of an issue later in the year - it's not an issue at all already in Australia - so I would love to be able to help some Poms come over and start a new life in Oz whilst helping me out with my staff shortages

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Graham Fletcher said:

sorry, got side-tracked (I'm actually at work). I meant to add that these are the current exempt categories but they are being updated constantly and you can request an individual exemption if you are arriving with a Sponsored job. People are still moving in and out of the country but it is difficult.

I am more concerned about the long term, to be honest. Covid will be far less of an issue later in the year - it's not an issue at all already in Australia - so I would love to be able to help some Poms come over and start a new life in Oz whilst helping me out with my staff shortages

Thanks for thinking of our members Graham, this is my hubbys trade so i too know how desperate the search is for good mechanics than can actually walk the walk and not just talk the talk. Fingers crossed you get some good applications and they can get here at some point.

Cal x

26 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Thanks for thinking of our members Graham, this is my hubbys trade so i too know how desperate the search is for good mechanics than can actually walk the walk and not just talk the talk. Fingers crossed you get some good applications and they can get here at some point.

Cal x

Thanks Cal, fingers crossed we need good quality staff

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eagle2020 said:

I'm a decorator and see so many positions advertising for my profession all over Australia. So frustrating having 20 years experience but my application delayed due to Covid ( which I understand why) 

Feel for you mate. Our hard borders are painful. My girlfriend is actually stuck overseas and can't get back in.

We have been very lucky, virtually no cases here and life is basically normal with the occasional panic by state Premiers. Hope the vaccines get everyone to the same level quickly so we can all have proper lives again

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I thought only priority occupations were getting exemptions but I’m no expert. Perhaps some of our experts like @paulhand will comment 

Exemptions may be available to:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, paulhand said:

Exemptions may be available to:

Thanks Paul, would definitely consider the Sponsorship path. 

21 minutes ago, Graham Fletcher said:

Thanks Paul, would definitely consider the Sponsorship path. 

Paul was pointing out that sponsorship is available only for people on the PMSOL, or who have critical skills/working in a critical sector.  So currently, you wouldn't be able to sponsor anyone.

Not trying to discourage you, just wanting to make sure applicants don't get their hopes up for nothing.   Just a few days ago, the government said international borders won't open till near the end of the year, and there 's a huge backlog of skilled visa applicants (hardly anyone who applied in 2020 has had their visas looked at yet), so it's likely you're going to need some patience.

• Like 1

There are a number of industries that are in real trouble due to the closed borders.

Hospitality venues across the country can' t open for all shifts due to lack of staff, farmers are having to plough crops into the ground and finding a mechanic in a regional areas is next to impossible.

Exemptions to enter for sponsored staff are difficult unless in a Priority Occupation or Critical Industry. A strong business case needs to be submitted and an exemption for a Mechanic would be unlikely. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

There are a number of industries that are in real trouble due to the closed borders.

Hospitality venues across the country can' t open for all shifts due to lack of staff, farmers are having to plough crops into the ground and finding a mechanic in a regional areas is next to impossible.

Exemptions to enter for sponsored staff are difficult unless in a Priority Occupation or Critical Industry. A strong business case needs to be submitted and an exemption for a Mechanic would be unlikely. 

Add to this the demand for tradesmen, and the prediction is one of a skills shortage. With so much free money being handed out under building grant schemes, the new home industry is going to stall unless more qualified tradesmen are found. Prices have already increased substantially. In Western Australia, some builders have signed up more contracts than they can supply labour for, with the most recent signings expected to take 2 years for completion. Many tradies are already booked up for the next six months and will not quote a job before May. This is not sustainable and I expect our government is going to have to add trades to the priority list in the near future. I certainly hope so anyway.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Graham Fletcher said:

Totally agree, the list is definitely a moving feast. I am awaiting info from my migration lawyer, he tells me he has just had 5 mechanics approved but it seems there is no hard and fast rules for the exemptions. Each case is looked at separately. I will post any information I get, it may be useful to others

No, it's not a moving feast.  It hasn't moved since last March and there's no sign of the government changing its rigid stance anytime soon -  that's what everyone is complaining about. 

If your agent is getting mechanics approved then that's great news though I'm very surprised.  I assume your agent is reputable and MARA registered.  

6 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

No, it's not a moving feast.  It hasn't moved since last March and there's no sign of the government changing its rigid stance anytime soon -  that's what everyone is complaining about. 

If your agent is getting mechanics approved then that's great news though I'm very surprised.  I assume your agent is reputable and MARA registered.  

Yes it is. Social worker was added in November. I realise you are, for some reason, being negative as you obviously think I am trying to con people but I am not. My immigration agents are a national company and, quite honestly, I will take their advice rather than yours thanks

1 hour ago, Graham Fletcher said:

Yes it is. Social worker was added in November. I realise you are, for some reason, being negative as you obviously think I am trying to con people

Not at all.  I am sure you are absolutely genuine.  I am just concerned that the agent is conning you - after all, they get their money whether or not you're successful. 

There are some very professional-looking national and international firms which are total conmen.   I would take Raul's advice before I'd take the advice of an unnamed firm.

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

Not at all.  I am sure you are absolutely genuine.  I am just concerned that the agent is conning you - after all, they get their money whether or not you're successful. 

There are some very professional-looking national and international firms which are total conmen.   I would take Raul's advice before I'd take the advice of an unnamed firm.

My agent has brought in several Mechanics for us from Sri Lanka and worked with numerous companies we have contact with. They are very well known in my industry and have an excellent reputation.

I wouldn't be on here unless I was genuinely trying to find quality workers. And, as I have already said, it's not just about now but for the foreseeable future. There is a shortage across the country and it will not be resolved any time soon. 

8 minutes ago, Graham Fletcher said:

I wouldn't be on here unless I was genuinely trying to find quality workers.

Like I said, I never doubted YOU were genuine.  My only concern was whether you were being well advised.  You have put my mind at rest, always assuming those Sri Lankan mechanics weren't for a business that met the criteria for a Critical Industry.

By the way, the addition of Social Worker was as part of the Covid response, so it's not really a sign of any softening of attitude by the govt.

Edited by Marisawright