Rebecca2021

Hiya! Hoping someone can give me a little more clarity ..

I am a qualified Beauty Therapist of 17 years (with management experience) and I am doing a teaching course at present. I am hoping to make the move to Oz next year ( seeing as this year is a write off travel wise) and I have looked on the skills shortage list and Beauty Salon Manager is on the 494 Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional provisional visa. 

When it says sponsored, does it mean that before I apply for the visa I have to have sponsorship in place? Or is is something that can be sorted once I've sent my EOI? Also how do people go about finding sponsorship? I lived in Brisbane for a year on a WHV and worked in a salon, and I know that salons in the chain are within the regional postcode lists, but I am just confused with how you get the process started. Also is it worthwhile starting it now or wait until later in the year? 

Any help would be amazing! 

Yes, it means you have to find an employer willing to sponsor you.   It's not at all easy, I'm afraid.  It's an expensive and complex process for the employer, and it can take up to a year to get the visa approved, so most employers will just settle for a less-able local candidate, rather than go through all the rigmarole and delay.   

If you want to give it a try, then most vacancies are advertised on Seek.  It's also worth networking on LinkedIn and writing to employers.

If you want to apply for a visa as a teacher, you'll need to complete a 4-year teaching degree and then get a few years' teaching experience.  Once again, the processing time for the visa is a year or so - so whichever method you use, it's very unlikely you'll be able to move next year.  

Edited by Marisawright

Thank you @Marisawright that’s what I thought. It’s so tricky to know how much time to invest but then I think if I want it badly enough I’ll try whatever I can. I’ve signed up to LinkedIn and I have emailed a few salons so that’s good you’ve recommended that too. 
Can I ask, at what point do you find the sponsor? Prior to applying for a visa or during? 

9 minutes ago, Rebecca2021 said:

Thank you @Marisawright that’s what I thought. It’s so tricky to know how much time to invest but then I think if I want it badly enough I’ll try whatever I can. I’ve signed up to LinkedIn and I have emailed a few salons so that’s good you’ve recommended that too. 
Can I ask, at what point do you find the sponsor? Prior to applying for a visa or during? 

You must find the sponsor before you can apply.  That's why it's so hard - how many employers are going to be willing to wait that long?

35 minutes ago, JohnDoug said:

Just give it a go. My cousin got a sponsor from a company in Perth and from the day he had his interview ( over the phone ) to the day they set foot in Oz took 3 months.

But was that a 494? A temporary employer-sponsored visa (482) gets approved much more quickly but it is only temporary 

35 minutes ago, JohnDoug said:

Just give it a go. My cousin got a sponsor from a company in Perth and from the day he had his interview ( over the phone ) to the day they set foot in Oz took 3 months.

When was this exactly? It may be possible to get a sponsorship in a few months in a limited number of circumstances. For someone currently outside Australia it is very difficult. 

On 19/01/2021 at 16:35, paulhand said:

Things have changed a lot since then, unfortunately. 

I would imagine since covid, there has been a massive rethink on sponsorship. Beauty Salons around Aus would have been affected badly and there will be a lot of residents out of work, looking for employment, when it settles down. 

I don't think sponsorship in that field will be happening for a long time. Nothing to stop you trying though. Just don't pay anyone who promises you they can sort it for you. There are always shady companies and people looking to make money from desperate people.

• Like 1