Teacher info

Tilly H

Sorry I dont think I made my first post clear haha! I have got a 4 year teaching degree and 3 years post qualification experience in secondary school teaching in the UK. Whilst i am currently doing a masters in law in the UK right now - I am still keen to find out what the teaching environment is like in australia as i am thinking of potentially returning to teaching 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Tilly H said:

@emwatson Oh that is exactly what I want to hear - I have defo fallen out of love with it and it makes me sad because I loved it at one point! 

I teach geography, history, PE and health and social care! What about you? 

Where are abouts do you teach? 

My experience of the schools my kids went to here are positive. I have only the schools where we moved from, near Stockport and my schooldays in Derbyshire. One of the reasons we moved was our youngest was 2 when we came and my wife had already checked what school he would end up in. English wouldn't have been his first language.

I think kids stay kids a lot longer here, schools seem more organised, seem to have more money, nicer buildings, more extra curricular stuff going on, usually sports based. Surfing before school, diving courses, trips to the Abrolhos, camping down South, rock climbing, swim classes and competitions, AFL teams, soccer teams. Guess that side of school doesn't suit everyone but I think my kids loved the environment and we certainly never had problems getting them to go. The youngest has autism so he went to a school where they had a stream for kids with learning difficulty. He liked the stricter rules and was proud of his uniform.

Eldest just went to the local public school and it was fine. 

I know a few teachers, not a job I think I could do but if I was a teacher I would rather be one here than the UK. Kids seem a lot more placid and laid back, not so much about how hard or cool they are.

On 23/02/2021 at 05:56, Tilly H said:

@emwatson Oh that is exactly what I want to hear - I have defo fallen out of love with it and it makes me sad because I loved it at one point! 

I teach geography, history, PE and health and social care! What about you? 

Where are abouts do you teach? 

Most schools here prefer their teachers to be able to offer more than one subject so you'd be fine 👍

I teach secondary Sciences at a large College made up of 5 campuses near Adelaide. I also delve into Digital Technologies and Engineering as STEM has become such a focus area for the upper Junior and lower Middle school years. 

I promise, you will find that elusive work-life balance here! 😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, emwatson said:

Most schools here prefer their teachers to be able to offer more than one subject so you'd be fine 👍

I teach secondary Sciences at a large College made up of 5 campuses near Adelaide. I also delve into Digital Technologies and Engineering as STEM has become such a focus area for the upper Junior and lower Middle school years. 

I promise, you will find that elusive work-life balance here! 😉

That can go for most jobs too, not just teaching. I've seen a lot of posts where people move for better career opportunities or more money, then base where they live on how easy it is to get to work. 

We chose where we wanted to live based on the lifestyle it would give us, then started to think about jobs.

There are places in Aus that wouldn't suit me, Canberra has nothing that we came for, may as well go and live in Milton Keynes. Had to be near the coast in a nice climate. Still plenty to choose from. Good luck.